StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did I do to deserve the open aggression being expressed by the 'muscle for brains' nuts behind the wheel road users????
Are other riders being threatened by car and four wheel drivers?
Please say 'YES!' ..please????
It makes me so insecure to feel I am the only one being picked on.

I love all other road users..'onestly..I do.

The road I travel is the New England Highway between Singleton and Newcastle....the 'cage fight' highway.
No kidding..on one journey I witnessed three separate 'accidents' that were not ...when they travel at 95 kmph 2 metres apart hmmmm...message to insurance companies, check out the driver thumping another from behind!..fun it may be but there should be a heavy penalty paid.

Ah! I feel better already.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm tbinking it could well be fatigue related where many who are working in the mining industry having to travel long distances due to lack of housing in that area of the hunter.12 hour shifts and the long drive home put many hotheads on edge.
I also believe that tradies are some of the worst agressors on the road just behind sheilas drivkng Hyundais lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
What did I do to deserve the open aggression being expressed by the 'muscle for brains' nuts behind the wheel road users????
You ride a bike, therefore you deserve it, apparently.

Are other riders being threatened by car and four wheel drivers?
Please say 'YES!' ..please????
Yes. But no please.....I have enough of my own to be going on with.

I love all other road users..'onestly..I do.
So do I - I could just smother many of them in a big blanket of love that bundles them together and cuts off their oxygen and makes their faces turn blue from the carbon monoxide and their tongues sta.......sorry - better take a chill pill......aaaaahhhhh!!!

The road I travel is the New England Highway between Singleton and Newcastle....the 'cage fight' highway.
No kidding..on one journey I witnessed three separate 'accidents' that were not ...when they travel at 95 kmph 2 metres apart hmmmm...message to insurance companies, check out the driver thumping another from behind!..fun it may be but there should be a heavy penalty paid.
Used that bit of road on my last FarRide and it was an education - from memory there were about three sets of average speed cameras in that section - they didn't make a difference at all as most of the vehicles turned off to mines or power stations between the cameras.

I'm guessing that a lot of it was a lot of young blokes(testosterone and bulletproof) in a hurry to get to their shift(in a rush).

Ah! I feel better already.
Good to hear - just don't feel compelled to return the favour on the road - remember, no matter what you say, honk, or gesticulate they're still an idiot in a death machine that's bigger than you......let them continue to do it someplace else so you can watch from a safe distance....

Take care out there!

Cheers!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm tbinking it could well be fatigue related where many who are working in the mining industry having to travel long distances due to lack of housing in that area of the hunter.12 hour shifts and the long drive home put many hotheads on edge.
I also believe that tradies are some of the worst agressors on the road just behind sheilas drivkng Hyundais lol
Bad stretch of road, yeh Wobbly, miners on 12-14-16 hour shifts underground or in trucks followed by a 1 hour drive home makes for some fairly innatentive drivers, almost as bad as commuting in Sydney. This easter break my stebel air horn caused one sleepy driver to jump (& hopefully soil his pants too) as he tried to change lanes into me on Mount Ousley Rd @ Wollongong. He then flashed his lights when he finally did change into my lane behind me ????? For some reason Toyota Corolla drivers seem to be the most hazardous around here ?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Bad stretch of road, yeh Wobbly, miners on 12-14-16 hour shifts underground or in trucks followed by a 1 hour drive home makes for some fairly innatentive drivers, almost as bad as commuting in Sydney. This easter break my stebel air horn caused one sleepy driver to jump (& hopefully soil his pants too) as he tried to change lanes into me on Mount Ousley Rd @ Wollongong. He then flashed his lights when he finally did change into my lane behind me ????? For some reason Toyota Corolla drivers seem to be the most hazardous around here ?
He may have tried to do the " Oh What a Feeling" Jump and forgot he was still strapped in his Toyota:green_lol::green_lol:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have found the worst drivers to be young females that have a frangapeny sticker on their (usually) rav4 or similar but the most agressive to be school mums. Maybe even moreso when they have their kids in the car. :confused:
Another that I try to avoid is the exec in a black BMW or Audi with their phone in their ear.
Cheers brian
PS: I have found that the best solution for inatentive drivers that are trying to kill me is a set of Stebel Magnum horns rated @ 139db :yikes: you should see em get outa the way when they think it is a truck that they "didnt see" :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
No kidding..on one journey I witnessed three separate 'accidents' that were not ...when they travel at 95 kmph 2 metres apart hmmmm...message to insurance companies, check out the driver thumping another from behind!
:worthless:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Vispo it's a shame that your first post had to be one of such stress and anxiety.

Dealing with inattentive drivers is a hassle that just goes with the territory when you're riding. Other posters familiar with that particular stretch of road have provided some explanation as to why you're having such a hard time there. It sounds truly awful.

All you can do is keep your wits about you, trust nobody, and keep lots and lots of lovely empty air around you at all times. Then when you get away from this horror stretch and you're out on a favourite road where there's little or no traffic, the real reason you ride will come back to you.

In the meantime stay safe, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've ridden most country roads in N.S.W. over the last 42years and have found this section of Hwy, Newcastle/Singleton to be the worst for many reasons. 1. the sheer volume of traffic 2. the poor state of the road 3. The innumerable number of changes in speed zones and in latter years the growing number of traffic lights. This road is a real shocker and I now avoid it.
I can understand drivers getting frustrated but don't agree with their poor driving skill or manners. This road is now so built-up it probably doesn't rate as 'country' anymore.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Dumping on car drivers!!!

On my way back from the Atherton Tablelands at Easter in my CAGE, the biggest d#@kheads I encountered were a handful of Harley Riders. The black skull helmets, sunnies, ape hangers, you know the look, trying hard to look like pirates without the parrot,:green_lol: doing well over the limit passing in places that provided limited visability and in some cases between lines of oncoming traffic. The two highway patrol cars between Ingham and Townsville should have been able to bring in enough revenue to fix the Queensland budget. The trouble with these possums is they give all of us a bad name.:headbang: I suppose they're called ape hangers for a reason.

The Bruce Highway is known to be dangerous and at Easter up here in North Queensland the condition of the road, the lack of passing lanes and the sheer volume of traffic make this road probably the worst I've driven on. Unfortunately there are few alternatives if you're heading north from Townsville.
Suggestion: Destination Cairns.
If you get as far as Silkwood alive I suggest turning off the highway and heading towards Mena Creek and South Johnstone and then onto the Palmerston Highway to Millaa Millaa. From here you are in bike heaven, the roads have corners, lots of them, there are waterfalls to look at every couple of Kms and the traffic is sparse. The back road to Ravenshoe from Millaa Millaa is narrow and tight a bit like the Mt Lindsay from Legume to Woodenbong but without the potholes.:thumbup: Here you can see the Millstream Falls, very nice. From Ravenshoe head towards Malanda. From here it's easy to get to Yungaburra and Gordonvale down the Gillies Hwy and then to Cairns.
This area reminds me a lot of New Zealand, green, clear water in the rivers, rainforests and good roads. Don't come in the wet season, it's green for a reason. Good detailed maps can be downloaded from the Queensland Parks and Widlife Sevice, these show the National Parks, canping grounds, places of interest and the roads. Give yourself a couple of days at least to explore the area, if not for the scenery then at least for the roads.

These are just some of the waterfalls in the area.

Some of the locals on the palmerston Highway.

On my next visit I will base myself in Malanda as a central point and explore from there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haha, if we keep going through and listing off the 'worst' offenders of cagers, we will eventually list everyone apart from the people who have a "My other car is a motorcycle" bumper sticker :thumbup: (excluding those pesky pirates, mind you)

·
Registered
612 Posts
recently while riding in the Adelaide Hills (for the first time) A lovely gentleman in his heap of sh!t blue ford thought that it would be nice to sit about 2 foot off my arse!
Having never been in the Adelaide Hills before, I was taking it easy ( I do not want to be a statistic)
Then After we got home from our trip, taking the son to Ballarat in the cage, a moron Harley rider decided to overtake a car on a bend, double white lines.
If I hadn't moved over most certainly, he would have been a gonner and my Commodore would have been a write off.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Sell your bike!
Sell it today. You are not mentally suited to riding motorcycles and fearful riders are riders who get hurt so do yourself and your family a favor and get rid of the thing before you get hurt or worse.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Words of wisdom

- just don't feel compelled to return the favour on the road - remember, no matter what you say, honk, or gesticulate they're still an idiot in a death machine that's bigger than you......let them continue to do it someplace else so you can watch from a safe distance....

Take care out there!
Cheers!
Thats good advice - its definitely not worth having a bit of a dig at them etc as half the time they are on something or prepared to use a weapon of sorts....sit back and let 'em disappear. Hopefully khama will do its little number on them.

Trevor
PS Nice pics Justdrew...it looks like a lovely spot to chill

·
Registered
12 Posts
You better believe it, all other drivers seem to think you have a big red and white target on your back, I have been hit at a round about, had my leg brushed several times, been cut off and had wankers trying to get their cars as close to the rear tyre as possible, all because they seem to have no respect for motorcyclists what so ever.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm happy, and at the same time sad, to see that we here in the West aren't the only one's having to deal with deadsh*ts on the roads. Plenty of them over here though, enough to share if you people want some more???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts