StromTrooper banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I still have a couple weeks. If I can get a new Strom XT in the $7k range that's the route I'll take. If not, I'll grab the Honda. The Honda would be a buy and sell in two seasons to upgrade - the new Strom would is much more likely to be a long-term bike. I've kept looking at used but I can't warm up tot he look of the older Stroms or KLRs...at all.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
the new Strom would is much more likely to be a long-term bike
Why?

I've owned 3 650s Vstroms and currently ride a KLR in Australia. The CB500x is superior for solo riding and can be modified extensively for better off pavement performance. with proven solutions.
$5300 for a farkled up 2017 CB500x is a lottery win.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Don't think you will find a new XT for 7k cdn. But perhaps.... I'm very impressed with the value of my Vstrom, considering a new wr250r costs more

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It’s nothing against the CB, Macdoc - but it just feels so small when I sit on it that I can’t see myself sticking with one for too long. I’m not a speed demon, so the power difference isn’t a deterrent...I guess I should really wait until I have a chance to try before making statements like that.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I'd certainly rather ride that Honda in an off road setting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
One major upside to the Honda dawned on me this morning. One thing I would really like is getting my wife hooked on biking as well - we're both big on camping, hiking and general outdoor adventuring anyway, and were she ever inclined to take up riding the Honda would certainly be a better suited bike for her to take.

I also have just had an option of grabbing a standard model 2017 Vstrom 650 (not XT) without farkles and 23,000kms for the same price as the Honda.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
That would be an excellent bike for her but if you ride two up the Vstrom is the better choice.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Personally with your situation I'd snag that 2017 ...it's rare deal and a way to get her into riding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Alas, the shop made a mistake and posted a SV650 as a Vstrom - wrong machine. I had my hopes up too because in white with the blue trim it was likely to be a XT. Looks like I'll be rollin' on a tan CB500X. I appreciate all the feedback, guys - many thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Good bike and easy to sell down the road...you got an excellent deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Thanks. I put the deposit on her today - they came down a little on the price and I got them to include a full maintenance visit for next season since there'll be so little left of this season by the time I get the permit done and the bike on the road. I'll put this year and next season on the stock set-up, then next winter I'll tackle the RR3 upgrade ;-)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts