StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, bear with me, can anyone explain why a larger chain and/or sprocket size would be desirable? Isn't the stock chain size well suited to the bike? Or is a larger size mean longer life or less maintenance? Inquiring minds want to know....:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would stick with what Suzuki put on it. Why have more rotating mass to try and get going? I see it causing more stress on the engine/gearbox and being less efficient. Just my thoughts on it.

·
Banned
593 Posts
I agree. If the drive chain that is on it now is up to par for the amount of torque, changing it up to a heavier chain would only bring negatives- as mentioned; more rotating mass, less efficiency. I would suspect that cleaning the chain has more to do with longevity than the size, and that the bigger chain would go about the same duration as the smaller before needing replaced.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Ok guys, bear with me, can anyone explain why a larger chain and/or sprocket size would be desirable? Isn't the stock chain size well suited to the bike? Or is a larger size mean longer life or less maintenance? Inquiring minds want to know....:confused:
It might help to detach the size of the chain with changing sprockets to effectively alter the gear ratio; they are separate issues.

In one case, the feeling is that a larger, heavier-duty chain will last longer and be less prone to break. I've never broken a chain, even on my '77 HD that used the old style, non-o-ring chains, so I wonder what prompts riders to change their chains. I'm considering changing my chain, but only because I want one that looks better, like the gold/black ones.

In the other case, a rider may find, or instance, that his bike is running too high RPMs at a given speed (or too low, for that matter). By changing the size of the sprockets, you can raise or lower the RPMs for any given speed. That is a mod I did years ago on the old HD to bring the RPMs down at highway speed. Of course, the acceleration off the line suffered a bit, it's a trade off.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
In the other case, a rider may find, or instance, that his bike is running too high RPMs at a given speed (or too low, for that matter). By changing the size of the sprockets, you can raise or lower the RPMs for any given speed. That is a mod I did years ago on the old HD to bring the RPMs down at highway speed. Of course, the acceleration off the line suffered a bit, it's a trade off.
True, but you don't have to change chain size to change sprockets. It's a pretty common change on the 650's. I went from a 15/47 ratio to 16/47 and kept my 525 chain. A bigger chain and sprockets is just heavier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts