StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever looked into putting a DR650 front-end on a Wee? Was wondering what it would take.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Has anyone ever looked into putting a DR650 front-end on a Wee? Was wondering what it would take.
yeah there's a dude around here that did it. heavily modified the DR forks though. something like combined the DR and DL forks or something like that. i don't remember if he was here or on VSRI or ADV. but it's out there. looks good, more like a true dual sport.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
You will end up looking something like this.
(Don't ask any questions I only take photographs)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Interesting tire combination.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm more interested in the engine guard / skid plate than the front-end. Does anyone know if it is home-made or something commmercially available. I'd like to see more pics to see if it is mounted well. It almost looks like it is mounted to the oil radiator in the front.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
A couple of people have tried it that I know of, we made some custom springs for them. Both went back to the stock front end.
Couple of major problems with doing it. First, because there's no easy way to get equivalent travel at the back you end up with the nose of the bike up in the air and a lot more rake and trail. The bike isn't going to handle well at all on pavement, and even off-road it won't be any joy. Second, there's a reason the average street bike doesn't come with 9+ inches of travel. If you spec the springs so that the travel is usable the bike will pitch severely under acceleration and (especially) braking. Under hard cornering the bike will move around on the suspension a lot, feeling very unsettled and insecure.

Bottom line, IMO, is that the Strom isn't any kind of dirt bike, and attempts to make it one are going significantly compromise on-road capability in return for very marginal improvements off-road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of people have tried it that I know of, we made some custom springs for them. Both went back to the stock front end.
Couple of major problems with doing it. First, because there's no easy way to get equivalent travel at the back you end up with the nose of the bike up in the air and a lot more rake and trail. The bike isn't going to handle well at all on pavement, and even off-road it won't be any joy. Second, there's a reason the average street bike doesn't come with 9+ inches of travel. If you spec the springs so that the travel is usable the bike will pitch severely under acceleration and (especially) braking. Under hard cornering the bike will move around on the suspension a lot, feeling very unsettled and insecure.

Bottom line, IMO, is that the Strom isn't any kind of dirt bike, and attempts to make it one are going significantly compromise on-road capability in return for very marginal improvements off-road.
I think I will scrap this idea. I was wondering about what happens to the bikes handling. Maybe I'd be better off buying a DR650 and leaving my DL650 as it is, it might cost about the same.
I might respring the front-end though.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I think I will scrap this idea. I was wondering about what happens to the bikes handling. Maybe I'd be better off buying a DR650 and leaving my DL650 as it is, it might cost about the same.
I might respring the front-end though.
To me, 2 bikes makes the most sense. I've got a DR-Z400S as my "real" dual sport, although in some ways the DR650 would be better for the type of dual sport riding I do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
To me, 2 bikes makes the most sense. I've got a DR-Z400S as my "real" dual sport, although in some ways the DR650 would be better for the type of dual sport riding I do.
I used to do the same thing, with a KTM640A and an 1100 Honda Shadow.
The DL650 is such a versatile bike. It's like a Sport, Touring, and Off Road Bike rolled into one. The Off Road is somewhat limited, but doable. I do about 80% of my riding is on pavement. I really don't want to sacrifice the great handling of this bike. When the finances permit, I'll look into a second bike more on the lines of an Enduro.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Wondered

I suppose if you got raising links or longer shock, the swingarm angle would be such as to raise problems with chain slack and weird effective spring rate as well. And, as you point out, with longer travel on front than back, wide excursions in effective front-end geometry would make handling unpredictable. Wouldn't care to be leaned over and cornering hard, have the front suspension compress to the point of decreased rake, and get a speed wobble. And the darn thing still weighs over 400 lbs, hardly dirt-handy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Dr fork is terrible. Don't bother.

Spend $440 and go racetech instead. Cartridge emulators different springs etc....

Then the following season work that shock.

I haven't done this because I am too cheap and poor. I did own a DR though and I would never want that fork on a DL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts