StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if mine is the only one that does this, or if it's a common issue with the 1k... Since new, I've just assumed a periodic tweak is necessary, but the last couple weeks, with the crazy temp swings we have almost daily, I'm finding my idle is out of whack as often as twice a day.

Example: Wake up in the morning and it's 50 degrees outside. Start it up, drive a couple miles til it's up to temp, and the idle is OK. Then, when I leave work, it's 80 degrees outside. After a couple miles of warm-up, idle is down around 1000-1100... Too low. Occasional backfire, lousy throttle response off-idle, so I tweak the idle up into the sweet spot around 1300. Now, the next morning, when it's down around 50 again, after warm-up, the idle sits around 1500-1600, and it'll dangle up around 2000-2500 when I close the throttle and disengage the clutch before settling to 1500-1600. So, I tweak it back down again... Is this constant idle tweaking normal, or is there something else I need to be looking at?

It didn't get any better when I synched the throttle bodies last fall (and before they replaced the injectors this spring... Not sure if that would have affected it).

Just wondering... Thanks, gang!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Are you sure you're setting the idle when the bike is fully warmed? 1100-1200 seems to be the preferred setting although the spec is 1200 +/- 100. A cold idle will be higher. Was a proper gap was present when the TBS was done?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you're setting the idle when the bike is fully warmed? 1100-1200 seems to be the preferred setting although the spec is 1200 +/- 100. A cold idle will be higher. Was a proper gap was present when the TBS was done?

Good questions.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the bike is fully warmed. After two miles, I'm up to two bars on the temp gauge (which is where it normally runs while moving) and before I can get the screwdriver out of the case, it's sitting on three bars (again, where it normally sits stopped at idle for a few minutes).

As for the throttle stop gap, I don't recall whether or not I checked it when I did the TBS, so it's entirely possible I didn't check it. It's on the list of stuff to work on, but it's going to be several weeks before I get the time to do any wrenching on it. Can the stop be seen/measured without pulling the plastics off? Would the dealer have needed to reset everything when they replaced the injectors?

·
38,103 Posts
The injectors are not involved with the linkage settings. Injector problems are very rare. I suspect something else was going on when the dealer guessed an injector problem. I'll let somebody who has a 1000 speak regarding the accessibility.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect something else was going on when the dealer guessed an injector problem.
Indeed... They were gushing fuel. Just thought the linkages may have been involved in the replacement process if they had to move/remove either throttle body to access them. I didn't look into the process all that much as it was a warranty service.

·
38,103 Posts
That's really unheard of. The hose between the fuel rails that feed the injectors is the usual source of leaks. Having both injectors go at one is practically impossible.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Indeed... They were gushing fuel. Just thought the linkages may have been involved in the replacement process if they had to move/remove either throttle body to access them. I didn't look into the process all that much as it was a warranty service.
When you say Gushing, do you mean the bike is running rich or leaking outside?

The throttle position sensor can be acting up. Mine did for a long time before it finnally got to where it would just stall after a long highway run. It would idle weird and cough and fart on opening the throttle.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Ya' might check the air intake temperature sensor. Mine went kaput and the bike didn't idle correctly in cold weather.

If you have a service manual, you can read how to test the sensor. It's not hard...

Just curious if mine is the only one that does this, or if it's a common issue with the 1k... Since new, I've just assumed a periodic tweak is necessary, but the last couple weeks, with the crazy temp swings we have almost daily, I'm finding my idle is out of whack as often as twice a day.

Example: Wake up in the morning and it's 50 degrees outside. Start it up, drive a couple miles til it's up to temp, and the idle is OK. Then, when I leave work, it's 80 degrees outside. After a couple miles of warm-up, idle is down around 1000-1100... Too low. Occasional backfire, lousy throttle response off-idle, so I tweak the idle up into the sweet spot around 1300. Now, the next morning, when it's down around 50 again, after warm-up, the idle sits around 1500-1600, and it'll dangle up around 2000-2500 when I close the throttle and disengage the clutch before settling to 1500-1600. So, I tweak it back down again... Is this constant idle tweaking normal, or is there something else I need to be looking at?

It didn't get any better when I synched the throttle bodies last fall (and before they replaced the injectors this spring... Not sure if that would have affected it).

Just wondering... Thanks, gang!

·
Administrator
17,518 Posts
yes idle can change per change in weather temp. and will need periodic tweak. i got tired of doing the screw driver thing. so, i installed a small alum. radio knob from radio shack. the knob fits over idle screw and has set screw to lock it on. now idle is EZ to adjust. :yesnod:

Yup...............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts