StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I come home from work early today round noon, park the bike, then jump in my car to go pick up some friends and spend some time out and about.

I get back in around 8, to find that I stupidly left the ignition in the "park" setting, not the "lock" setting...and the brake light has drained my battery to the point I can't turn over the engine.

I have an idea of what to do...luckily my parking lot has a slight downslope. So, I'm gonna put it in second, turn the key to "On", get the engine kill switch on, and push forward until I'm got some momentum and just pop the clutch and hope the thing starts.

Does that sound about right? About how long do you think I should keep the motor running to charge up the battery again? Will it charge if I just idle the engine? I only ask because tomorrow morning I have to get to work, and can't ride around boston area traffic waiting for it to charge up...but I can let it sit in our secure parking structure and idle it for a while.

Any thoughts/tips/suggestions appreciated! It's a K7 Wee, by the way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds pretty good, really. I'd suggest riding it 20 miles or so. That should recharge it for tomorrow. I'm not sure about idling it, as most bikes I've had require about 2500 rpm to really get the generator working. The tell tale sign is being able to see your headlight strength increase against the garage door as the revs climb. My Vee doesn't seem to have that trait. You might try pointing the lights at a dark wall once it fires and slowly build the revs from idle to see if the charging system "comes on" at a certain rpm.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It has been my experience with motorcyles that it is hard on them to charge up a dead battery using the bike's charging system. Basicly, the charging sytem didnt put out much more than it needed and thus required it to constantly work overtime. But, that was on older bikes. maybe the strom puts out more juice and can handle the load.

I know if it were me, I'd run to wal-mart tonight buy a charger and run it on it tonight. it'll be ready by morning.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know if it were me, I'd run to wal-mart tonight buy a charger and run it on it tonight. it'll be ready by morning.
+1 lil joe...........charge it tonight and it will be ready for an early morning rip:D

Although since the battery did not have time to completely discharge, it may just come up enough to start the bike in the morning.

Good luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after five failed attempts, I've taken the battery out and I'm now searching online for an appropriate charger. I know the max charge rate is 5A per 1 hour, nominal is 1.2A per 10 hours, either one works for me, but where should I pick up such a thing? Can I go to autozone and just grab a car battery charger?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I've been using an 'automotive' charger for everything from my motorcycles to my boat to my lawn mower. As long as the voltage is correct, you should be fine (i.e. the charger is meant for 12V systems). The 'Amps' rating is more about speed of charging. A lower charge rate (2A on mine) takes longer; slower typically is a more efficient charge chemically speaking.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha. I just got a 1.5A charger from autozone, it's nice because it'll also double as my winter-storage-battery-maintainer once I put the bike away for the winter.

I just wish I was able to pop-start the thing, would have been a nice skill to have mastered, just in case.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Gotcha. I just got a 1.5A charger from autozone, it's nice because it'll also double as my winter-storage-battery-maintainer once I put the bike away for the winter.

I just wish I was able to pop-start the thing, would have been a nice skill to have mastered, just in case.
That skill will come with wisdom and experience young grasshopper. haha. just playin.

but on some real, if it was totally dead, it would not have started by push-starting. So, you may not have been doing anything wrong.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
1.5A constant is too much for a maintainer. It will cook your battery. You need a battery minder or battery tender that will read the charge state and turn itself off or down when the battery is fully charged. It may even be too much to charge the battery after the discharge. 1A or 1.2A rating was the recommendation IIRC. Check the manual.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Go ahead...try it with a charged battery, it will work easily if you do it in second gear. I doubt you wil ever be able to push it fast enough to ''bump start'' it with a dead battery though. Remembrer, the fuel pump has to be able to charge the whole injection system before the engine can start.

Personally, I would have tried to jump start it with a car! 12 volts is 12 volts, no matter where it comes from.

·
Registered
242 Posts
1.5A constant is too much for a maintainer. It will cook your battery. You need a battery minder or battery tender that will read the charge state and turn itself off or down when the battery is fully charged. It may even be too much to charge the battery after the discharge. 1A or 1.2A rating was the recommendation IIRC. Check the manual.
I agree with you. I got a .9A battery tender for the winter storage. Works fine. Once the battery is fully charged, it just ''floats'' it to keep it there. The Yuasa I got even came with a wire and connector part that you leave plugged permanently to the battery.

·
Registered
852 Posts

dante662,

Hey, you're not the first and probably won't be the last to find the difference between "Park" and "Lock" on your V-Strom. Experience is always the best teacher! I'll bet you never do that again.

One positive aspect is that you are now familiar with setting the clock to the correct time! ;)

On today's motorcycles with electronic fuel injection, electronic control units, electric fuel pumps and such, it is almost a futile effort to push start them with a low battery. There is not enough voltage for everything to work correctly and the bike just does not run correctly.

As you stated you also have the battery charger to use for your winter-storage-battery-maintainer. Add an electric light timer from WalMart and you will have a set and forget system that will put a small charge into your battery each day for a preset amount of time. They work great in that mode.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This charger actually detects when the battery is full, and reduced the charge to a few milliamps. Then you can leave it indefinitely. I made sure to pick one up that will both charge and maintain if needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts