StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing a 6 day New England ride at the end of August. Me and my riding partner are in the midst of planning our route, and want to make sure we don't cruise right past any "can't miss" places.

We plan on stopping at Mt. Washing, Bar Harbor (and riding the loop of Mt Desert island), and Cape Cod. Other than those notable stops, we're mostly just going to see the sights along the coast and enjoy the great, mountainous roads.

Any places, other than those I already mentioned, that we shouldn't miss while in the area? Looking for ideas of landmarks and national parks and such.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Four Corners Park in Madawaska Maine is a nice destination if you have time to go that far north....I went there last summer and enjoyed it. They even gave me a Certificate of Award for going there.....It's a long ride, but all beautiful country. click below

Page Title

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
On your way to Mt. Washington try to ride the " Kangamangus " Highway 112 from Lincoln to Conway NH. A nice ride...watch for moose. Also, when you ride to the top of Mt. Washington, be sure to do it with blue skies or you won't be able to appreciate the view.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Four Corners Park in Madawaska Maine is a nice destination if you have time to go that far north....I went there last summer and enjoyed it. They even gave me a Certificate of Award for going there.....It's a long ride, but all beautiful country. click below

Page Title
Don't think we will be making it that far north. That location did come up in a search I did but it would be too far out of our way to be worth it I think. I also don't have a passport (crazy that you need one just to drive into Canada these days) and Google maps insists that riding through Canada is the best route when heading north. Northern Maine appears to be mostly wilderness and my riding partner has an FZ-1. Probably wouldn't enjoy some of the road choices as much as I would. Gas stations also look pretty scarce.

Once I get a passport, we will probably do a Canadian ride and hit up Nova Scotia someday. Looks easier to hit Madawaska through Canada.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I'd skip Cape Cod unless you know someone with oceanfront property. Look in the New England forum for roads yo shouldn't miss.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yeah, what tmcgee says ^^^ above

Also, hit up Black Lab, he claims to own a bike and talks about riding all those areas up there. He also builds airplanes from scratch, makes sailboats out of trees, and cooks up one heck of a meal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you're coming from Rochester NY, you might consider Rte 30 and Rte 3 around the Saranac Lakes region and Lake Placid. I just got back from riding there and it was sweet. We also had a great time riding around Lake George and Lake Champlain on the NY/VT sides. In VT, The mountains around Camel's Hump and Mt. Mansfield are also great. From there you could head east to hit the Kanc and some of the mellower notches (Evans Notch, Bear Notch, etc). As long as you stay away from the dirt roads, your friend will be fine (and there's plenty of gas).

We enjoyed the Cape in off season (mostly because we could sneak onto a lot of the private points) but it would be miserable in the summer......

pmk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... Wanted to ride to the tip of Cape Cod just to see it and say I was there. No reason other than that. Just don't think I'll ever go there again.

I am coming from Rochester, but we have rode the crap out of NY state. Want to spend as much time as we can in the New England area. Just want to blast out of NY as fast as possible ;)

Will have to check out the mountains pmk mentioned in VT. From what I hear, you can't really find a bad road in VT.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Just want to blast out of NY as fast as possible ;).
Then, get on Rt 90 east, and ride as fast as you will allow yourself to. When you come to Rt 87, do the same thing, but headed north. Get yourself to Ticonderoga, then begin your ride there.

Plant your tires in Vermont before planning any trip route through New England.

I strongly recommend studying the New England map books published by, DeLorme, (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, specifically.). Whether you choose to ride by GPS, or not, these map book are the best there are to study and plan a riding route by; (whether GPS based, or not.).

Here is DeLorme's link:Atlas & Gazetteers, by State - DeLorme

B.L.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Hmm... Wanted to ride to the tip of Cape Cod just to see it and say I was there. No reason other than that. Just don't think I'll ever go there again.
Go from late fall until early spring. At that time of year, the beaches on the outer Cape are well worth it, especially during a storm tide. On the other hand, if you haven't experienced downtown Provincetown on a hot summer night, the entertainment value is enormous.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just finished up a New England National Park tour, not alot other than Boston, Marsh Billings in VT, St. Gaudens in NH and Acadia in ME. I always hit Mt. Washington when I'm up there, have done it on 3 different bikes and a rental car now and the weather has been completely different every time.

I walked the Freedom Trail in Boston this time, parked at Bunker Hill and walked the entire trail, very cool, Old Ironsides (USS Constitution, Paul Revere's house, Fanuel Hall, old cemetery's, etc.) Two other sites I probably would never have hit in Mass that were cool were the Saugus Iron works north of Boston and the Springfield Armory. You can look at the NPS site and see the history of them.

As Black Lab says, study some maps and do searches for good roads, there are alot of them up there. I stayed in Burlington, VT once and did 100 all the way south almost to Mass, which was a nice ride, I'm sure there's others in VT that are just as nice.

One of the things I try to incorporate in my road trips is cool towns you can walk to plenty of restaurants and bars from hotels. I've found Portsmouth, NH, Burlington, VT, Portland, ME and Bar Harbor very good.

Walt

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
By way of clarification, mountain passes are often called "gaps" in Vermont and "notches" in NH. Not to take sides, MA has both.

I am coming from Rochester, but we have rode the crap out of NY state. Want to spend as much time as we can in the New England area. Just want to blast out of NY as fast as possible ;)

Will have to check out the mountains pmk mentioned in VT. From what I hear, you can't really find a bad road in VT.
Yeah, other than advertising that they currently have "Zero tolerance - not even 1mph over the speed limit" in place, there are some nice roads.

Most riders do the four gap roads, then cut across into the White mountains, taking one or more of the Notch roads. Then they head a bit North up to Rangeley Lake, then east to the coast. The Maine seacoast is as much as 1/3rd the Atlantic Seaboard (depending how close you stay to the water) so you can spend as much or as little time as you want - most stick to "Mid-Coast" and "Down East" which are the central parts.

There is NO WAY I would visit the Cape on a bike in the Summer. It's crowded and expensive. Boston is a great place to visit but again, nothing special for a bike.

Maybe because I've hiked it 6 times, I have zero desire to go up Mt Washington on a motorcycle, especially since the odds of being able to see anything aren't very good. Out of 6 trips, I've only been able to see anything but clouds twice.

W MA and the Berkshires are often overlooked.

While the 'mangus is nice (especially early AM) I almost prefer Rt 113/113A. I try to ride the 'mangus E-W in the early AM on a weekday. Last time I did so (in my WRX) I passed two cars going my way and six the other. In the afternoon, by contrast, you'll face RV's and HD's.

two days....

·
Registered
128 Posts
RI

Sounds great! If your coming through Rhode Island let me know, pm me for my number maybe we can get together and drive down to ocean drive in Newport, RI always listed as a great new england ride. Drive through downtown, eat on the cobblestone Thames St., then down past the international tennis hall of fame, sailboats are always around, the past the famous Newport mansions (astors, the breakers/vanderbilt house, marble house) then stretch your legs on the cliff walk after riding down ocean drive. ride safe!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys! It's a huge help as this will be our first ride east of the Adirondacks. Definitely going to consider skipping Cape Cod as it sounds like it might not be worth it. A little disappointed though as I'm not sure I'll ever venture out that way again. Don't want to ruin a day getting stuck in traffic though. Will have to think about it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
on the cape idea, what everyone has said is pretty much the truth but if you do go... avoid heading towards the cape on friday afternoon/eve especially route 3. if timing works out try mid week. if you want to see nice beaches get there early, although with the bike you should be ok getting a parking spot. my favorite beach is mayflower beach in dennis, bay side, calm, clean, clear, warm (relative to n.e.) waters...pssst if you haven't heard watch out for the great whites!(they are more on the atlantic side, if that's your thing head to chatham to see the seals when fishing boats come into dock and if you are rich :mrgreen: stay at the chatham bars inn for the night!

i also agree the bershires are overlooked, the quabbin reservoir loop is a good central mass ride. you can't go wrong taking route 2 east from ny line through at least north adams/adams area, nice hairpin turn/lookout

i would avoid boston unless you wanna park the bike and walk maybe stay the night. get dinner in the north end/little italy, see show in chinatown, walk boston common, 5th ave of boston is newbury st., avoid south boston/dorchester/roxbury/mattapan unless you are packing...not a lunch either... :yikes:

i live in RI, work in MA so any other ?'s give me a shout.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts