StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ship/store my '09 DL650 without any gas in the tank. I'm considering draining the tank and coating the inside with a bit of fogging oil to prevent rust. Does anyone have suggestions to make this process easier? Such as

-Is it fairly easy to disconnect the fuel hose from the fuel pump?
-Should I run the engine dry after disconnecting from tank?
-Anything I'm not thinking of?

Thanks-
Joe

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The fuel pump will prevent fuel from leaving the tank through hose. Your best bet for tank access is probably to remove the fuel pump. Without fuel pump pressure, you can't run the engine. It's fuel injected, not carbureted. I'd put the proper amount of Sta-bil in the fuel and run the engine for a few minutes. Then remove the tank and pour the remaining fuel into a proper container or funnel it into a car tank. Remove the fuel pump to allow access for a final fuel removal and use the fogging oil. Re-install the fuel pump and maybe put a packet of desiccant inside. If you do that, leave a note with the tank so it is not forgotten.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Good idea on the dessicant....you know, those little packets you find in new shoes. They absorb water - the enemy of all gas tanks. That said, I'd prolly get a few dessicant baggies, and put them in a small bit of cheese cloth, tie it off and close the gas tank cap, but keep a two feet of yarn attached so you can pull the whole thing out of the tank later, maybe tie the other end to your handlebars - I wouldn't drop em in there otherwise, cuz you'll never get em out with all the baffles in the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Is the empty tank at the request of the shipping company? I had the same thing a few years ago. I just made sure the gas gauge was on the last bar when the bike was going to be shipped. Everything was fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts