StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone offer a conversion for the Strom to go from chain to a belt drive system?? Chain adjustments and wear are a pain. I know that chains are relativily inexpensive. Other bikes have belt drive, why not the Strom.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chain Adjustment

In my personal opinion and case I have found that I buy a GOOD X-Ring chain, RK GB525XSO, that the need to adjust & lube are greatly reduced. Last year I put on a new RK GB525XSO chain & sprockets front & rear shortly before making a 4,000 mile trip, highway only, and I only had to make less than a 1/4 to 1/3 turn on each chain adjuster at the 2,000 mile mark & I only lubed it at that point too. I get good sprocket wear. I am not sure if that is the case with others too or not.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
VH Motorradtechnik Shop of Germany used to make one for 2004-2006 DL650s but I don't see it on their site any more. It was thousands of dollars and was not an easy conversion. They wanted you to bring the bike to a qualified installer.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It might be worthwhile contacting the gentleman in Germany. He might still have the parts in stock ... just lack of demand made him take it off his marketing package.

And if that is the case ... it might be a bit less expensive.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chain

I clean and lube the chain every 500 miles or right after riding in rain or dirt.
I just must have a poor quality chain. I'm not sure how the previous owner took care of it. I do have a new chain ordered. The sprockets are in good shape, several of the links are seized. I have lubed and cleaned but still stuck.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
What affect does running a super tight chain have on the output shaft bearing?
Would that be similar to running a belt?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
belts are not as strong as chains. a harley drive belt would not hold up to a wee strom power. Notice the 4" width of belts on custom bikes..

·
Registered
824 Posts
belts are not as strong as chains. a harley drive belt would not hold up to a wee strom power. Notice the 4" width of belts on custom bikes..

wonder how they get away with belt drive on a Vrod, makes close to 100hp., that's a bit more than the 650 makes.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Belts are plenty strong -- heck, they are used in many industrial applications -- but my objection is the fact that they are prone to puncturing or fraying if a big stone gets picked up. Not only that, but on a trip to AK a few years ago I had to cross a stretch of newly-laid chipseal of the kind they use up there, gravel in a calcium chloride slurry. By the time I got to the next town and a car wash with those pressure wands the stuff had set up on the bike's frame like concrete. I never did get it completely off. That stuff would have turned a belt drive into a belt sander in no time, but fortunately I was on a shaftie.

Belt drive is down there on my UNwanted list with air cooling -- no friggin' way. Now if a SHAFT drive were available....:yesnod:

·
Administrator
17,373 Posts
Chain adjustments and wear are a pain? High quality chain and sprockets should last 20K, even with minimal lubing and adjusting. Rust is your enemy, and you do not want too much slack or to be too tight. Chain maintenance is so easy, hard to believe it to be a pain for some.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Unlike some, I lube to keep the rollers from wearing the sprockets, the pins are permanently lubed until they are not. I check chain tension at oil changes, in between just a spray of lube. I haven't had to replace a chain because it was worn out. I have replaced a chain because it was years old (no kinks) and I thought it was time. But remember I have a short season and put around 10000/yr on the bike;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Lube on the rollers penetrates to the bushing to roller interface, an important area to lube. The bushing to pin interface is where lube is sealed in.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Lube on the roller?

FINALLY someone calls this to our attention. Of all the "chain threads" I've read, they don't call attention to this area that is not sealed. Lube your "Sealed" chain, because it isn't really sealed.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
lubing the bushing to roller interface

Lube on the rollers penetrates to the bushing to roller interface, an important area to lube. The bushing to pin interface is where lube is sealed in.

Exactly - and this is where a free-flowing lube shines, becasue a thick lube will not want to get into that space. Even though its not claimed to be a lube WD-40 works because it can get wicked into that interface (by capillary action) and becauue it presents rust. One might expect automatic transmission fluid to work.

To those of you who say that WD40 ain't a lube - check out my bathroom ceiling fans. Both used to squeal for a long time at and after startup. Its been over a year since each of them got a "zot" of WD40. Not one squek - both of them purr like the proverbial kitten.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
How is it that the belts on my dyna (84 hp and 95 ft. lbs of torque) and the XR1200 (86 hp) manage to hold up just fine but would not hold up to the mighty 63 hp or so of the Wee Strom?
Boy people say some silly [email protected]@ on here at times.:green_lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts