StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New member to the site from Ohio. Doing some information gathering on the wee's. I currently ride an FJR and have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon. Last month my wife and I rode out west through the MT, WY & SD areas. During that trip she let it be known that she was interested in riding her own bike again. Kids put that on hold nearly 10 years ago.

So we find ourselves leaning heavily toward the wee strom. I know a guy that rides one and I think it would make a very capable mount for both her and I.

So, let the fun begin! :thumbup:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
The Wee is often considered a poor first bike. Should be especially true for many females. A most excellant bike, however, for the right person.

Welcome, and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Depending what she rode before it shouldn't be any more difficult to get used to than any other bike in the same category.

The height and weight are the only things to assess in "fitting" the bike to her [plenty of mods available to drop the seat/bike height to suit].

The Wee-Strom is a fantastic "allrounder" in versatility.

A very capable commuter with dirt ability thrown in as well.

Super reliable and great for long distance touring [don't be surprised if on an overtake on a ride you look in the FJR mirrors only to find she is right on your number plate still with you. My cuz on his modded 1600cc Super Glide couldn't get away from me on high speed passes on the highways on a road trip :yikes:]

Lots of women ride Stroms, both here in Oz and in other places in the world too.

If your wife can handle riding something on the larger size [now get your minds up out of the gutter boys, I wasn't referring to THAT :biggrinjester: ] the Wee would be just the ticket.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
We like our Wees! Depending on her height, strength, and balance, this rather tall, top heavy can take a while to get used to. I tell a rider new on a strom to be very careful to keep it exactly upright when coming to a stop. Stop first, then look around at traffic. If needed, the front & rear suspension can be lowered and the seat lowered. And the bike isn't a bit top heavy or awkward when riding, just when stopped or about to stop.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I haven't ridden that many bikes, and never a cruiser, so I am only just beginning to appreciate what people are talking about when they say the Wee is top-heavy. Slow turns and it will start to tip. A little front brake and it will want to pitch over further. Grab the bars (and brakes by accident) to catch it, and you could be looking at clouds. I finally figured this was the cause of my one 0mph, dirt-road drop and a few close calls. Not a big deal for someone my size - I can flat-foot it with plenty of knee bend, but could be a big problem for those of smaller stature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your wife can handle riding something on the larger size [now get your minds up out of the gutter boys, I wasn't referring to THAT :biggrinjester: ] the Wee would be just the ticket.
I don't know if she can handle something larger sized, as she's used to riding something wee sized. (We are still talking about bikes... :wink:)

Seriously though, she was plenty competent on road before her hiatus, and has been chasing the boys around off-road on their dirtbikes. She's 5'8" and plenty strong, so I think she'll be alright.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I don't know if she can handle something larger sized, as she's used to riding something wee sized. (We are still talking about bikes... :wink:)

Seriously though, she was plenty competent on road before her hiatus, and has been chasing the boys around off-road on their dirtbikes. She's 5'8" and plenty strong, so I think she'll be alright.
Carry on. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts