StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Boy talks too much....
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Givi screen and although it is much better, I really would like to get rid of that damn helmet slap. If I move close to the screen, its gone. If I duck down a little, its gone. I would just like to have it gone while sitting up straight.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I was very pleased with my aftermarket shield, and really didnt think the Madstad would make any further improvement. However, now that I have one, I highly recommend it.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I've heard people on this site say that if you want to totally eliminate buffeting, drive a car and roll the windows up. Buffeting was ruining my fun riding. Then I got a 23.5 cee bailey shield. Then I realized that spending $ on my strom was a better idea than buying just about anything else. The madstad is functional, adjustable, and since hot weather hit, I put the stock shield back on and it's completely acceptable w/ the madstad. You won't regret getting it. Just skip buying cocaine for a week and invest in madstad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This weekend just gone I dropped my Givi screen and installed the stock screen with the madstad.

Night and day difference - the madstad and stock now leave my in a little bubble of happiness - no buffering in the slightest.

I was shocked just how good it is!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Fixed it for me.

When I rode home from the dealer I felt like someone was hitting my helmet with a small hammer. I tried various pennytech options, but eventually bought the Madstad. It fixed 99% of the problem. I notice buffeting now based on wind and traffic.
+1 on what jwt said. No buffetting = car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I highly recommend the Madstad. While it won't completely eliminate the wind, it so reduces the buffeting that riding the bike becomes pleasant again. Gone is the neck fatigue associated with having to fight the wind, along with the cannon-like booming of the turbulent wind hitting your helmet. I have not tried using the stock shield on the Madstad, just my Givi shield. Having a wide choice of mounting positions along with the adjustability of the bracket itself makes finding the "sweet" spot easy. It takes some fiddling around to find it, but once you do, it's great.

+1 on the only buffeting now being that from either side winds or wind blast from large vehicles. The Madstad was some of the best money I have spent on the Wee.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tried the Madstad with stock windscreen and did not completely get rid of buffeting for me. Modified stock screen (reduced size 9'W X 9 1/2" tall), also made a black plastic mini screen, both work much better than the stock wind screen. The the MP Mini works best for me (no buffeting) during summer months and I personally like the look. No change in fuel burn with the MP. Considering a Rifle Windscreen System for the winter months. I am 6' tall with a 31.5" inseam. Current MP Screen:

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
No. Poor fairing/windshield design. Look for another bike if you want to eliminate it.
Just eliminate the windscreen. The ones with a "kick" create the turbulence you're trying to avoid. Go ride one with a CalSci and you'll have a different opinion.

·
Registered
615 Posts
All the buffeting? No. But it is a nice accessory and usually helps a lot. I like mine very much.

The only bike I have ever owned that had (near) zero buffeting was a rice rocket that had a windscreen that came up to belly button height and my face was only inches away from that windscreen. In "clean air" there was absolutely zero buffeting, just a "ssssshhhhhhhhhhh" of clean air. It was wonderful. Of course that was not a comfortable bike otherwise.

Only the most fourtunate riders have zero buffeting or close to it on a bike with a windscreen. Good luck with your buffeting.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Last winter I was riding in sub-freezing weather.

Crouched down low over the tank, out of curiousity I licked the gas cap.

Get what? my toungue stuck to it.

I remember on my way to the fire station, that there was no buffeting.

Otherwise, using the GIVI/Madstad combo, early mornings on side roads where the air is pretty smooth to begin with, not much buffeting.

On the interstate on a summer afternoon behind a convoy of semis, significant buffeting of everything.

Individual results may vary.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts

Otherwise, using the GIVI/Madstad combo, early mornings on side roads where the air is pretty smooth to begin with, not much buffeting.

On the interstate on a summer afternoon behind a convoy of semis, significant buffeting of everything.

Individual results may vary.
ROFLS, great mental picture.

·
Registered
244 Posts

I really want this to be true. The visual alone is hysterical.

·
Boy talks too much....
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the guys I ride with suggested trimming the stock screen, I may just try it. I would rather have clear air, ala my three XX's, than the damn buffeting. I have a bad disc between C5 and 6 so it gets on my nerves after not too long. Thanks for the input and the tongue on the gas cap visual. Very funny. I needed a good laugh to finish the day.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I really want this to be true. The visual alone is hysterical.
Of course it's true.

It's on the internet.

Phonetically:

"Ob corth ith twhoo."

"Ith om the innerneth."

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 helps a lot

All the buffeting? No. But it is a nice accessory and usually helps a lot. I like mine very much.

The only bike I have ever owned that had (near) zero buffeting was a rice rocket that had a windscreen that came up to belly button height and my face was only inches away from that windscreen. In "clean air" there was absolutely zero buffeting, just a "ssssshhhhhhhhhhh" of clean air. It was wonderful. Of course that was not a comfortable bike otherwise.

Only the most fourtunate riders have zero buffeting or close to it on a bike with a windscreen. Good luck with your buffeting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Madstad with stock screen reduced buffeting by about 90%. Replacing the stock screen with the Givi reduced it another 5%. So, for me, the biggest bang for the buck with respect to reducing buffeting came from the Madstad. I think there is a lot to the notion that allowing a stream of air to come up from the back side of the screen helps to smooth out the air flowing up and over the front of the screen. That's why many report success adding spacers to the stock bracket and/or cutting a gap in the bottom of the stock screen.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
One other thing that wil help is too loose the sun visor on the enduro helmets. They add the spoiler effect and help create additional buffeting within the negitive pressure envelope behind the windscreen.

·
Boy talks too much....
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for everyones imput. Got the Madstad in the mail yesterday and just finished putting it on. Unfortunately its a work day so I wont get much chance to try it out although I will be going the long way today. Going to Big Sur next week for a 2 day run and that should put it through its paces. Also got the Alaska pad and will see if that improves the mb situation. Hopefully will get a few pics as well. Its a very nice place for those unfortunate souls not having the chance to ride our little stretch of heaven called hwy1.
SOF

1 - 20 of 38 Posts