StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed the front wheel on my K9 Wee & took it to my local dealer for a new tire. After I re-installed it, I noticed that the right side appeared to be missing a spacer (see attached photo). Thinking that it had fallen out as I was removing the wheel, I looked everywhere on my shop floor for the "missing" spacer. After I couldn't locate it, I looked up a schematic of the front wheel on the internet, and I was shocked to see that the axle doesn't have a spacer.

Excuse my mechanical ignorance, but without a spacer in this area, what keeps the wheel perfectly in place? The only thing that I can see keeping it in place is the rotor sandwiched between the calipers.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
on my ABS bike

I have the speedo gear on one side, and my ABS sensor on the other side

for my non-ABS bike, the manual shows an open space on the side opposite the speedo drive, there is a shoulder on the axle (your missing spacer area) that squeezes all the bits and pieces over to the fork tube with the speedo gear - that is how the entire assembly is located.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the speedo gear on one side, and my ABS sensor on the other side

for my non-ABS bike, the manual shows an open space on the side opposite the speedo drive, there is a shoulder on the axle (your missing spacer area) that squeezes all the bits and pieces over to the fork tube with the speedo gear - that is how the entire assembly is located.
I did the same as the OP... Freaked out about 'losing' a spacer and installed the wheel. it looks like the axle has a shoulder on it- no need for a spacer... Rides fine... Glad to know I didn't 'lose' the spacer but only momentarily most my mind:)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There is no spacer. The axle shoulder butts up against the bearing and the fork leg is held in the proper position by the pinch bolt on the fork leg.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
NOt sure on the ABS model but on the non-ABS model there is no spacer technically.

The speedo sensor and the shoulder on the axle work as spacers.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts