StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in using the iPhone as my multi-tool electronic gadget.

GPS if I get lost - I don't need to stare at a GPS and I usually have a map and compass with me and know how to use it.
Camera / Video
Connect to the internet to post RRs
Oh, ya and phone for calling the wife.

I've seen people with Otterboxes to keep them watertight and RAM mounts to attach to bike.

But what I want to know is can I take half decent pics while riding (from the mount), is the GPS actually workable. Does it take more than 5 minutes of video ?

Take into account shaking or vibration from the bike.

All comments are welcome!

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I wouldn't want to try mounting one to use on board a moving bike the shape would be problematic.
As a simple point and shoot camera in your jacket pocket they work fine but even with a secure mount the pictures from a moving bike would be crap. The shutter release lag would mean all your photos were taken 100 yards down the road from where you intended even if you could see what is in the image.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks K1W1!

I thought that most of these modern gadgets worked at the speed of light... :)

If I wanted just video what's the best/most reliable and not too expensive option.

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Also...the iPhone would be hard to work with gloves on, due to it's touch screen not being glove friendly.

I use a Flip Video Ultra for most of my recording duties. There is still a bit of vibration, but that's mainly due to the mounting. Get a good enough mounting, and it'll eliminate the vibration. Sample video from my Flip:

Cheap? Some people like the Oregon Scientific ATC2K. ~$70, but only 2GB of storage.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Also...the iPhone would be hard to work with gloves on, due to it's touch screen not being glove friendly.

I use a Flip Video Ultra for most of my recording duties. There is still a bit of vibration, but that's mainly due to the mounting. Get a good enough mounting, and it'll eliminate the vibration. Sample video from my Flip:
Yes the interface would be a problem.

I'm fascinated by the Flips as well. they look like a nice inexpensive on bike solution.

·
Cat Herder
2,481 Posts
Yes the interface would be a problem.

I'm fascinated by the Flips as well. they look like a nice inexpensive on bike solution.
They are, but right now, I have mine mounted on the Richland Rick mirror-extender, with a RAM ball and mid-length mount. It's enough to get the Flip directly behind the middle of the screen. I've used that setup to mount still cameras too, so I can take photos while riding.

Still not the best solution off-road. Way too much vibration. Hopefully for my birthday I'll be getting a HERO HD Wide. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I was loaned one of the early Oregon Scientific cameras about 18 months ago. I just velcroed it to the top of the brake reservoir

and made a couple of test videos with it.

Video one.

Video two

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at both samples the flip looks clearer...though it is hard to tell since the second video was taken on a cloudy day it seems.

the shake is apparent in both but for the $$ it is pretty good!

What do you put the flip camera in? A special case?

Anthony

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Both my videos were taken on the same day but at times during the second one it was raining quite hard. You can see the water spray coming off the fairing if you look hard enough.
The Flip does have better resolution and has the big advantage that it can be used off bike. The Oregon unit has no user feedback not even a screen so you can see what you are recording it's simply push the record button and hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts