StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeling a vibration and knew I had a tight spot in the chain, but measured it in 6-7 different places and always less than 12-9/16" (12.56"). Then I happened to watch the master link go around the rear sprocket and saw the inconsistent gap in the photo. :yikes:

There is about 10-12k on the chain, replaced by two POs back.

What do you guys say?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's kinked. At a minimum, it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, it's likely the bushing on the link it attaches to is damaged from metal transfer. Change it and keep an eye on it.

·
38,104 Posts
A typical cause is lack of lubrication. Was lube placed in the chain's bushings and on the master link's pins when assembled?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two owners back replaced the chain, so I don't know. I need to find an EK compatible master link (or two) and learn how to replace it. I've read up on some of the threads here. Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I pulled the master link and there was significant wear. Sorry for the bad pic.

The chain also had wear and the bushings were egg-shaped. Sad thing was that they were dry as a bone! :headbang:

I took Greywolf's suggestion and replaced the master link and will watch it. As bad as some guys talk about their chains getting, I hope I can get another 2k out of it and replace it early next year.

BTW, the local shop that ordered the master link for me, knew I needed quickly, so he got the EK screw-type master links because the rivet-type was farther away. I got two and put one under the seat. Pretty slick. Went on easy and looks good, but I wonder if I should safety wire it instead of using the supplied o-ring "keepers".

Thanks for the help, Master Greywolf!

·
38,104 Posts
You have visible wear with egg shaped holes. That needs to be replaced, not just watched.

R

·
0 Posts
A quick question if I may... I think I see rusty colouring around that master link. Is that a firm indicator that the chain is going south ??

·
38,104 Posts
A quick question if I may... I think I see rusty colouring around that master link. Is that a firm indicator that the chain is going south ??
Not surface rust on the side plates and I don't even really see that. Kinking or red dust are sure signs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts