StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
European people, beware of the American People in Cars !!! It is highly recommended that you do not enter an intersection when it turn green, you are recommended by many motorcycle magazines to wait 3 or 5 seconds then go, during this time you will look left and right. People here do not understand that Red means STOP.
Even if you have the right of way, be ready to be cut off. A person is allowed to make a right hand turn on red, however these people do not understand that RED means Stop first, let the people who have the green light go first. These people do rolling stops, and will go infront of you.
People on bicycles do not adhere to street laws, they ride on sidewalks at 20 miles an hour and do not pay attention to lights or signs. They will also teach their children to go thru red lights and stop signs.
The signals here go from Green to Yellow, then Red. We are supposed to stop at yellow, I have never seen this done here yet. In parts or europe going thru yellow is very costly!!
The lawenforcement is burdened with illegal aliens, drug wars with gangbangers, and other illegal entertainment that is not Taxed by the goverment. So do not expect to see police enforcing street laws unless you are in a school zone , they will get you there.

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
European people, beware of the American People in Cars !!! It is highly recommended that you do not enter an intersection when it turn green, you are recommended by many motorcycle magazines to wait 3 or 5 seconds then go, during this time you will look left and right. People here do not understand that Red means STOP.
Even if you have the right of way, be ready to be cut off. A person is allowed to make a right hand turn on red, however these people do not understand that RED means Stop first, let the people who have the green light go first. These people do rolling stops, and will go infront of you.
People on bicycles do not adhere to street laws, they ride on sidewalks at 20 miles an hour and do not pay attention to lights or signs. They will also teach their children to go thru red lights and stop signs.
The signals here go from Green to Yellow, then Red. We are supposed to stop at yellow, I have never seen this done here yet. In parts or europe going thru yellow is very costly!!
The lawenforcement is burdened with illegal aliens, drug wars with gangbangers, and other illegal entertainment that is not Taxed by the goverment. So do not expect to see police enforcing street laws unless you are in a school zone , they will get you there.
I see your profiles says your in Utah. From personal experience the drivers in UT are the worst about red lights and stop signs. Most of the other states is happens, but it's not quite so rampant.

Oh and you forgot that since you are in the US you should be armed to the teeth just so you can fit in. :fineprint:

·
Registered
543 Posts
In Philadelphia, we have 'flash mobs'.

They can appear at a moments notice and clog the streets.

Just keep your tinted visor down and say "WAZZUP, DAWG? to every body and they'll happily let you pass. Wear a Michael Vick jersey and you're golden.

In all seriousness, car/truck drivers here have no respect for motorcylists (never mind anybody else). It's a pitiful state of affairs, sorry to say.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I live in UTAH :yikes: .. I also grew up in california and Austria, lived in Nevada, traveled to most of the western USA, drove in long Island ,been to Italy, Spain, Switzerland, France, Greece,
But OMG, only here have I seen people actually stop on the freeway in the left lane so they could make the exit. I do not understand the need to be in the left lane. !!! WTF !!! The left lane is for passing, If you are not passing and you are traveling with the flow, stay to your right. I know it's ok to be in the left lane, but if these MORON'S must be in the left lane for no reason, then change the law and let us legally pass on the right !!!! For now it's okay to hold up faster vehicles by blocking the left lane, but if I pass on the right I will get a ticket. Yes that's a very reasonable rule.

Like I posted somewhere here on the forum. It is illegal in Austria to be in the left lane unless you are passing. If there are flashing headlights coming up from behind, you had better move right !!
In Austria when entering a freeway you had better accelerate to the speed limit!!! Stopping on the onramp could get you killed. I know Europe is laughing at the states for having monitoring lights on the freeway enterance. People are to stupid to enter properly and use the Zipper Rule when Merging into traffic.
Oh, most freeways in austria are still two lane and have 130km speeds !! Go figure, no traffic jams.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I discussed this with some Navajos not too long ago, and they said the problem was caused by the all the foreigners here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Last summer I was on a road trip through Northern Italy (sadly in a car). I was amazed at how well the traffic moved and how much consideration was given to motorcycles on the road. Much of my driving was on curvy mountain roads where motorcycles had a distinct advantage. Many Italian car drivers actually hug the side of the road when they see a motorcycle approach to give them extra room to safety ride between the two opposing lanes of traffic. Very civilized indeed!

Another thing that I liked was the fact that they don't have many stop signs or traffic lights: they use roundabouts (traffic circles) instead. I think about that every time I'm stopped at a red light with no other traffic on the road...

I got the feeling that, on average, Italian drivers were "better" drivers than North American drivers. They seemed more attentive and polite which results in better traffic flow. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I never saw anyone with a phone to their head or shaving, or doing their makeup while driving. A day doesn't go by when I see this on the road here. As we all know, many drivers here just don't pay attention to the road and who is on it.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I discussed this with some Navajos not too long ago, and they said the problem was caused by the all the foreigners here.
My adopted shoshone mom ( Carrie Dann , Nevada - look her up on google ) would agree with you whole heartidly. !!!!!!!!!!!! And no arguing from me either. :yesnod:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Shaving? I've seen a few makeup artists, but never shaving!

There's a new TV show called "America's Worst Driver." Bostonians may have the inside track since our road network was laid out by 17th century cows.

Video

I, who learned to drive in Boston, took my wife, who learned to drive here in Southern Maryland, back home once. She was a bit freaked out:) A little by the guy passing us on right (breakdown lane) on 95 just north of the I-90 junction. We were doing 70 or so in the right lane, with the flow. Porsche passed us on the right going about 8 or so.

The next day I took her in town on Storrow drive:green_lol:

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heads up for Visitors

I mainly started this thread to explain to out overseas friends about the bad driving habits here in the states. I also want to let them know when and where the law would actually apply.
I wouldn't mind starting a new thread in the proper area for all of us to continue to Rant and Rave about driving habits that piss us off!

·
Registered
159 Posts
But OMG, only here have I seen people actually stop on the freeway in the left lane so they could make the exit. I do not understand the need to be in the left lane. !!! WTF !!! The left lane is for passing, If you are not passing and you are traveling with the flow, stay to your right. I know it's ok to be in the left lane, but if these MORON'S must be in the left lane for no reason, then change the law and let us legally pass on the right !!!! For now it's okay to hold up faster vehicles by blocking the left lane, but if I pass on the right I will get a ticket. Yes that's a very reasonable rule.

People are to stupid to enter properly and use the Zipper Rule when Merging into traffic.
Wait, you can get a ticket for passing on the right? Even if some jackass is driving 10 under in the left lane and you just happen to be driving in the right lane at the posted limit? I'm assuming you're not talking about on the shoulder but in an actual driving lane, right? Apparently that's not a law in this state, I've passed LEOs on the right who were doing less than the posted speed limit in the left lane. And that's another thing, it seems that most people are afraid to pass up a police car no matter how slow they may be going, I mean, seriously, if you're doing the speed limit and passing him up as if he were sitting still.......you're still doing the speed limit, they won't pull you over for speeding because you're not speeding!!! Also, I used to live in the Dallas area and I found that it was actually faster to drive in the right (slow?) lane because of everyone fighting to get to the left lane, at least on 635. The left 2 lanes would be jammed up like crazy with people that evidently just wanted to get to the fast lane meanwhile the right lane was practically empty and for some reason I seemed to be one of the very few people that could actually see that. It's like people here (in the US) treat the right lane as if it were actually the shoulder.

I have to agree with everything else though, I hate the "I have to be in front of everyone else" attitude of a lot of drivers, you know, the ones that speed up up to not let you in the their lane of traffic when trying to merge on to the highway or simply changing lanes? I've never heard it called the Zipper Rule but I know exactly what you're talking about and not many people seem to understand it. if I happen to be in the right lane at the entrance of an on ramp I usually allow 3 or 4 cars in ahead of me to make up for all the assholes ahead of me that wouldn't allow them in, I won't come to a stop, just slow down a bit and wave a few of them through.

Oh, and another warning for our foreign friends, it seems that some time ago auto makers quit installing turn signals (winkers?) on certain select models of cars because 90% of the driving population don't use them. I was even driving behind a driver's ed car one day and watched the student driver switch over 3 lanes (from right lane to center to left to left turn lane) and turn left at an intersection all without once turning on the blinker, this is what they're teaching our new drivers....or actually, NOT teaching.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sk8rlee ..... Laws are only there to justify taxpayer money being spent during legislation. But going into Stupid laws is another topic.........
The legal freeway minimum speed here in Utah is 45 MPH, this was helpful for my wife to get used to freeway riding, but she never did that. She would do the limit and stayed in the right 2 lanes with me.
Here's another punisable offense you probably didn't know......... I think this one is from California, but could possibly be used here as well.
According to a law somwhwere, I could be issued a ticket for being a nuisance ( or is it called a danger to others ), so if I'm not speeding with everybody else I could get a ticket.
My favorite game is to do the speed limit especially during Rush hour. But I will stay in the right two lanes, I have had people come up from behind and honk and flip me off because I was not going fast enough. We have a 65 in the city limits on the freeway.
My speedlimit game in the morning is also for driving / riding thru the city. I've seen some really angry people pass me, then a few blocks away there they are getting a ticket. :green_lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Andreas...
Pretty funny stuff. I'm your StromTrooper opposite, from Utah (Las Vegas originally) living in Germany (Heidelberg). Welcome to the land of the misfit drivers...after 3 years in Germany (99-02) I returned to SLC only to find people running reds in groups of 3's - I kid you not, I thought it was being taught in the (worst) public schools! I had a buddy of mine who gave up being a cop in Salt Lake after 9 years because he was tired of always being the "bad guy". No matter what the offense, drivers were always pissed off at him for pulling them over...and yes, Utah is by far THE worst place to drive I have ever seen. I will say that passing on the right is not a legal offense anywhere but Europe from my experience - and I am most happy to be here instead of there.
Ciao for now

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Andreas...
Pretty funny stuff. I'm your StromTrooper opposite, from Utah (Las Vegas originally) living in Germany (Heidelberg). Welcome to the land of the misfit drivers...after 3 years in Germany (99-02) I returned to SLC only to find people running reds in groups of 3's - I kid you not, I thought it was being taught in the (worst) public schools! I had a buddy of mine who gave up being a cop in Salt Lake after 9 years because he was tired of always being the "bad guy". No matter what the offense, drivers were always pissed off at him for pulling them over...and yes, Utah is by far THE worst place to drive I have ever seen. I will say that passing on the right is not a legal offense anywhere but Europe from my experience - and I am most happy to be here instead of there.
Ciao for now
So I guess you can understand my frusteration here. But my goal as I said , is to warn and advise the European people who want to come to the staes that driving here is dangerous at times.
Have yet to figure out how to warn them about the road-rage people who have guns.:yikes:

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
So I guess you can understand my frusteration here. But my goal as I said , is to warn and advise the European people who want to come to the staes that driving here is dangerous at times.
Have yet to figure out how to warn them about the road-rage people who have guns.:yikes:
How many times have you seen a gun in traffic?

I'm curious as I have been riding/driving for about 35 years in the US (and 4 in Germany) and never seen a gun in my travels, which includes living in MA, GA, KY, and FL.

I have seen the remains of some very impatient Germans scraped off the Autobah. More than a few.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts