StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few nights ago I went out to explore an area around an airport. It was about 50 KM away, all highway driving, speeds 100+. When I got off the exit, my engine started acting funny and I had to keep the revs up to keep it running. This has happened to me once in the past coming from a ling trip, I stopped to fill up and once the bike started I had the same issue.
Looking for the problem on VSRI many have mentioned to turn on the bike ignition open throttle wide a few times with the engine not running, turning off the ignition then starting the bike like normal.

Problem solved.

Just incase anyone else has this issue. my bike is a 2005 dl1000.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
TPS problem, that trick will reset it but not fix it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
A few nights ago I went out to explore an area around an airport. It was about 50 KM away, all highway driving, speeds 100+. When I got off the exit, my engine started acting funny and I had to keep the revs up to keep it running. This has happened to me once in the past coming from a ling trip, I stopped to fill up and once the bike started I had the same issue.

Looking for the problem on VSRI many have mentioned to turn on the bike ignition open throttle wide a few times with the engine not running, turning off the ignition then starting the bike like normal.

Problem solved.

Just in case anyone else has this issue. my bike is a 2005 dl1000.
Problem may only be solved temporarily. This procedure re-calibrates the TPS (throttle position sensor) to the ECM. It will/may work for a short/long time. It is a good "get back" strategy.

I would planning on installing a new TPS in the near future. My 07 1000 did this to me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have experienced something like that on my 2003 DL1000. I found that I needed to increase the idle RPM to about 1200-1300 RPM and problem goes away.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Problem solved.

Just incase anyone else has this issue. my bike is a 2005 dl1000.
If you decide to replace the TPS, let me know. I've got a new one sitting around here that I bought for my '02 and never got around to installing. Assuming I can find it now, lol.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,214 Posts
Just had the same problem described by OP, yesterday, for the first time ever.

Was riding around for about an hour yesterday. High temperatures, around 100°F. No problems whatever. Came off highway. At the first stoplight, engine RPMs dwindled and then it died altogether. That's with the clutch pulled in, as usual when coming to a complete stop. WTF.

To get home, I had to manually control idle, basically. That wasn't great fun. Fortunately, I was less than a mile from home.

About half an hour after parking, I started the bike up on the center stand, in the garage. It idled fine.

I wasn't satisfied, because it shouldn't have been doing what it did earlier. I adjusted the idle screw for 1200-1300 rpm vs. the 1100 it has been out for a very long time. We'll see whether the problem returns.

Someone mentioned throttle position sensor (TPS). I had occasion to examine mine about 2 months ago. Resistance measurements and observations in dealer mode suggested TPS was working 100%.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,214 Posts
If you decide to replace the TPS, let me know. I've got a new one sitting around here that I bought for my '02 and never got around to installing. Assuming I can find it now, lol.
This is for a DL1000 yes? I may be interested, if I turn out to need one. Seems it's the exact same part number for the 2002 and 2007 DL1000 TPS.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,214 Posts
Great! Would appreciate any info on the swap, since I guess I'll have to do it sooner or later.

From what I recall from working on the general area a couple months ago, TPS access was not super easy. Crowded by the frame.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,336 Posts
Someone mentioned throttle position sensor (TPS). I had occasion to examine mine about 2 months ago. Resistance measurements and observations in dealer mode suggested TPS was working 100%.
This is why the standard "fix" for symptoms of a TPS issue is simply to replace the TPS sensor. They will usually test just fine. Because they usually don't act up when not on a hot engine for one thing. There is someone here that could get theirs to act up by putting a hair dryer to it to make it think it was on a hot engine.....but the proven method is simply to buy one of them and install it.

Setting up the idle can help. Because you are putting the contacts on a slightly different area. Wouldn't say that it is a permanent fix.

Reactions: Gert

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,214 Posts
It turned out my problem (2 months ago) was actually that the fuel pressure regulator had fallen off of the fuel pump assembly.

Swapping TPS would not be the worst thing ever. I was going to get in there at some point anyway, to swap the air filter.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,214 Posts
Now I'm wondering whether the annoying starting problem (having to manually apply throttle to get engine to "catch") I've had off and on the last several months, could also be a TPS symptom.

I'm not quite ready to order a new TPS, but I'm thinking about it.

part number is 13580-02F00 right? #7 in the "throttle body" parts diagram.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is my TPS report, but without a cover...

OK ladies and gentlemen. The part has been changed, did it alone most of the way. Did not remove the tank, just loosened the left fairing. Here are some notes to remember...

It is not a torx bit, it is a security torx bit...it is like a torx bit, but there is pin in the way, so the bit must have a void in the middle like this:

torxsec.jpg

If you have the option, try to put this on the end of a screw driver...I had it on a ratchet extension and it was too wobbly, but i did it anyways.

The part has a plastic ring around it that easily comes off. when taking the old part off, make sure you get the ring, mine was stuck on the engine side.

on the left side of the part is one brass screw, with this torx security head, on the other side I thought the previous owner lost the screw and replaced it with another type of screw... with a philipps head...no...that was something else. There are 2 screws on the right side, one is for the TPS, and it is removed with the same bit.

When putting the new part on make sure the little ring is in place. Find the plug under the seat and put the bike into dealer mode by jumping the correct pins. Your clock in the dash should be replaced by -C00, that is a dash and a C followed by two zeroes.
snug up the 2 screws but not too tight. while down there my wife was watching the -C00 and she knew that the dash before the C had to be in the center, she got excited and yelled when it was right. all this with engine not running but ignition on. tighten 2 screws, check the dash...
start engine. let it warm up. dash still in middle good... once warm...your idle should be 1300. once warm give it throttle and once past 1800 rpm the dash should move to the top. when giving throttle go slow because there is a delay in that moving dash...

Well well well... thats theoretically...in practice its not that easy and lots of swearing...im fucking close enough... i drove it around a bit, and is it smoother, yes, but my rpm was sticking too high, I lowered it to about 1100...need to test more, but so far so good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts