StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm curious as I'm not super smart with automotive electrical systems yet. The wee wouldn't start this morning. It showed the clock but as soon as I turned the key on, there was nothing on the display and no fuel pump noise. I just checked now that I am back home and the battery shows 12.4 with no load but as soon as I turn the key on, it backs down to about 3.5 and the display backlight and neutral light start flickering. I hooked the jumper cables up to it from my pickup and it fired right up. Does this mean I have a bad battery?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sounds like your battery is failing under load. You could have the battery tested at your local auto parts store and check it under load.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A bad battery is most likely. You just checked it under load and it failed.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It will depend where you put the volt meter ?

If you put the meter across the battery cables it could just be a loose connection.

If you put the meter directly onto the batteries posts you have a bad battery.

Always try both points but to test a battery you must measure across the batteries poles.

If the battery starting point is 12.4v and you put a good load on it (lights or stater) it will show a lower voltage _ _. _v

If the battery is good it will recover most of that 12.4v a minute or two after removing the load.

If the battery fails to recover most of the 12.4v starting voltage it is failing and time to think about a replacement.

Most bad batteries will show about 11.2v because of one bad cell.

PS: your battery is like a big sponge and will absorb any power spikes your electrical system may produce.

If you use jumper cables to start the bike from the time you remove the first cable you are putting your bikes electrical system at risk.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I just took it in and it was bad. Thats what I was assuming but assuming has gotten me in trouble before

1 - 7 of 7 Posts