StromTrooper banner

Driving in America

13K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  T-ville Trooper 
#1 ·
European people, beware of the American People in Cars !!! It is highly recommended that you do not enter an intersection when it turn green, you are recommended by many motorcycle magazines to wait 3 or 5 seconds then go, during this time you will look left and right. People here do not understand that Red means STOP.
Even if you have the right of way, be ready to be cut off. A person is allowed to make a right hand turn on red, however these people do not understand that RED means Stop first, let the people who have the green light go first. These people do rolling stops, and will go infront of you.
People on bicycles do not adhere to street laws, they ride on sidewalks at 20 miles an hour and do not pay attention to lights or signs. They will also teach their children to go thru red lights and stop signs.
The signals here go from Green to Yellow, then Red. We are supposed to stop at yellow, I have never seen this done here yet. In parts or europe going thru yellow is very costly!!
The lawenforcement is burdened with illegal aliens, drug wars with gangbangers, and other illegal entertainment that is not Taxed by the goverment. So do not expect to see police enforcing street laws unless you are in a school zone , they will get you there.

#3 ·
I see your profiles says your in Utah. From personal experience the drivers in UT are the worst about red lights and stop signs. Most of the other states is happens, but it's not quite so rampant.

Oh and you forgot that since you are in the US you should be armed to the teeth just so you can fit in. :fineprint:

#7 ·
In Philadelphia, we have 'flash mobs'.

They can appear at a moments notice and clog the streets.

Just keep your tinted visor down and say "WAZZUP, DAWG? to every body and they'll happily let you pass. Wear a Michael Vick jersey and you're golden.

In all seriousness, car/truck drivers here have no respect for motorcylists (never mind anybody else). It's a pitiful state of affairs, sorry to say.

#8 ·
Yes I live in UTAH :yikes: .. I also grew up in california and Austria, lived in Nevada, traveled to most of the western USA, drove in long Island ,been to Italy, Spain, Switzerland, France, Greece,
But OMG, only here have I seen people actually stop on the freeway in the left lane so they could make the exit. I do not understand the need to be in the left lane. !!! WTF !!! The left lane is for passing, If you are not passing and you are traveling with the flow, stay to your right. I know it's ok to be in the left lane, but if these MORON'S must be in the left lane for no reason, then change the law and let us legally pass on the right !!!! For now it's okay to hold up faster vehicles by blocking the left lane, but if I pass on the right I will get a ticket. Yes that's a very reasonable rule.

Like I posted somewhere here on the forum. It is illegal in Austria to be in the left lane unless you are passing. If there are flashing headlights coming up from behind, you had better move right !!
In Austria when entering a freeway you had better accelerate to the speed limit!!! Stopping on the onramp could get you killed. I know Europe is laughing at the states for having monitoring lights on the freeway enterance. People are to stupid to enter properly and use the Zipper Rule when Merging into traffic.
Oh, most freeways in austria are still two lane and have 130km speeds !! Go figure, no traffic jams.

#16 ·
But OMG, only here have I seen people actually stop on the freeway in the left lane so they could make the exit. I do not understand the need to be in the left lane. !!! WTF !!! The left lane is for passing, If you are not passing and you are traveling with the flow, stay to your right. I know it's ok to be in the left lane, but if these MORON'S must be in the left lane for no reason, then change the law and let us legally pass on the right !!!! For now it's okay to hold up faster vehicles by blocking the left lane, but if I pass on the right I will get a ticket. Yes that's a very reasonable rule.

People are to stupid to enter properly and use the Zipper Rule when Merging into traffic.
Wait, you can get a ticket for passing on the right? Even if some jackass is driving 10 under in the left lane and you just happen to be driving in the right lane at the posted limit? I'm assuming you're not talking about on the shoulder but in an actual driving lane, right? Apparently that's not a law in this state, I've passed LEOs on the right who were doing less than the posted speed limit in the left lane. And that's another thing, it seems that most people are afraid to pass up a police car no matter how slow they may be going, I mean, seriously, if you're doing the speed limit and passing him up as if he were sitting still.......you're still doing the speed limit, they won't pull you over for speeding because you're not speeding!!! Also, I used to live in the Dallas area and I found that it was actually faster to drive in the right (slow?) lane because of everyone fighting to get to the left lane, at least on 635. The left 2 lanes would be jammed up like crazy with people that evidently just wanted to get to the fast lane meanwhile the right lane was practically empty and for some reason I seemed to be one of the very few people that could actually see that. It's like people here (in the US) treat the right lane as if it were actually the shoulder.

I have to agree with everything else though, I hate the "I have to be in front of everyone else" attitude of a lot of drivers, you know, the ones that speed up up to not let you in the their lane of traffic when trying to merge on to the highway or simply changing lanes? I've never heard it called the Zipper Rule but I know exactly what you're talking about and not many people seem to understand it. if I happen to be in the right lane at the entrance of an on ramp I usually allow 3 or 4 cars in ahead of me to make up for all the assholes ahead of me that wouldn't allow them in, I won't come to a stop, just slow down a bit and wave a few of them through.

Oh, and another warning for our foreign friends, it seems that some time ago auto makers quit installing turn signals (winkers?) on certain select models of cars because 90% of the driving population don't use them. I was even driving behind a driver's ed car one day and watched the student driver switch over 3 lanes (from right lane to center to left to left turn lane) and turn left at an intersection all without once turning on the blinker, this is what they're teaching our new drivers....or actually, NOT teaching.

#10 ·
Last summer I was on a road trip through Northern Italy (sadly in a car). I was amazed at how well the traffic moved and how much consideration was given to motorcycles on the road. Much of my driving was on curvy mountain roads where motorcycles had a distinct advantage. Many Italian car drivers actually hug the side of the road when they see a motorcycle approach to give them extra room to safety ride between the two opposing lanes of traffic. Very civilized indeed!

Another thing that I liked was the fact that they don't have many stop signs or traffic lights: they use roundabouts (traffic circles) instead. I think about that every time I'm stopped at a red light with no other traffic on the road...

I got the feeling that, on average, Italian drivers were "better" drivers than North American drivers. They seemed more attentive and polite which results in better traffic flow. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I never saw anyone with a phone to their head or shaving, or doing their makeup while driving. A day doesn't go by when I see this on the road here. As we all know, many drivers here just don't pay attention to the road and who is on it.

#13 ·
I, who learned to drive in Boston, took my wife, who learned to drive here in Southern Maryland, back home once. She was a bit freaked out:) A little by the guy passing us on right (breakdown lane) on 95 just north of the I-90 junction. We were doing 70 or so in the right lane, with the flow. Porsche passed us on the right going about 8 or so.

The next day I took her in town on Storrow drive:green_lol:

#14 ·
Heads up for Visitors

I mainly started this thread to explain to out overseas friends about the bad driving habits here in the states. I also want to let them know when and where the law would actually apply.
I wouldn't mind starting a new thread in the proper area for all of us to continue to Rant and Rave about driving habits that piss us off!

#17 ·
sk8rlee ..... Laws are only there to justify taxpayer money being spent during legislation. But going into Stupid laws is another topic.........
The legal freeway minimum speed here in Utah is 45 MPH, this was helpful for my wife to get used to freeway riding, but she never did that. She would do the limit and stayed in the right 2 lanes with me.
Here's another punisable offense you probably didn't know......... I think this one is from California, but could possibly be used here as well.
According to a law somwhwere, I could be issued a ticket for being a nuisance ( or is it called a danger to others ), so if I'm not speeding with everybody else I could get a ticket.
My favorite game is to do the speed limit especially during Rush hour. But I will stay in the right two lanes, I have had people come up from behind and honk and flip me off because I was not going fast enough. We have a 65 in the city limits on the freeway.
My speedlimit game in the morning is also for driving / riding thru the city. I've seen some really angry people pass me, then a few blocks away there they are getting a ticket. :green_lol:

#18 ·
Andreas...
Pretty funny stuff. I'm your StromTrooper opposite, from Utah (Las Vegas originally) living in Germany (Heidelberg). Welcome to the land of the misfit drivers...after 3 years in Germany (99-02) I returned to SLC only to find people running reds in groups of 3's - I kid you not, I thought it was being taught in the (worst) public schools! I had a buddy of mine who gave up being a cop in Salt Lake after 9 years because he was tired of always being the "bad guy". No matter what the offense, drivers were always pissed off at him for pulling them over...and yes, Utah is by far THE worst place to drive I have ever seen. I will say that passing on the right is not a legal offense anywhere but Europe from my experience - and I am most happy to be here instead of there.
Ciao for now

#19 ·
So I guess you can understand my frusteration here. But my goal as I said , is to warn and advise the European people who want to come to the staes that driving here is dangerous at times.
Have yet to figure out how to warn them about the road-rage people who have guns.:yikes:

#21 ·
You guys... this is all so cute! Ha ha ha!!! Kidding. But not really.

Ridden or driven in Latin America??? Gotcha. That's tough. I learned there. Total chaos. It's awesome. BUT, and my wife (who's from the US) agrees with me, most drivers in Latin America are really good, because it takes a lot of awareness, patience and skill to make it home safe.

Here in US... what I find to be the biggest problems are the lack of skill, awareness of their surroundings, and capacity of response.

The turning right on red lights... Sure. You as a good rider adapt to it and expect it. Intersections, same thing.

But man... people here don't know how to deal with something that is out of the ordinary: a motorcycle, a bicycle. Rain. they freak out! then they do something that's totally unexpected!

#22 ·
I'm thinking you're right. Everything is so structured here with traffic lights and stop signs at every intersection, 12 lane highways, speed limits, it takes little to no driving skills. Boredom and complacency is the theme here.

What we need are more road obstacles, no defined lanes, etc. There's just really nothing to constantly test our skills and keep us sharp like there is down south.

Just joking of course, but there's alot of truth in this.

#23 ·
widening the freeways

Parts of the salt lake valley freeway system are now being completed, they have gone from 4 to 6lane and an HOV lane. The other day while I was getting a new helmet, traffic was vey light, yet the merging idiots had to fight to get into the left lane - no friggen reason !!! They didn't need to pass, they just had to be in the left lane. Best part is that their exit wasn't too far away either. :confused:

Left lane people need to be ticketed.

Whats with the markings on the road before the intersection??? The white or double yellow will all of a sudden make a right then left arch. It's not like the oncoming traffic is going to use that extra 10feet of road if they stay straight. Why is there a painted question mark at intersections??? I forgot to ask the cop after he pulled me over when I crossed the double yellow and passed him. :green_lol: Intersection was red, no traffic, so I thought like the rest of the population I would advance to my turning lane. OOP's Nice guy, gave me a warning.

#24 ·
In New England they have reversed the lanes :fineprint:....meaning the outside lane is now the slow lane, the middle lane is where everyone congregates and the inside lane (nearest the breakdown lane) is never in use....how else to explain this weekends drive back from Maine to Boston? No one was using the inside lane! Even the few trucks that were on the road were sitting in the middle lane (of a 3 or 4 lane highway).

#27 ·
I've been to almost every state and almost every continent. There are bad drivers everywhere. I don't think any one place has a corner on the market. Worst drivers? Djibouti. Oh my good gracious.
I'll agree, there are nut jobs world wide. But since I am here in Utah, and travel once in a while, I will share the road hazard conditions I have encountered and hope that my ranting may save someones life.
I have also met some very nice and caring cagers, just last week a guy actually used his signal, THEN looked to make sure he could enter my lane. Once he saw me he made eye contact, I slowed down and waved him into my lane. He thanked me and I thanked him, a rare yet comfortable moment on the freeway at 65mph.

#26 ·
I am about two hours from Los Angeles and one hour from San Diego and Orange County. The number of near misses from people not paying attention has me freaked out enough to stay local for casual day rides lately. I typically only venture to East San Diego county for casual day rides. The stress of dodging these inconsiderate, cage texters, zaps all the fun out of riding for me. If I know I am going to brave the highway battlezones here, I plan to ride odd hours when traffic is lighter (or as light as it gets here) and definitely do not get lazy about putting on my ATGATT. It's a war zone out there.

Jim

#28 ·
There are some really bad drivers here in the USA, no doubt about it. My wife is one of the worst. Traffic lights and stop signs are treated as mere suggestions at best, more likely as petty annoyances some SOB put there just to aggravate her. Speed limits are completely ignored by her. Turns are apt to be initiated from whatever lane she happens to be in, even across several lanes of traffic. She hesitates not one whit to pull out into fast moving traffic forcing them to swerve or get on their brakes. She scares hell out of me.

Did I mention that she was born and raised in Europe?

#30 · (Edited)
There are some really bad drivers here in the USA, no doubt about it. My wife is one of the worst. Traffic lights and stop signs are treated as mere suggestions at best, more likely as petty annoyances some SOB put there just to aggravate her. Speed limits are completely ignored by her. Turns are apt to be initiated from whatever lane she happens to be in, even across several lanes of traffic. She hesitates not one whit to pull out into fast moving traffic forcing them to swerve or get on their brakes. She scares hell out of me.

Did I mention that she was born and raised in Europe?
Europe ??? She probably didn't do the same driver training I did when in Europe.
As for your wifes driving talents, really hope she does improve before someone gets hurt or worse. I wouldn't want to see you guys loose everything because she wanted to cross three lanes and run the stop sign at a school to get to the yard sale.

I in the meantime am riding ATGATT even more and mentally ready to hit the pavement. Just waiting for that Mercedes or Porsche to be on my ass and a cat or squirrel crosses my path. I love squirrels and cats and will STOP ANYTIME and ANYWHERE so that they may disappear into the bushes never to be seen again.

#29 ·
Over twenty years ago, on what was probably my first cross country motorcycle trip, I met two Germans who were broken down. They had a "Rent-A-Wreck." We chatted as I helped them out. They told me how they got pulled over by the highway patrol on their first day in the country. Apparently he asked them if they knew the speed limit was 65. They answered that they understood this, and they they were somewhat confused that he'd pulled them over because they were doing well over that! :green_lol:

Visitors to America: I don't know where the heck these Rent-A-Wrecks come from, but I've fixed two already! The second was a nice Polish family who were greatly amused by the English profanity they learned that night. Anyway, If you cannot fix a car, don't rent from Rent-A-Wreck!

#31 ·
When I was in Beijing, I think I figured out a certain traffic pattern. I'd often get to an intersection, and really not be able to predict how to walk across a busy multi-lane boulevard. For every time the light changed, cars would stop at random and others would just blaze thru without a care in the world....Very confusing, until I figured it out.

It seems that if the car driver actually "sees" the red light, they stop. However, if they don't look up, or don't see the signal, there's no reason to stop! The whole "if I don't see it, it doesn't exist" law governs almost all traffic sense. Once I figured that out, it was easy to play Frogger as a pedestrian in Beijing!

#32 ·
I'm in a 35 zone, doing 35 / 37 mph. This young man smoking a pipe while driving behind me is way too close. I tap the brake grip, with the help of the " Back-Off " the lights will blink. no response, so I tap again, the bastard is pissing me of as he gets even closer. I then slow down to 25/28 mph and wave him away from me - kinda ' hey you back off', he just waved at me to move on, Nothing better to do I then accelerate away and wait my time, here he comes and I see this cat:yesnod:, or was it a squirrel :confused: , whatever it was I was forced to lock my wheels. Oh my. Oh my, I think he shit his pants, a bus could have pulled in behind me after that and there would have been room to spare. :beatnik:

#33 ·
I spent 3 years in Europe (Air Force) & noticed that they are very skilled drivers. I never saw stupid stuff there like I see daily where I live now. I think turn signals are illegal in Texas. No one uses them, including cops. I still use mine but they probably confuse cagers who might happen to look up from their iphones or makeup mirrors.

#34 ·
Here a co-worker got a ticket because he didn't use his blinker properly. The officer said, use blinker for 2 seconds before lane change!! This is part of drivers ED, in the handbook, and part of the test.
It's like passing a math test and once you have the degree you change Math rules and laws. OH MY BAD - the banks do that anyway, bad example

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.