StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a question.
The other day I did some grueling off road riding on a mountain road filled with large trenches, mud, bogs, steep climbs and downhills, and at one moment at a particular difficult patch my bike kinda stalled but I managed to keep it running from the inertion. I noticed that moment the clock ressetted itself. On the next stall I noticed the battery did not had enough power to start the engine.
This is when the pain started big time. Every time my bike stalled, I had to back track to a downhill section to start it by riding it in second gear. It was getting dark and me and my pals got stuck on the mountain till the early hours of the morning. What supposed to be 4h or track ended up 11 hours of a serious adventure in the mountain in the middle of the night.
I wonder how and why did my battery drained while the engine was working perfectly all the time. Where should I start looking for the problem?

Anyhow, the following morning my bike looked like this.

Thanks for all input.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The battery is not charging for some reason. It could be something as simple as loose/corroded battery terminals.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is not charging for some reason. It could be something as simple as loose/corroded battery terminals.
well, after sever hours of torture trough the mountain, back on the road I managed to start it, and after about 30 min, it was OK again. really strange

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
well, after sever hours of torture trough the mountain, back on the road I managed to start it, and after about 30 min, it was OK again. really strange
You know it didn't heal itself. Clean and tighten the battery terminals anyway. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Yeah, what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Check those terminal connections!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Do you have a voltmeter? If not, consider getting a cheapo.

After you clean and tighten the battery cables, record the voltage at the battery terminals:
(a) engine off, on trickle charger overnight, sitting without charger for two hours.
(b) engine running 2000 rpm
(c) engine running 5000 rpm

There are several possibilities. Grungy loose connections are always top of the list. Your battery might be dying, and the low rpms of that riding didn't keep it charged right to the top. Alternator (stator) or rectifier/regulator may be partly dead. Another connection somewhere loose or dirty or wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts