StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I apologize for two threads started on the same day, but I had 2 different questions.

I have searched the forum for issues regarding excessive drivetrain lash but have noticed mostly DL 1000 specific threads.

My DL 650 seems to have a higher amount of driveline lash than I have found on my other bikes. The chain and sprockets are in good shape and the chain is adjusted to spec. Are there some Cush drive issues with the wee? It is an 06 with 9k miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Could it be related to the way ride at slow speeds?... If you are trying to ride at low speeds (below 10kph) without feathering the clutch, you're going to get a lot of driveline slop (as with most bikes)... I have no issues with excessive driveline slack on my Wee...

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
My DL 650 seems to have a higher amount of driveline lash than I have found on my other bikes. The chain and sprockets are in good shape and the chain is adjusted to spec. Are there some Cush drive issues with the wee? It is an 06 with 9k miles.
The 650 does have cushions in the rear sprocket housing but I've never heard of them going out that quickly. There are high-mileage 650's here that are on the original set.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Go ride an old Yamaha XS11, then you'll know what driveline lash is. Two 90 degree changes in direction and the gear lash in both really add up.

Get the Strom back wheel off the ground and see how much rotational movement the rear wheel has in gear. It's relatively small if the chain adjustment is proper. Bucking at very slow speed without feathering the clutch is about low rotational mass/flywheel effect and number of power pulses per rotation compared to a car or large engined bike, not drivetrain lash.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
It could be simply that your chain is too loose. Might be time for a look down below and see if your chain is getting droopy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2011 Wee and I am returning to regular riding after about a 15 year break. I too notice a little more "slack" or what ever you want to call it when running at low speed. For me I think its more evident due to the less than smooth throttle control just off idle. I find even small throttle openings off idle cause the bike to lurch a little more than I'd like. I am getting used to it and don't consider it a problem, more a feature :) And as mentioned above feathering the clutch a little negates the lurching and the feeling of slack in the drive-train.

John

·
Registered
280 Posts
Put a strip of tape over the joint between the hub and sprocket carrier plate. then slice it in two along the joint with a knife. You'll then have a very accurate visual of the play, (rocking the bike with it in gear, motor off).

Otherwise the action of the chain slopping around might effect your judgement. The rubber cushes don't have much play...ie, with a new set, pushing the carrier back into the wheel hub can take some effort.

Dave

·
Registered
219 Posts
My DL 650 seems to have a higher amount of driveline lash than I have found on my other bikes.
May I suggest that this is "normal"?

Here is why I say it... My wife (bless her heart) bought me a brand-new Wee last year. I was accustomed to a shaft-driven, carberated bike.

For the first several months, I really thought the 'driveline lash' was unbearable at low speeds. However, after some time, I realized that most of this 'driveline lash' was really the ON/OFF harshness of the fuel-injection.

Now, I have unconsciously changed my riding-habits to accommodate and I dont even notice the issue any longer.

I also found it helpful to hold the throttle near the end of the handlebar with my palm on the fixed portion. In this way, I can 'brace' my throttle-hand a bit.

OH - You may wish to consider a pair of GRIP PUPPIES ( Grip Puppies - ADVrider ) which give you a larger diameter throttle so you have more precise control.

I suggest you give yourself more time to get accustomed to how your new bike behaves. Be VERY gentle on the throttle.... almost more like THINKING about it instead of physically moving the throttle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info. Chain is to spec. Will look closer at Cush sometime but just keep riding for now.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had to replace my cush drive inserts, but that was at 40K+ miles. But I doubt that's your problem. Put something in the gap between your throttle tube and bar end to take out the side to side slop in the throttle and add a little friction there. That seems to help a little. I used one of my daughters ponytail holders. just make sure it is black and not pink.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You could check the throttle cable(s) adjustment,my wee felt kinda jumpy at low throttle openings when the cables were loose.:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And check wheel/carrier plate free play as suggested. I wish it was my fumbling throttle hand but it just ain't so:)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Ditto the throttle cable adjustment. Mine required some loosening ( more free play slack) especially when riding over frost heaves and the like. It gave me a little extra cushion when a bump caused the handlebars to seesaw. To much slack causes a delay in throttle response so I had to play with it a little to get it right for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts