StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cheers2:Hi Everyone,
I've been progressing on my DIY pannier racks and boxes. :thumbup:

Yesterday I had a trial fit of the aluminium boxes I have made, "does this make my butt look big?" LOL! :jawdrop:

The racks I made were from solid mild steel rod and 5mm plate. Racks are now finished ready for powder coating, boxes still coming along. I worked out that the boxed are approximately 37 litres each! :thumbup:

What do you think?

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
My Happy Trails boxes make my Wee 1 metre wide across the back, but they have bevelled cutaways on the bottom so they don't ground when cornering.

·
Registered
807 Posts
What a challenge

Well done....I was going to say 'you can buy these you know' but then they would not be yours, I think you have done good. Its a real bike now!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had been contemplating taking the panniers off my bike but last night my friend said they added character to my bike and it would now look strange without them. I think he's right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYyd0dvNNXU

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
How are the panniers attached to the racks?
It looks like they are bolted in the pictures.
If they are I would suggest that you remove them immediately and never reinstall them they will be a serious accident or injury waiting to happen and besides anything else you will have completely invalidated any insurance cover you may think you have.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Well to put it simply vstromrcflyer....HELL YES that's one huge rear end :green_lol:

For an approx. 37 litres they do look massive, much larger than the 36lt Givi's that Gotawee has on Sparkles.

Cheers Vman

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
I have Givi 36 litre side cases, and I have to tell Freya (my Vee) that her HUGE BUM is only temporary 'til we get back from our long ride. She would have a fit if she always looked that wide. It's NOT flattering.

:cheers2:Hi Everyone,
I've been progressing on my DIY pannier racks and boxes. :thumbup:

Yesterday I had a trial fit of the aluminium boxes I have made, "does this make my butt look big?" LOL! :jawdrop:

The racks I made were from solid mild steel rod and 5mm plate. Racks are now finished ready for powder coating, boxes still coming along. I worked out that the boxed are approximately 37 litres each! :thumbup:

What do you think?

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nope, das not a butt, Vstromcityflyah, Man wotcha gotchaself right there, now tha's one helluva beeyootiful big BOOTY!!

Yoh iz gonna paint 'em black now aintcha ?

Iffen it works fah you, then juss get cho' big fat ass out there man, juss be wide an' proud Honey Child !

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well done....I was going to say 'you can buy these you know' but then they would not be yours, I think you have done good. Its a real bike now!
Yes, I agree, makes you feel better when you can make these items yourself. So far I have made the radiator guard, stone / bash plate, stainless steel chain guard, small shelf behind the windscreen, and now modified the Ventura rack frames for the self made pannier boxes. Hopefully after Christmas I'll get them powder coated. My rack system will allow me to use either the Givi top box or place the Ventura rack on with a Venture bag. Will put more pics up when it's finished.

Yes, even though the boxes are HUGE, I may look at trimming them down :confused: I made them purely for "road" touring, I also have some smaller Gearsack panniers for everyday commuting :thumbup:

I did see that some riders have "modified" 20lt plastic fuel containers. I'll probably make a set of these too for the more "Adventure" rides! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your comments,
Mike
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yes your arse looks big!!

They do look WIDE!!:yikes: What about mounting your indicators on the back of the panniers and putting a kink in the frames to bring them in closer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A bit of home made farkeling is what makes Stroms so interesting, anyhow I think all 650s should carry big arse luggage like this.
It might even up the fuel range

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Panniers on a DIET!

Well after much thought from everyone's comments, the panniers are going on a diet & surgery! :yesnod:

I'm going to "trim" them down, so this week I'll be dismantling them and making new "narrower" sides! :thumbup: While I'm at it I'll make the sides with rolled edges, just means a bit more work on the bottom and lids. Hopefully that will make her look more slimmer! LOL! :lol1:

Talk to you all soon,
Mike
:beatnik:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Maybe just make the exhaust side smaller and also try and bring the left side frame in closer to the bike so the outside edge of both are the same distance from centre.
I still have my racks and bent panniers here if you'd like to have a look at them for ideas, it'd be no dramas to drop over and show you if you like.
Cheers Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts