StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed on my latest attempt to save Watts. I used the 1157 LED bulbs and as you can see in the pictures below, they suck. If you're going to do it, get the whole LED replacement. ImageUploadedByMO Free1384125514.277592.jpg
The bulb on the bottom left is the LED.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1384125568.074487.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A lot of that is direction. LEDs like that point to the rear so don't light up the reflector in the tail light. This is an LED on the right tail light.

Hit the brake lights though and enough light bounces off the lens to light the reflector. This is the same setup with the brakes on.

I like the obvious difference between tail and brake lights.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Superbrightleds.com has 1157 compatible taillights that have a full 180 degree coverage, utilizing the entire refelector. They are extremely efficient and very bright.

This is not an ad for those guys. I have been using the product for a few years now and they work great.

May I also suggest a brake light flasher. Custom Dynamics sells the one I use. It gets attention better than a regular taillight.

Good stuff. May keep you alive, the cagers are blind.

Reactions: Doncscs

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have never understood why brake lights & turn signals are one of the first places people go to save watts, their draw is only momentary
It was something to do one boring winter. I wouldn't do it again.

·
Administrator
17,410 Posts
Superbrightleds.com has 1157 compatible taillights that have a full 180 degree coverage, utilizing the entire refelector. They are extremely efficient and very bright.

This is not an ad for those guys. I have been using the product for a few years now and they work great.

May I also suggest a brake light flasher. Custom Dynamics sells the one I use. It gets attention better than a regular taillight.

Good stuff. May keep you alive, the cagers are blind.
Nope, most are just too busy doing things other than driving.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I did the exercise

Best LEDs of 2 years ago

They were like 1/2 as bright as stock

tried 2 50 watt halogen 1157 but didn't have the power. Went to discharge when I stepped on the brake

so 1 halogen then it burned out

back to stock

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly, it's a crap shoot when it comes to picking out LED bulbs. I think that sometimes you need higher quality stuff. I have LED wedge type bulbs in my tail and it shines as bright as can be.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Honestly, it's a crap shoot when it comes to picking out LED bulbs. I think that sometimes you need higher quality stuff. I have LED wedge type bulbs in my tail and it shines as bright as can be.
Definitely, and directional. In that you could have some very impressively bright LED brake lights when viewed from directly behind the motorcycle that are very dim if the person is one lane over. There are good LED out there. But I'm not aware of any good way to rule out the good vs. the bad based on specs/data sheets. You can go off pictures but run into the directional concerns. You can go off reviews and hope. At the end of the day the question will be is it even worth trying to find a good LED bulb for the little power savings?

I do run aux LED bulbs (skene) myself, but in addition to standard bulbs.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have never understood why brake lights & turn signals are one of the first places people go to save watts, their draw is only momentary

look at things that are running continuous, headlamp(s) fuel pump
not trying to be a dick here, but how exactly are our bikes gonna run without a fuel pump?

·
Registered
8 Posts
When buying LED lights, but the CREE ones. I bought some 5W CREE 1157 bulbs and they are definitely brighter than stock. The regular LED 1157 bulbs are usually only about half as bright as a regular incandescent bulb.
I like the LED brake lights because 1. they come on faster, which gives more reaction time to the driver behind you, and 2. they tend to get drivers' attention better.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
well without encouraging the rath of mods

1157 for Vstroms actually brighter than stock without other caveats

who has an absolute link to buy these from what outlet ?

It is all BS because I have Coleman Max 6 AA flashlights
It looks like a theatrical spotlight so the power is there I just don't know why it
issn't used for this kind of thing

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I like Skene lights the best, Hyperlites seconds, but they have reliability issues. The up side is that Hyperlites will refund your money or send you new lights if they fail -- even a couple of years from when you bought them.

I gave up on LED bulbs, they just aren't bright enough, including the 5W Crees. (Yes they are slightly brighter than incandescent 1157's.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts