StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm not having much success diagnosing my CHEC fault on my 2017 Vee.

When key is turned everything lights up as normal but the fuel pump isn't priming. Bike will crank strongly but won't start.

I've pulled the three pin plug apart which connects to the fuel tank and there is power when ignition turned on. My question.....should the pump prime if l supply power to the pump directly from the battery?

So far l have checked:
Ignition fuse
Fuel pump relay
Side stand switch
Clutch switch
Kill switch
Everything checks out ok. When placed in dealer mode l get C00.

The battery is 4 yrs old so l replaced it.

Bike has 33000 km's. Always garaged and covered. All connectors, kill switch internals etc look like new with no sign of corrosion.

I would like to rule fuel pump in/out. Any other suggestions apprecited!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
If you put power and earth to the pump from the battery it should run until you remove the power.

If the fuel pump won't prime the motor should not crank so your situation is not normal.

If you have a CHEC it should not crank, again not normal if your will crank.

There was a member on here had that problem a few weeks back will do a search for you.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Have a read through this it could help ?

Does your bike have that system where it will crank until it starts ?

If yes that could change things.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help Rolex. I stumbled upon the problem late this arv.

I was checking all connections in the underseat area and when near the diagnostic plug l found a transparent 4 pin plug that l squeezed together and the fuel pump came to life.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

I pulled it apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner, it didn't look dirty or corroded but l was able to start the bike again.

I placed the bike in dealer mode and it brought up C28 & C46 fault codes. As a consequence, l checked the exhaust flapper valve which was stuck solid. I removed the cover to find a large build up of small bitumen coated gravel which had fused together under the spool with the cabling on it. You can't notice the small stones when looking from above. I cleaned it up with WD40 and adjusted the cable slack and it's working like new.

The flapper valve will be part of my regular maintenance routine from now on. After cleaning the electrical connector and exhaust valve the faults have cleared and Vee running well. I hope this was the cause of my problem! I haven't been for a test ride yet.

I don't have a workshop manual but it'd be interesting to identify the connector and find out how it affects the ignition circuit/fuel pump?
Wood Hardwood Rectangle Pest Wood stain

The above is a sample of the gravel trapped under exhaust valve cover.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
1,189 Posts
Good that You found it. I have taken to spraying some WD40 or silicone spray on the pulley and general area of the flapper valve occasionally. It clearly moves smoothly when blipping the throttle but there seems to be a lot of slack on one cable while the other is almost taut. Can anyone point me in the direction of adjusting these ? 2016 Strom

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I'm sure your find will help others in the future.

There have been others that have reported rocks in their valves, your looks like fresh road.

I have never had that happen to me but I did have to adjust the slack in the cables.

I have never sprayed anything in there and not had a issue yet.

Griff the only thing I can say is making the outer cable longer will make the inner cable shorter, this will remove any slack.

One cable needs to be short enough to do the job and the other only need to be just long enough to keep up with the other.

Reactions: Griff2

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,078 Posts
I don't have a workshop manual but it'd be interesting to identify the connector and find out how it affects the ignition circuit/fuel pump?
The light green, brown, black/white, and black wires are to your rear light cluster. I do not know how or why they should interlock with the fuel pump.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The light green, brown, black/white, and black wires are to your rear light cluster. I do not know how or why they should interlock with the fuel pump.
I'll pull the plug apart again and see what happens. I doesn't seem logical that it could affect the pump. I hope it's not a symptom of some other issue. 😬 Thanks for looking it up!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mentioned electrical connection was not the problem as pump primes with connector pulled apart.

The bike is still running well and starting without any issues. Can a combination of C28 & C46 fault codes cause the problems l had? Is there a sensor in the circuit that can identify a flapoer valve malfunction and cause the ECM to shut down the fuel pump to prevent engine damage?

I'm worried that if the stuck valve wasn't the fuel pump problem l've got an undiscovered intermittent electrical fault or fuel pump. :(

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,078 Posts
Very likely an intermittent wiring fault - a connector or even a pinched wire. When you had your hands in the wiring, including the tail light wiring you disturbed something else which made the connection.

Going back to your post #1 cranking but not starting because the fuel pump did not prime is not normal. The CHEC should isolate both the fuel pump and the starter.

I have posted the fuel injection wiring diagram for my DL650. Your bike will be similar. Somewhere around the fuel pump is I believe an intermittent connection e.g fuel pump earth?
Did the link to the identical fault posted by Rolex in post #3 help? That earthing collector plug is also near the taillight.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I didn't think you had found the problem,

I have tried everything I can think of and I can't get my bike to crank while a CHEC is showing, I can get it to crank without the fuel pump running.

The flapper should give you a FI, the bike should still run.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for your help Brockie & Rolex👍
I'm going to purchase a workshop manual as I'm flying blind without one. The Vee is running faultlessly at the moment and l can't seem to induce the problem. I've been trawling through the net re C46 FI's and it appears flapper valves on Gixxers are a lot more problematic then on Vstroms. Of interest, besides the usual FI's and C46 symptoms, there are a few unusual issues associated with this problem which are similar to my bike but involve ECU dramas.....hope not!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts