StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent ride, I parked on some soft dirt so I used my new side stand disk. When I mounted my Vee the side stand went right through the soft metal. Don't buy this POS.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I got a nice heavy plastic one as a freebie from the dealer when I picked up my ABS last week. Beats the hell out of keychains...

·
Registered
852 Posts

If you need to buy one, both Lowes and Home Depot have an excellent one for under $1. Just look in the electrical supply section. They sell galvanized covers for square junction boxes. I realize it's not motorcycle specific, bit it is much cheaper and works very well.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
+1 on the j-box covers. Tie a string to a corner and loop the other end around your left grip. Mount your bike, pull up the cover, stow it in your tank bag and ride.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I like the idea of tying a string to it. In the past I've always moved the bike off of mine, picked it up then mounted the bike. The string is way better.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have a brake disc lock with a "hey look at me and don't forget the lock is on" brightly colored coiled cable. It seems like a perfect place to add a plate opposite the lock end.

·
Registered
22,241 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Some great ideas all. I did find out that dead cats don't work well either.

You're more than welcome!

BTW, dead Armadillos are a great substitute for cats. The shell just makes all the difference!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Not just any dead cat will work. It needs to be road kill for proper flatness and to be dead the proper amount of time for best stiffness. http://www.earlthedeadcat.org/ has a good one.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Heh, heh . . . this thread now has the potential to go WAY out into left field!:twisted:

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts

If you need to buy one, both Lowes and Home Depot have an excellent one for under $1. Just look in the electrical supply section. They sell galvanized covers for square junction boxes. I realize it's not motorcycle specific, bit it is much cheaper and works very well.
for some reason the "not-motorcycle-specific" solutions are frequently the very best. ;)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
who would actuallly buy sidestand plate to begin with when, a smashed beer can is free
The problem with a bike is there's no floorboard to store your empties. I can always find an empty can rolling around the truck. Harder with a bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts

+1! That's funny, that's exactly what I use! You can even use a grinder to shape it, but it's perfect right out of the box...and it's 48 cents!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I remember someone making one that matched to curvature of
the arse so you could keep it in the hip pocket.
Havent seen them lately, guess to many beer cans laying around.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Someone already mentioned the orange coil or string for easily yanking the puck back up. I stopped at a pilot's shop and got a small "Remove Before Flight" tag. It's a small fabric warning strip on a key chain used for reminding pilots to remove pitot tube covers, etc. Thought it looked cool on disc lock and puck cords.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts