StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to add a set of aux lights to my Wee and would love to see all of the ways people have mounted the lights. I’m currently thinking about mounting them to the GIVI crash bars but am open to ideas. Please include pictures if possible and the brand light you used.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
These are a set of el cheapo Wal-Mart foglights, in which I substituted 35W bulbs for the stock 55W. They're mounted on SS angle brackets, held onto the bike with the side fender bolts.

·
Registered
537 Posts
there's a pat walsh bracket, touratech, and a few others out there that look solid. I may look into hiding a pair of lights inside the recessed grills below the headlights. very hidden and semi protected area

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are a set of el cheapo Wal-Mart foglights, in which I substituted 35W bulbs for the stock 55W. They're mounted on SS angle brackets, held onto the bike with the side fender bolts.
I thought about mounting the lights to the fender bolts, until I stripped the inside of the hex head (both sides). And yes i was using the right sized hex key. I've ordered the PIAA universal bar mounts from Adventure Moto Stuff and will give them a try. If i don't like them I'll get new fender bolts and mount the lights there. Still open to other sugesstions.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seriously considered the light bar from Amotostuff but for added viability I’m trying to get the extra lighting away from the headlights. There are a few theories that the light triangle aids in helping catch the attention of other drivers. Looks like the PIAA mounts will be here in time for X-Mas. I’ll post some pictures when I get them mounted.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I've ordered the light bar and PIAA 510 lights and plan to mount the lights suspended underneath the light bar to hopefully increase the size of the "triangle of light".

Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the PIAA 510s mounted to Motech crash bars with the PIAA ATV u-bolt mounts. It's a very simple, very rugged arrangement. Thumbs up for PIAA. I love those guys. Like brothers. You know. Nothing kinky...

·
Registered
537 Posts
i just came up with an idea for mounting driving/fog lights. go to the hardware store and get (2) aluminum round spacers(used for making crimped loops in cable) . buy 2" aluminum angle iron about 2' long 1/8" thick. get (2) bolts of appropriate length, 4 washers and 2 nuts.

remove the plastic fairing fasteners under the speedo bracket/headlights. measure the desired length of angle iron and cut. drill (2) mounting holes (to attach the bracket to the bike) and drill the necessary holes for the lights you purchased.

i will have more on this with pics in the days to come. maybe i posted this prematurely. i also have an idea to bend the angle iron slightly so your driving/fog lamps will give more side spread of light.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
i just came up with an idea for mounting driving/fog lights. go to the hardware store and get (2) aluminum round spacers(used for making crimped loops in cable) . buy 2" aluminum angle iron about 2' long 1/8" thick. get (2) bolts of appropriate length, 4 washers and 2 nuts.

remove the plastic fairing fasteners under the speedo bracket/headlights. measure the desired length of angle iron and cut. drill (2) mounting holes (to attach the bracket to the bike) and drill the necessary holes for the lights you purchased.

i will have more on this with pics in the days to come. maybe i posted this prematurely. i also have an idea to bend the angle iron slightly so your driving/fog lamps will give more side spread of light.
Keep up the good work. I can't wait for the pics.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts

If I am thinking right, you may want to be careful how much you put under the front of the fairing. Remember there is almost 6" of travel to the forks. Make sure you check for clearence to the fender when the forks are compressed!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
thanks handyhiker i'm way ahead of ya. there will be quite a bit of clearance from the bottom of the alum angle iron and the top of the fender. i'm going nuts with anticipation. just waiting for the lights to come in. i will be doing all of my machining and drilling first and will be painting the bracket and all hardware flat black. i may also make up a lexan guard to ptotect the fog/driving lights from road crap.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i love the set up. the whelen lights are very bright and the only issue was the angle iron needed to be bent to lower the direction of the lights. at first i tested the lights and noticed i was lighting up tree tops. i bent the angle iron just slightly with a huge adjustable wrench (15"). these are great lights.

pics to follow

hey CMDEFO do ya hear me. i need your cell phone to take pics

·
Registered
238 Posts
When I mounted driving lights on my Warrior, I found some chrome spacers in different diameters and lengths at the local Ace Hardware store; worked pretty well as I was able to space them out off the forks.

KevinL
VA

·
Registered
238 Posts
Take a look at these: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HL-HW

small (same size as the 16 LED brake/running lights), very bright and easily mounted; considering the "Triangulation Theory", I may give them a try.

KevinL
VA

I seriously considered the light bar from Amotostuff but for added viability I’m trying to get the extra lighting away from the headlights. There are a few theories that the light triangle aids in helping catch the attention of other drivers. Looks like the PIAA mounts will be here in time for X-Mas. I’ll post some pictures when I get them mounted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
top-notch crash bar lamp mounts

Best light mount for tubular elements IMHO, is the PIAA universal (ATV) mounts.

Black anodized alloy with steel u-bolts. Not pricey at all. Top quality. I used these to mount the 510s to my SW Motech crash bars.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=4919

This image does not show the included black anodized bolt and lock washer that fasten the lamp "foot" to the mount.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts