StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the first 50 miles are history. I went pretty as close to his recommendations as I could considering the traffic and the fact that I backed off just a little from his recommendations. First impressions are all positive except for the gear box. Had problems with up-shifting to third a number of times. Always after I had stopped never when I was constantly moving. The fuel injection is smooth, no dead spots and no hesitation throughout the rpm range. The bike pulls nicely from 3,500 rpms. The bike is tall. I am 6”0”. If I was two inches shorter the height would be a problem. I would forget about this bike if you are less than 6” tall. If you are 5’10” you can lower it a bit I guess but if you are shorter I don’t think the lowering will help you. You will never feel comfortable. There were a lot of crosswinds and the bike handled them well. I can’t get a feel for how well the fairing works due to the crosswinds. The moments when they subsided it seemed very calm behind the fairing. The little guards that are at the side of the tank help keep your knees from getting the brunt of the wind. Overall I’m very happy. For what I am getting the bike for it’s a good decision on my part. Hell it’s not a GS500 but it’s the next best thing.

B

·
0 Posts
The bike is tall. I am 6”0”. If I was two inches shorter the height would be a problem. I would forget about this bike if you are less than 6” tall. If you are 5’10”
I'd have to respectfully disagree with this point. I'm 5' 8" and I can stop easily. Maybe not quite flat footed but no feeling of not holding it up.

Part of this is due to the bike's light weight.

The mechanic at the shop where I picked it up said you can use the rear shock adjustment almost like a hieght adjustment. Soften it for shorter riders, wind it up if you're tall. I think mine is still at 2 [softer] where it comes from the factory.

Bobb

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it's just me. I have to try that suggestion. At 6'0" when I come to a stop I find myself reaching for the ground. In order to get both feet flat on the ground I have to reach for it. I'm not worried so much about that it's the gear box. I have probalems upshifting into 3rd. Started off with problems almost every time. Now it's less of a problem, but it's still there. If I go smoothly into 3rd, 4th sometimes is a problem. To get into 3rd I have to upshift twice with the clutch pulled in. I'll give it another 150 miles and see what happens. So far I have only 130 miles on it. I had high crosswinds 25-35 mph and the bike handles them well. The engine is silky smooth even at 80 mph. Looking to put on major miles in the future.

H

·
0 Posts
I've only just sat on either bike so far, but at 5'10'' I have no problem standing flat footed on either bike. If I were bare-footed I might have to take my heels of the ground on the 1000. The 650 fits like a natural. After spending the last 4 years with a Goldwing as my only ride, both bikes feel light as a feather. Looking forward to getting a test ride.

mike183 said:
Maybe it's just me. I have to try that suggestion. At 6'0" when I come to a stop I find myself reaching for the ground. In order to get both feet flat on the ground I have to reach for it. I'm not worried so much about that it's the gear box. I have probalems upshifting into 3rd. Started off with problems almost every time. Now it's less of a problem, but it's still there. If I go smoothly into 3rd, 4th sometimes is a problem. To get into 3rd I have to upshift twice with the clutch pulled in. I'll give it another 150 miles and see what happens. So far I have only 130 miles on it. I had high crosswinds 25-35 mph and the bike handles them well. The engine is silky smooth even at 80 mph. Looking to put on major miles in the future.

·
Registered
213 Posts
seat height

I'm only 5'8" with about a 30" inseam. I can ride my stock 1000 with the forks tubes raised 1/2" without any problems. I just put on the seat from a 650 and I can flatfoot the bike now. The seat to peg room for my bad knees isn't as good now as with the stock seat so I might use the stock seat for long distance riding only. For commuting to work the 650 seat will be great.

B

·
0 Posts
I am now at a little over 200 miles. I have had ZERO problems with shifting. Very smooth and easy on the way up and down.

Ocassionally have to clutch to get it to go into first from neutral when stopped but lots of bikes are like that.

Even can go from 4th down to first, rolling to a stop with the clutch pulled in

Bobb

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bobb_Todd, I've had the same shifting experiences as you- a little difficulty with 1st gear, but otherwise it's a nice transmission. Certainly less clunky than the BMW f-bike I use as a daily commuter.

I'm 5'9" (or so), with a 32" inseam. I had to lower the bike to feel comfortable. I've put 500+ miles on it so far, and it feels VERY comfortable.

I've also changed the seat to a custom seat, but that didn't make any difference in the perceived seat height- in other words, the seat is lower, but it's wider, so it takes as much effort to reach the ground.

If you're used to tall bikes, you'll probably be comfortable on the 650. It's taller than my F650, but lowering it helped bring the bike back to my comfort zone.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the bike to Suzuki and they could not duplicate the problem.
They suggested that I look at my shifting technique. It seems that they were right. It seems that the key to this whole problem is letting the shifter spring back quickly after shifting into second and make sure that you fully shift into second with a little more than usual force than I was using on my GS500. They suggested also to angle the shifter down slightly but I have not done so. Needles to say the shifting is not an issue at this point.
However the price of the damn oil filter is, $12.15 plus tax.
Anyone have a substitute?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts