StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm leaving my office last night at 5-ish, north exit, turn right, need to turn left at the next intersection so shoulder-check, left signal on, start moving over, and then

BANG!!!

I roll down the street a bit, come to rest sitting up, see the bike ahead of me, lying on its side on the sidewalk but still running. Hadn't quite processed what had happened, but then behind me I hear and see a kid coming out of a Honda Accord that's gotta be a decade older than he is: "OMG, I can't believe I did that! I'm so sorry! I didn't see you! Are you OK?"

ATGATT, folks. I have a small scrape on my right wrist. My left forearm is scraped near the elbow, and heavily bruised and swelling. A rib or two on my right side is bruised, but I'm quite sure it's not cracked (I've had both before, I'm pretty sure this isn't cracked). My 9-year-old overpants that were already somewhat beat up look a bit like someone took a cheese grater to them, so I'll be looking for replacements on Black Friday. Cheap Chinese plastic top box is toast, metal Happy Trail pannier on the left is dented and the bar holding it on is bent, but aside from that, that's it. Bike seems to run fine, I rode it 5 miles home on surface streets (avoided the freeway) and seems great.

I guess if I had to have an accident with a cage, this was probably about as "gentle" as it could be. Phew!

Pictures if you're bored.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Wow...glad you're ok!

Reactions: robertyknwt

·
Registered
371 Posts
So I'm leaving my office last night at 5-ish, north exit, turn right, need to turn left at the next intersection so shoulder-check, left signal on, start moving over, and then

BANG!!!

I roll down the street a bit, come to rest sitting up, see the bike ahead of me, lying on its side on the sidewalk but still running. Hadn't quite processed what had happened, but then behind me I hear and see a kid coming out of a Honda Accord that's gotta be a decade older than he is: "OMG, I can't believe I did that! I'm so sorry! I didn't see you! Are you OK?"

ATGATT, folks. I have a small scrape on my right wrist. My left forearm is scraped near the elbow, and heavily bruised and swelling. A rib or two on my right side is bruised, but I'm quite sure it's not cracked (I've had both before, I'm pretty sure this isn't cracked). My 9-year-old overpants that were already somewhat beat up look a bit like someone took a cheese grater to them, so I'll be looking for replacements on Black Friday. Cheap Chinese plastic top box is toast, metal Happy Trail pannier on the left is dented and the bar holding it on is bent, but aside from that, that's it. Bike seems to run fine, I rode it 5 miles home on surface streets (avoided the freeway) and seems great.

I guess if I had to have an accident with a cage, this was probably about as "gentle" as it could be. Phew!

Pictures if you're bored.

Yes!!! ATGATT. Thank science you’re okay!!

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
840 Posts
Glad you're o.k. From what angle did he hit you?

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
I'm thankful you're ok!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Thanks for sharing and all the best to you! Hopefully no lasting injury damage.

I take it you wore your yellow west and even that did not prevent it.

What gear do you have? Given the amount of damage I would recommend to look for a used Roadcrafter one piece suit (ebay). Tough as nails, not cheap but very practical for commuting, at least in moderate climate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident but nice to see you posting about as opposed to the alternative.

Hope you heal up quickly. Should I venture to say that kid was texting and driving???

·
Registered
15,546 Posts
How Rude! I have a couple extra JC Whitney top boxes if you need one.

I hope you file with the Ins co. Sue the little dweeb too. My get off in Vernal Utah got all my riding gear paid for and costs of the bike repair.
Then there was a Pain and Suffering Check when it was all over. Had i gotten an attorney I may have gotten a lot more.
Don't be hesitant!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Glad you are OK and in good spirits.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Glad you came out good enough to ride. Only one car/bike for me in over fifty years of non stop riding.Only one I could not ride bike away from. Bent forks and behind rear wheel cave in of new 1978 Buick.She told cop over and over,"my fault,my fault". Never a happy time but lot better when no life long hurt happens.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would say you're "lucky", but you got hit, so not the case. Glad you not only walked away, but were able to ride away.

Looks like his insurance gets to buy you some new gear and hardware.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
The sub frame will be bent for sure. That's a big ticket item. Make sure the insurance adjuster has a thorough look.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts