StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heated debate in the household....

I say "no", my (much) better half says "yes" -- 'cause she feels so tired after a 5 hr. ride.

What say you? Anyone know how many calories per hour are burned?

pmk

btw: she's so stoked abour riding pillion that it's hard to get her off the bike! :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
All I know is I gained weight when I got back into motorcycles in 07, probably because I stopped hiking, bicycling, etc. as all I wanted to do in my spare time was ride. I don't think too many calories are burned.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've never lost a pound, in fact, I'f gained weight since I started riding. Not sure why...

(We travel a long way to find new places to eat! That's Nfld moose with fries and gravy in the second one!)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
If sleep burns calories, I'd imagine sitting on a bike does too. How much? Depends on your metabolism and general health.

Piloting the bike in a spirited ride uses a lot more body and muscles than you would believe, especially on a trail if you're using your body/legs to stabilize the bike...and I imagine a twisty with a lot of leaning off would do much the same.

R

·
0 Posts
Heated debate in the household....

What say you? Anyone know how many calories per hour are burned?

pmk

:)
Burn calories ???
My Goodness, you could fade away while riding. I'm guessing hundreds of calories per hour.
The big issue is "Road Food". Those huge breakfast gnosh-ups replace your deficit before you know it.... and then some.
If you ride and avoid the road side diners, you would be a stick man.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Of course vstromming burns calories; have you seen how many threads there are here about people dropping their bikes?
I assume they eventually pick them up too.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Turning the wick up and adventure riding tends to give ya a bit of a work out and wear ya down. I can spend all day going 300km off the beaten track and be pretty worn out but ride the Connie a 1,000km and skip lunch...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Doing nothing in a given day and you will burn about 1000 calories just by being human. Now, add body stress to that and the number will increase.

In some of those food pics once dish can easily add to 2000 calories or more and this is one meal, one sitting.

I was taught to look at a "diet" as just a particular way of eating vs. eating to loose weight. I was also taught that a good diet with excorcise (weights, sex, running, soccer, walking.... etc.) and your diet can consist of most anything in moderation. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Seriously, if the rider and passenger are as relaxed as they should be, I don't think many are burned. If they have a lot of tension and either fighting the movement of the bike or trying to use a lot of body english to control the bike, then maybe they're burning calories the wrong way (yes, there are right and wrong ways).

Lee Parks' book, Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques, has many great topics including one chapter on high performance passenger riding with excellent photos. Both of you will likely find things to like in this book--I sure did.

·
Administrator
17,222 Posts
Taking a Wee or Vee offroad will burn some calories for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Why even leave the driveway?

Just let your crash bar equipped Strom flop over in the driveway and stoop down to right the beast....do that a few times and you'll definitely burn some calories!

btw - That Poutine and fried fish/cole slaw looked incredible!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Running out of gas does it for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every morning I have been checking my blood sugur levels. I notice the mornings after Gym days, have lower readings. When on a road trip I maintain the same diet, but in the mornings my blood surgar levels are much higher. This leads me to belive I haven't had much exercise. Of couarse stress also could be a factor. Maybe I spend too much time in the fast lane.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I lost 20 lbs on my 3 month trip to Panama and back. I'm sure it was due to not eating American food. The stretch from Sonora back to So. Cal. really dropped some pounds riding through the 110 degree desert.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Not a strom, but I lost weight when I started riding. I attributed it to the isometrics of terror. :yikes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I lost 20 lbs riding to Anckorage, AK from Baltimore, MD. I don't understand why, I ate as much junk food and sucked down as much colesterol as possible. There maybe some truth to it

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Stand on the pegs, and run as fast as you can on rough dirt roads for an hour, then report back on you status. Tires can directly affect your level of energy applied in the given application, in my case, it was adversly applied but fairly predictable most of the times (Conti trail attacks with 6k on them). Front end washouts at speed require harder and faster than normal rider input resulting in higher than normal 48 year old depletion of engery.( Fatique) 460lb dirtbike...oxymoron for sure!

I did 100 miles of mixed riding last week with a buddy on a DRZ, this included much of the above and even some verticle washouts (What ever you do, don't stop, or think about putting your foot down, you'll never reach the ground), tight mudslides, (that included trees and rocks) whole sections of mountain that slid down into the road. Had a fairly long talk to not one but two law enforcment agency's (DER and PSP)at different times to boot. We faired good considering me buds DRZ liscense, inspection, and something else had lapsed (He never panicked, I told him I would have like to seen his reaction at age 16).

Yea...I slept like a baby after a hot shower...but did stay up to watch sunday night football!

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's apparent to me that you've not been married very long. If you wife wants to suggest that riding burns calories, you should be agreeing and asking about buying more accessories or another bike or two to complement your weight loss program.

This is one of the questions that you need not answer if you can get away without voicing your opinion, because you can't win, unless you adopt my previous line of thinking. If you say anything other than what may be in the form of an affirmative answer, you loose. Doesn't really matter what you meant, mean, or say, if it's not "agreement," you loose.

Someone said earlier, simply being human burns about 800-1000 calories per day, so use that logic, apply simple math, and divide out the number of hours you're riding and provide that answer, regarding how many calories you are burning. Simple enough to substantiate, logical enough to make sense, and easy to understand; plus, you get more stuff for being supportive. Now, shut up and enjoy the ride. :beatnik:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts