StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure Black

When I bought my '12 adventure I got it at the end of '12 so I thought I got a good deal with OTD price of $11,200. When I traded it this past summer for the '14 1000 I got $5700 on trade with quite a few add-ons and 15,000 miles.....

No matter who says what about these bikes, it's a shame they don't keep their value as they should!! They are great bikes....

·
Registered
66 Posts
11000 seems high. I paid 7500 for a new 13 base model in September. It's the off season for bikes so I'm sure dealers are desperate to move some.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
There's one for sale on another forum, 2012 with 19,000 miles and some nice add on's. Something like $4800 is the asking price. No one has jumped on this deal yet, which is surprising.
Leftover 2014's, can be had for $7500, which is a pretty decent deal, but I don't believe the 650's fall in the 0% financing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's been my experience that unless you are selling to an individual, you won't get more than what the "book" says. You are better off stripping it when you trade. On the other hand, individuals see the value in the "extras" but still don't expect more than 35% of what you paid for them. Do you love the new bike? I just lost my '12 650 Adventure and I'm debating what to get to replace it. Can't decide between the 650 or 1000 and if the difference in price is worth the $. I've not ridden the 1000 yet...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been my experience that unless you are selling to an individual, you won't get more than what the "book" says. You are better off stripping it when you trade. On the other hand, individuals see the value in the "extras" but still don't expect more than 35% of what you paid for them. Do you love the new bike? I just lost my '12 650 Adventure and I'm debating what to get to replace it. Can't decide between the 650 or 1000 and if the difference in price is worth the $. I've not ridden the 1000 yet...
The main reason I made the switch was the power, or lack there of in the 650. When your fully loaded and twist the throttle it has Geo Metro power......another words, non existent. I did buy the 650 for a 5000 mile trip and it did great, I was very happy with everything else about the bike, but the 1000 fills my power needs nicely. Yes there are more powerful bikes with more amenities out there but for the price, especially now, you can't go wrong. I regret nothing........the 1000 is an awesome bike.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
11000 seems high. I paid 7500 for a new 13 base model in September. It's the off season for bikes so I'm sure dealers are desperate to move some.
your right, I think my Adv was $9200......

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's one for sale on another forum, 2012 with 19,000 miles and some nice add on's. Something like $4800 is the asking price. No one has jumped on this deal yet, which is surprising.
Leftover 2014's, can be had for $7500, which is a pretty decent deal, but I don't believe the 650's fall in the 0% financing.
Hence the post.......What a shame. I feel these bikes are worth every dollar you pay for them, just wish they wouldn't drop off in value so fast.....

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
It's Mellow's bike in Texas and is currently at $5800. I know him and I can guarantee the bike is flawless. I'd buy it but it would cost me a plane ticket and 3 days off work to ride it home. Someone should definitely buy that bike from him soon... they would be VERY HAPPY!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I paid just under 8k out the door for my 2014 650A. Of course it was a bit used...it had 00001 miles on it. I did fly to Pittsburgh to pick it up but I thought it was worth the travel cost. There is a shop in the South that has some really hot deals going on right now. There is a recent thread where a member is trying to decide whether to jump on a super Tenere for under 8k. There are deals to be had if you will travel to get it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Kelley Blue Book for your zip code shows $3770 trade in value for the base model DL650 in good condition. What they gave you seems fair as far as a trade in goes. Retail for the base model at the dealer shows $5480. Of course, your Adventure model will be higher than these base model prices.

Selling directly to an individual yields more money, but the wait and bother is yours. Some states also discount the sales tax when the old vehicle is traded in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I paid $12 000 for my 2012 in july 2013 , that was $10500 for the bike plus the $1500 accessorie package , which included , top box , centre stand , hand protectors , crash bars ,

Plus since , lower seat , lowering links , lowering pegs , mirror extenders , gps mount for garmin 660 .

I was offered a $8500 dollar change over on a 2014 1000 making mine worth $6500 .

For that money its not worth selling only done 12000 klm , the way i figure it is at the moment its my first bike because i enjoy it so i'll tickle it up with a givi screen and a exhaust , and sometime in the future it may get relegated to my second bike , but its staying

Sometimes things devalue so much its just not worth selling them ,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sick is the right word

Well, I've got a 2014 Adventure. I'll make this short. Had a KLR 650 2014, traded it in, lost 2500 on that (the bike was paid for), ended up putting it toward the DL650 ADV. Owed 7200 on DL650. Was thinking about a DL1000 or Super Tenere. He told me I'd loose about 2000 of the DL650. So, first and foremost, I LOVE THIS DAMN BIKE (DL 650), it's just that it has introduced me to riding and now I feel I may want something else larger (don't know why; just do). Anyway, I'm now starting to think just get a bike that I feel like I'd like to keep for a while. The second problem; such a bike might not exist. I mean, who's to say that a DL1000 or Yamaha Tenere would be satisfy six months or a year down the road. Thats when something weird happens. I start coming back to this forum and realize how much I like this bike. Or better yet, I start noticing when I look in adventure touring magazines how many times I see a 650 wee strom. Finally, even my own dealer has advised me to keep the bike, and states that many people trade them out and come back to them.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
These bikes are not a good investment for sure. Buy them as cheap as you can when new. Same for a new truck like GM or Ford. Value drops as soon as you drive them off the lot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure Black

When I bought my '12 adventure I got it at the end of '12 so I thought I got a good deal with OTD price of $11,200. When I traded it this past summer for the '14 1000 I got $5700 on trade with quite a few add-ons and 15,000 miles.....

No matter who says what about these bikes, it's a shame they don't keep their value as they should!! They are great bikes....
Your dealer does not appear to be giving you too much of a break. But if you have a great relationship with your dealer and rely on their service, then paying a premium when buying and trading, might be the right thing to do.

I think you'll find that many dealers discount much more heavily on bikes that have been sitting around awhile.

That CL ad is not a bad deal, but this is the time of year when even better deals can be found on left overs.

Right now there are a bunch of new 2014's on cycletrader advertised for $6147 and a new 13 adv for $7399.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If depreciation is an important category in the quest for a car or bike, buy used rather than new and deal with private parties rather than dealers. Price differences are more about used v. new and dealer profits than brands.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I bought my 2012 Adventure in April 2013 right at $8,000 and zero interest. I added a GIVI skid plate for rock debris protection for the oil filter $130 and grip puppies $8. The bike will do over 100mph with 200lb me on board and the cases & rack full. It carries a huge load, gets great mileage and is easy for me to maintain & service in the garage. I don't need anymore from a bike than that. Research what you want in a motorcycle for the "actual" riding you do. Are you really going to ride an adventure bike around the world, across the US, into the adjacent state or is it just around town and occasionally thru the mountains? Then after you have it awhile and know its what you want and only then ADD STUFF. Then keep it, ride it, enjoy it and maintain it. The grass is not always greener...........................

·
Administrator
17,389 Posts
Motorcycles are not an investment, matter of fact they tend to be a money pit. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Try selling or trading a Harley in an oversaturated market full of garage queens, if you ever want to know how Carthage felt after Rome was done with her....

·
Registered
43 Posts
A couple of things to add, try to buy off season like with everything. Bikes are way cheaper in the dead of winter. What I paid for my Glee was a steal. Check MCN for used bike prices, seems the 650 holds it's value as good as almost any bike except maybe the Bonneville's. Also the manufacturers are not exactly thriving and they are being very aggressive to sell product. Yamaha alone is putting a hurting on used bike sales, I mean when you can buy a new 2013 Super Tenere for 8k if you shop around, or bikes like the Honda CB500X for 4,500, used bikes are not exactly going to be selling for a lot of money, those bikes are pretty dang good for what they are. It's a good time to buy new bikes but not good time for over saturated used models. Also some people abuse the V-strom when they need a DR650. I think clean non dirt road ridden Stroms in good colors move quickly.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I sometimes like to calculate how much I would lose by trading in my Vee, and then I think about all the improvements I could make to the Vee with that amount of money. Helps stop me from trading in the bike and makes me feel better about spending on farkles :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts