StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried phoning but the guy at the fab shop who deals with skid plates was away for a few days.
Looks like a nice and easy to install piece

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you going with crash bars too? I probably would not get them normally, but am contemplating them as necessary to protect the side of the rad in the event of a tip over, and also needed to mount additional lighting. Trying to keep my Strom as light as possible.
Also considering the Motech skid plate and Plastic one made by Hyde racing if it fits the 2017+
https://www.hyderacing.com/store/adventure/suzuki/650.htm

Gravel roads are probably the most off roading my bike will see. Want it to be more of an all road Sport Tourer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I went with Weld 86 after the cross piece on my OEM crash bars broke due to stress. How the hell it was stressed is beyond me. But it broke. And that made me think that attaching a skid plate there was probably not a good idea. I like the Weld. Very easy to remove for oil changes and tough as nails.

·
Administrator
16,947 Posts
Love the Weld86 plate, they are well made and mines been tested more than a few times. They do exactly what we need them to do, and it’s very lightweight compared to many others. Some poo poo the way it mounts, but many of us run these and few have had issues.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It has to come off each oil change? Is that for the filter or drain plug?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One final question. I read that it makes some additional noise. Is this a real issue or just nit picking? I am hard of hearing as it is.

·
Administrator
16,947 Posts
One final question. I read that it makes some additional noise. Is this a real issue or just nit picking? I am hard of hearing as it is.

Any and every skid plate is going to make additional noise, it is directly below an engine with many moving parts and things banging up and down. It's just noise reflection, but I honestly have found it to be minimal, however I also wear ear plugs. :wink2:

·
Registered
404 Posts
It has to come off each oil change? Is that for the filter or drain plug?
It is true that is doesn't have to come off. But it is so easy to remove that I do this each time. Adds 4 minutes to the job and I have no worries about the filter slipping out of my hand and spilling on the plate. Any and every plate....

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it possible to scrape a Weld 86 skid plate when cornering at the limit? Not that I am Valentino Rossi, but that would be unnerving if it did.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No.
I have partly folded up a peg & not scraped mine....

As far as the reflected noise issue; Go to the Wally's or auto parts store & get a can of 3M undercoat to spray on the inside before mounting, use tape to mask off the outside from over-spray.
Noise problem pretty much solved!

Reactions: Nicad

·
Administrator
16,947 Posts
Is it possible to scrape a Weld 86 skid plate when cornering at the limit? Not that I am Valentino Rossi, but that would be unnerving if it did.

I'm sure that somebody could, but it's the most tucked up and unobtrusive plate available.....and it does exactly as was designed.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So did anyone answer the original question?
Yes it fits, ended up going with the Hyde plastic bash plate. Took a bit of parts making to install it nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts