1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that old thread, but there is conflicting information on the stock, Suzuki washer's orientation..
narrow pointy side up or larger, rounded side up?
thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
And don't bother replacing it. It will last forever, or at least 104000 kms, so far.

·
38,104 Posts
so the fatter, rounded side seats against the engine side?(UP)?
Right. Do it the other way and you can lose some metal in the case to drain plug interface the next time it comes off. Really though, the old one that is so squished onto the drain plug you may not know it is still there is good for years and many changes. Make sure you get the old one off before putting a new one on if you insist on using a new one.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Insist on using a new one, cheap insurance. Get your hamburger without cheese if you need to save money.

Reusing seals and gaskets brings bad karma. Bad karma shows up miles from nowhere, at night, in the rain, when you are late getting to where you are going.:jawdrop:

·
38,104 Posts
Well, the reality is a drain plug that leaks will leak right away rather than come as a surprise and won't leave you stranded. At most, it will get the engine dirty. Again, the important thing is to get the old one off. It's there but sometimes that is hard to tell.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, the reality is a drain plug that leaks will leak right away rather than come as a surprise and won't leave you stranded. At most, it will get the engine dirty. Again, the important thing is to get the old one off. It's there but sometimes that is hard to tell.
I agree - if you're categorically paranoid (as I tend to be) about oil loss and other death dealing possibilities, build a Deluxe Oil Plug assembly by adding a gob of engine grade Permatex seal goo between the washer and plug before reinserting - and you can just forgetaboutit! I plan on using mine ad infinitum.

We assume you do a look-it-over when you pull in for the night and a cursory bike check before hitting the road in the AM, right?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I agree - if you're categorically paranoid (as I tend to be) about oil loss and other death dealing possibilities, build a Deluxe Oil Plug assembly by adding a gob of engine grade Permatex seal goo between the washer and plug before reinserting - and you can just forgetaboutit! I plan on using mine ad infinitum.

We assume you do a look-it-over when you pull in for the night and a cursory bike check before hitting the road in the AM, right?
Every morning...you bet. But, lets say...with some miles and vibration and whatever, I spot a leak at the Motel 6. Now I have to remove my plate, dump oil, do a change and put the sealing washer on I should have to begin with. And what did I really save compared to the headache.

Time? 30 seconds
Money? $1 or less.

I will reuse an expensive o ring after looking it over very closely...but not sealing washers. And I thought I was a cheap arse.

BTW - I am in complete agreement with the esteemed GW about never doubling up the washer by misstake. But reusing the washer, when the oil I use is $11 a qt.....we dissagree there.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
97,898 miles.

I am still using the OEM drain plug washer. Heck, I am not even sure that there even is a washer anymore!

That reflects about 28 oil changes. Make that 29. I had one unscheduled oil change back in 2009, just west of Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada.

B.L.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I see no need to argue with that kind of lojic. From my couple of years wrenching for Suzuki/Honda in a prior life I can say with all honesty that....

No we did not replace seals and gaskets for the commision we made on them. Far from it, the shop I worked for was very concerned with safety of our customers and their lawyers as the number 1 issue, followed by never wanting to see a bike returned for "rerepairs".

So, we were taught by the manual. It has been something that to this day has served me well. New seals, use a torque wrench, double check your work..etc.

Now, I am feeling like I am wasting money buying new underwear every 5 years.

·
Registered
177 Posts
But that's the whole point - we're not dealers, we're real life bike riders who cheat death every time we mount our steeds. What's a little washer mean to us? Dealers are masters of overkill - dependent on mere parts to keep the unimaginable from happening (assuming they remember to put one on!).

I will never, never, never change my oil drain plug washer now... there, the gauntlet is thrown. Find someone whose drain plug has failed him and greeted him with a puddle of oil the next day (he didn't look at it last night!?) and I will concede a shameful defeat. Game on!

(Please don't take any of this seriously...)

·
Registered
242 Posts
don't double it and don't worry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the cost, 30 cents if you get robbed?
Do they need to be changes, maybe never. Does it cost to change, almost nothing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts