StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Does the new DL650 have any of the idle hammer or clutch issues that the 1000 has? or any other mechanical/electrical common issues?

Thanks.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,190 Posts
DL 650's have no "clutch basket issues".

However, there is evidence that some have what amounts to "Idle Hammer". Certainly not nearly as many percentage wise as the DL 1000 and not as loud when it occurs. Just like the DL 1000 it isn't going to harm anything. Aggravate the rider? Yes, in some cases but the bike really doesn't care as it never causes a failure.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Both models run all the power to the headlights thru a tiny switch in the starter switch. Eventually most will fail leaving you without lights or a fail to start.
The fix is a two relay harness that removes almost all the Amps on that switch. It's aftermarket through EasterBeaver.com and runs around $75 shipped.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Been around both many 1000's and 650's, cannot say I've ever heard idle hammer on a 650......but yup the 1000 on the other hand.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Both models run all the power to the headlights thru a tiny switch in the starter switch. Eventually most will fail leaving you without lights or a fail to start.
The fix is a two relay harness that removes almost all the Amps on that switch. It's aftermarket through EasterBeaver.com and runs around $75 shipped.

The Eastern Beaver relay is for H4 headlights.

From his site:

"NEW DL1000s from 2014 on and 650s from 2017 on - these new models have Non-H4 headlights and different wiring in many areas. This means the H4 Relay Kit and the ABS Cut Adapter won’t fit. Some older VStrom parts still fit, some don’t, and some are new products."

Does the Gen 2 1000 and the Gen 3 650 switch the lights through the starter switch like the older bikes? I haven't heard of any failures...

·
Super Moderator
4,519 Posts
You need to remember that early V-Stroms had two low beam headlights, where today's models have just one. My 2010 DL650 has never suffered from idle hammer, and incidentally, it has also never suffered from starter button issues either. However I have had LED headlight bulbs for years now, and I have always had the bike garaged.
I would suggest to late model owners that the chances of starter button issues should be minimal.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Does the Gen 2 1000 and the Gen 3 650 switch the lights through the starter switch like the older bikes? I haven't heard of any failures...
Yes regarding the 650, but with only one low-beam bulb (converted to LED) I'm not the least bit worried, especially since mine's garage-kept. I doubt this will be a big issue with the '17+ models.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
The Eastern Beaver relay is for H4 headlights.

Thanks for the correction. I think someone on ADV found the same switch on their 17+ but I can't find the thread.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The use of LED type bulbs throughout the industry reduces the amperage in the electrical
paths. Even if the same basic concept of using a smaller switch to run power to the lights
from the starter. LEDS require so little amperage to operate the load on the entire electrical
system is reduced by a large margin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts