StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had a great ride out at the coast today. The weather was perfect and we were having a great time. As we came into Taupiri Beach, following a car I noticed a couple of bikes close up behind us. They were as keen as us to get past the cage but I took it easy coming down into a relatively unknown beach. Kids and dogs and all. You never know do you?
There was a sharp bang on the bottom of the bike which initially didn't concern me too much, I kept my eye on the car in front and then checked my mirror to see the bikes had dropped way back and there appeared to be a smoke trail which I knew wasn't coming out of the car. We were also slipping on the road a bit now as we came to a stop, and it became apparent that it wasn't all right down under. I cut the motor, noticing at the same time that it wasn't cooking and staring down at the steaming mess gushing out on the road thought 'We're up for a new rad/oil cooler.
Nope! It's a thumb nail size hole right through the sump! Bugger! What are my chances of taking Mrs Lav to the Coromandel Peninsular on Boxing day now? Anyone got a RHS engine crankcase they don't want? The guys that were following slid through the mess and avoided crashing but was a near thing! Merry Xmas!
Anyone had a similar experience or know how easy/hard it is to get this part assuming there is no other damage?

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Ouch, that really sucks. Any idea what happened, catch a rock or something ? Hopefully it wasn't internal parts trying to get out.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
I feel your pain.

You might want a skid plate to go along with the new case. Hope you're rolling in time for New Years.

You live in a lovely part of the world. I remember it fondly.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea what we hit. Must have flicked up from front wheel and jammed between road and sump to make the noise it made and do the damage it did! Very lucky we were going slow as back wheel was Dripping with hot oil! So begins the slow process of insurance claims!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts