StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I saw a clip on the news concerning a motorcycle wreck and the reporters were pontificating on the possibility of alcohol being involved and that got me to wondering.

What kind of a moron would straddle a bike if they have been drinking. Does anybody here partake in some swill and ride?

·
Registered
832 Posts
What kind of a moron would straddle a bike if they have been drinking?
Lots of two-wheeled morons did just that after leaving the local bar & "restaurant" that I used to live near. It was lovely hearing them roar down the road at 1:00 AM on their Motor Company products. Having seen a few of these guys up close, I can say with 100% certainty that their headlights weren't the only thing that was lit.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I drank and rode when it was all I had to drive, back in the days when you had to kick start your bikes, starting from the bar farthest from home and working my way back. I still get out and have a beer or two on two wheels,not as much as I used too, however, naturally I drink more when I am on my Motor Company bike. To each his own.

·
Registered
858 Posts
while I don't care to get hit by a drunk, I'd rather get hit by a drunk on a bike than a drunk in a car

the man has a point! :green_lol:

that said, judgment isn't the strong point of most people sober, much less drunk. it's like George carlin used to say " just think about how smart the average person around you is.. and then realize that 50% of people are even stupider! " now mix in booze and, well, it's not surprising that these sort of things happen.

Realistically, the whole point of a bar is stupid.. you aren't supposed to drink and then drive, but you drive to a bar, drink, and then have to go home.. well you drove there, how many people do you know that would walk home?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think everybody that is going to drink and drive should drink and ride instead. That way they will normally just hurt themselves. If the only person a drunk driver hurt was themselves it wouldn't be such a big deal. Then I could say "to each his own" and let it go. It still wouldn't be smart and I still wouldn't want anybody to get hurt. But, then it would be their own choice.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Two wheels, two drinks - max. That's the way I see it. But, I'd much rather do my drinking when the riding is done. That way if there's going to be any falling down....it's into my sleeping bag.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Two wheels, two drinks - max.
Take this logic a little further........

Let me know next time you climb into the driver's seat of an 18-wheeler parked behind Applebee's.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When the drinking starts, the riding is done.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I like beer - nice, well crafted Michigan beers particularly. But, if I have one when I'm out on a motorcycle ride, I'll usually wait til I've metabolized it before hitting the road - as you all know, you need all your neurons sharp when on a scoot, and riding buzzed is probably a blast [how could it NOT be?], but I'd rather make it home alive.

After a good friend obtained a D.U.I., I really got freaked out by having a beer, or two, or three, while being out. Everyone's heard the 1 drink per hour motto, but really, anyone ever drink with a stopwatch? No, which is why I keep one of these little numbers on my key ring. It's really given me good information as to my status :cheers2:, when I'm partaking, which has resulted in me not hitting the road thinking "I don't think I'm illegal".

What I've discovered is that if you think you might be "buzzed", you usually have more than enough alcohol in your bloodstream to get a free ride to jail. Also, body weight is a huge factor in if you cross the line or not - my lightweight female friends who've tried my little pocket breath tester, were shocked that they were at, or above the legal limit, when they thought "oh, I can drive for sure".

Best $70 I've ever spent - - knowledge will keep you safe!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Back when I was young and stupid and drinking heavily while living in Zacatecas, Mexico, l was out one night on my trusty Suzuki 250 enduro for a night on the town. Pretty well lubricated, and wearing only a cowboy hat for cranial protection, I was racing down the main drag of Zacatecas, a slippery flagstone street that had been getting nicely polished since the 1600s. As I zoomed by a pickup truck on the left it abruptly turned into my path, causing me to collide with his front fender and knocking my bike sideways. Fortunately there was a side street perfectly positioned so that I was able to slide into it in full-lock steering mode, then straighten out the bike and continue to the nearest cantina without stopping to confer with the (probably armed) pickup driver. Sloshed as I was, this was accomplished in a completely automatic manner without thought and with absolutely no panic. I must have looked like friggin' Valentino Rossi in an ass-out powerslide. It left me with a pretty bad bruise on my hip where I contacted the the fender, and a dent on the top of the right shock, but that was all.

So I have mixed reviews on drunk riding:
1) it gets you into terrible predicaments; but
2) you may be just drunk enough to ride them out with cool aplomb and apparent -- though not actual -- expertise.:mrgreen:

No, I don't drink and ride any more.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
It's criminal behaviour and incredibly selfish.

Problem is, driving while drinking is putting everyone around you at risk.

Skip the drink, just play Russian roulette with a complete stranger as the target.

Same thing...

·
Registered
26 Posts
The replies to this thread are fascinating. I grew up in Nebraska, everyone I knew went to the bar at least a couple of times a week or more. Oh yea, I was legally drinking in 1969. I was coming home in my cowboy cadillac (that's a pick up truck for those from Yorba Linda) and was motioned by a cop to pull over into a hospital parking lot. I was told I could volunteer to participate in a survey. I agreed, went into a trailer and was asked all kinds of questions, have you been drinking, how long tonight, how many & maybe more. Then I blew into this tube, don't remember the number, but, this was the start of the breathalizer test. So, I was a guinea pig. Oh yea, I was promised there would be no consequences if I was drunk, thankfully I wasn't cause if I was promised that today, no way Jose. I don't trust nobody, especially cops.
So, I became an over the road truck driver. With the new Commercial Driver's License that came in about '88, a pro driver would be considered a drunk driver at 1/2 the legal limit a normal license holder would be. And, pro drivers had to be randomly drug tested and definitely drug tested if involved in an accident.
So, 3,000,000 miles and 34 years later, too many randoms to remember, I'm retired, I still hold a CDL (hasn't expired yet) and I'm still under those rules until I renew & drop the CDL portion of my license. It doesn't matter if I'm driving a truck, car, or motorcycle either, those are the rules. So, what that means is pro driver's are not like ordinary US Citizens, so, I don't drink and drive, period. People who do, are stupid & taking a huge risk especially today and they obviously endanger the motoring public. Check the records if you doubt that statement.
My advice, if you're gonna drink, stay on the porch. That's what I do.
Class Dismissed.

roadduster

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I think that most people are oblivious as to what 0.080 feels like.....That one glass of wine with dinner could put you over the limit, even though you barely feel the effects of the alcohol. That's what gets a lot of 'normal' people into some deep doo doo with the local PD.

If you're going to drink, it definitely pays to figure out how it personally affects oneself - everyone is different.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anybody here partake in some swill and ride?
Most I've ever had before getting on the bike was maybe 4 or 5 beers.... St. Pauli Girl NA and Clausthaler.:fineprint:

Don't really take the bike to weekend get togethers anymore (have 2 kids to haul along with us now) but when the wife and I used to ride the bike to cook-outs or dinners, I'd usually pack a 6 of one of those 2 NA beers for us to have. Yeah, they aren't great beers by any stretch of the imagination, but they were (and still are, unfortunately) the best NA options out there. Yeah, I realize that NA beers are still slightly A'd. But .5% over the course of several hours is still not even the equivalent to the body as a single 6% beer.

With the legal BAC levels going down all over the country and the crackdown on DUI's I hope we can someday see some legitimate NA beer options. The day they can perfect a Guinness Draft NA I will be having that for lunch everyday.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts