StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a ride yesterday with no particular destination in mind. Just wandering around some of the local roads when I found a gravel road that I hadn't been down before. Looked interesting so off I went. Less than 1/4 mile up the road I found a park, had a look around then turned back and rode back towards the main road. As I approached the stop sign I squeezed the front brake and, much to my dismay, it went all the way to the bar with essentially no resistance. Fortunately, seeing as how I was on an unfamiliar gravel road I was not moving very fast and I was able to come to a stop safely using the engine and the rear brake. I dismounted and took a look and this is what I found... (Note: This is a brand new bike with less than 1500 miles on it. Perhaps it's more likely to happen on a new bike, perhaps not. Lesson is the same regardless. Check your bike before you ride away!)

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thats Crazy! Should not happen on a new bike, but things like this have been posted here before.

Glad it didn't happen under more extreme circumstances. Get back to the Dealer and rip 'em a new one! (And make sure Loctite is used).

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Your caliper fell off? You were lucky. Curious what your dealer has to say about that. Not sure what's included in the dealer's prep but jeez.

·
Registered
211 Posts
:yikes: Glad your okay, I will have to check mine out now.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Have the dealer go over all the torques and check them. It looks like some sloppy prep work was done so there is no telling what else could be ready to fall off.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
You should at least be entitled to a new pair of undershorts. :jawdrop: Glad it wasn't more serious. Thanks for the reminder. :beatnik:

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
How did that not get caught during the 600 mile check?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I would be going to my dealer if they did either the prep or the 600 mile check and let them know they owe you a bit of your money back. That is some sloppy work right there. That should have been part of the prep charge and it should have been checked again at 600 miles.

·
Registered
392 Posts
checks

This stuff happens. Had a friend with a then brand new Goldwing we went out riding and all of a sudden on the freeway he pulls off to the side of the road. I pulled off and walked back, the dealer forgot to tighten the oil drain plug and it worked it's way out of the sump and drained all the oil on the road. Friend's oil light came on he immediately pushed the kill switch which probably saved the engine and coasted off the road.

Most dealer's pay scales for mechanics is pretty low, so it's the odd dealer that actually has professional mechanics, most are not the person you'd want to work on your bike. This guy got a cell phone call in the middle of a simple oil change and never went back to check his work.

You really need to pay attention to dealer service. Personally other than the 600 mile check, I won't let anyone else touch my bike, I hire the best mechanic I can find to work on it, me.

Bill H.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately there's just no way to know for sure why it happened. It could have been shoddy prep work, but it held for over a thousand miles. They should have caught it at the 600 mile service if it were loose at that point but maybe they did and it wasn't loose. Other than short stops (meals while out on rides, for example) it lives in my garage except while I'm at work when it sits out in a parking garage. It's conceivable that someone tampered with it out there but seems unlikely.

All I know for sure is that I got off lucky and going forward I'll be more diligent in checking my bike before I go out for a ride. My intent was to do my own service after the initial one and that's still my plan. I agree with those of you that feel that the only way to know it's done right is to do it yourself.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
It really don't make sense that BOTH are missing or position was normal on 1 then in that short distance it backed all the way out ???

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Unfortunately there's just no way to know for sure why it happened. It could have been shoddy prep work, but it held for over a thousand miles. They should have caught it at the 600 mile service if it were loose at that point but maybe they did and it wasn't loose.
If the same shop that setup the bike also did the 600 mile service they are dangerously incompetent. Humans make mistakes and that could account for very bad prep work. Missing it again at 600 miles calls into question everything they claim they did at that check. They need to know they have a problem. The next person may not be as lucky as you. Glad your situation turned out so well.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It really don't make sense that BOTH are missing or position was normal on 1 then in that short distance it backed all the way out ???
I wondered the same thing (sabotage), but it is conceivable that if one fell out, the other would undergo torquing from the loose caliper that might then loosen it as well.

Personally, I'd suspect failure to torque correctly unless there's evidence to the contrary.

Thread locker usually isn't necessary on correctly torqued fasteners. I use thread locker only in special circumstances, such as when the service manual says so, but most frequently when it's not possible to tighten the fasteners properly, which is usually due to misalignment caused by poorly-fitting aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I believe that the manual does call for thread lock on the caliper bolts. I'm not normally one to break out the thread lock or torque wrench for no reason but in some cases it's worth the extra effort. This is one of them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My service manual calls for thread lock on the disc mounting bolts (rotor) but does not call for thread lock on the caliper bolts. It just says to torque the caliper bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
weird thing is, the calipers are usually ALREADY attached to the forks when the bikes are broken out of the shipping containers.....not sure how that coulda happened at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If the same shop that setup the bike also did the 600 mile service they are dangerously incompetent. Humans make mistakes and that could account for very bad prep work. Missing it again at 600 miles calls into question everything they claim they did at that check. They need to know they have a problem. The next person may not be as lucky as you. Glad your situation turned out so well.
+1 I don't care that is took it 1000 miles to show. Like DD here I think it is a huge showing of their incompetence and they put you at risk.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They were actually different shops. The shop that did the 600 mile service actually sent someone out to pick me and the bike up off the side of the road and put the caliper back on and re-bled the brakes at their shop (even had I been able been able to separate the pads and get the caliper re-fitted on my own out there the bolts were gone so I had no way to put it back on the bike). Before the end of the week I will own a torque wrench.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts