StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not critical, but it’s been bugging me. 2nd hand 2015 DL650 with 8900mi, I’ve had it two years. Works great but curious about downshifting too late. I’ve seen different behavior on a dozen different bikes, so half expecting an “it’s normal, so don’t do that” on these…

If I’m still in 5th or 6th gear when rolling to a stop on this 650, my shifter binds, gear indicator blanks out, and it won’t shift down unless I burp the clutch and roll an inch or two. Is this normal, or does it need an adjustment? All other up & downshifting is nice & smooth, and other bikes don’t have this behavior.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yup, normal...I try to remember to downshift while coming to a stop to avoid this. Happens to all of us.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
If you are still moving there should be no problem, if there is that is another issue.

My mate had a problem with his wee, when hot and at a standstill the gear lever would lock up, would not move up or down, what ever gear he was in was what he was stuck with until he started to move again, it's a commuter bike so he had to select neutral before coming to a stop when in traffic.

I opened up the motor and found nothing seriously wrong, I tidied up the clutch basket, that only helped it did not fix the problem.

Changing to a mineral oil solved his issue.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Like Rolex mentioned..........try using a different oil (not to start an oil debate here!!).
I had Amsoil in my Wee for 5,700 miles........switched to Mobil 1 while "out on the road away from home", and noticed a huge difference finding neutral at a dead stop in first or second (i.e. the Amsoil worked so much better). Maybe a different lubricant will help your situation??

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
1,276 Posts
Trying to shift down from the upper gears while stopped or at near walking pace won't work on most bikes and is not a good practice for the gearbox. As such what is happening to you is the box protesting.

·
Registered
DL650A 2012
9 Posts
+1 on the oil - also cleaning and lubing the shift lever linkage can do wonders for shift precision if the bike was ridden in the rain (although considering the mileage not very likely in this case)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve got fresh synthetic oil, I assume Mobil. I’ll also watch for temp differences. Thanks, all.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
The problem with my mates Wee only showed up when he changed to synthetic oil.

He was reluctant to stop using it but in the end mineral oil fixed his problem.

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki DL 650 Adventure
99 Posts
Not critical, but it’s been bugging me. 2nd hand 2015 DL650 with 8900mi, I’ve had it two years. Works great but curious about downshifting too late. I’ve seen different behavior on a dozen different bikes, so half expecting an “it’s normal, so don’t do that” on these…

If I’m still in 5th or 6th gear when rolling to a stop on this 650, my shifter binds, gear indicator blanks out, and it won’t shift down unless I burp the clutch and roll an inch or two. Is this normal, or does it need an adjustment? All other up & downshifting is nice & smooth, and other bikes don’t have this behavior.
I had similar problems with my new 2013 650 v-strom.
Change oil to castrol power rs racing 4t SAE 10w-50 oil and never had another problem.
I live in Houston so 10w-50 is good for me. Colder climates 10w-40 or 10w-30 may be better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts