StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys who have picked up your 2012 ADV 650s:

The photo on the Suzuki web site and pictures in the mag reviews show a plate for a top box mounted on the bike which is carrying just the side bags. They don't even mention the engine guards sometimes.

Since my bike arrived without its bags (no top box ordered by me), bars or windshield, should I expect to get a tail plate with the package if it ever comes in?

I assumed the bike came with just the side cases, bars, and windshield. Am I correct?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Since my bike arrived without its bags (no top box ordered by me), bars or windshield, should I expect to get a tail plate with the package if it ever comes in?

I assumed the bike came with just the side cases, bars, and windshield. Am I correct?
Mine came with the tail plate.

As far as what you should expect, assumptions or if you're correct, I'd think those questions are really best asked of your dealer.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine came with the tail plate.

As far as what you should expect, assumptions or if you're correct, I'd think those questions are really best asked of your dealer.
Unfortunately my dealer has been wrong on too many things. I like some factual answers before I go back to deal with him.

If you ordered a top box which is an option, that be why you got a tail plate too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Unfortunately my dealer has been wrong on too many things. I like some factual answers before I go back to deal with him.
Hey I appreciate where you're coming from, but these forums rarely provide factual answers on stuff like that.... It's not cut n' dry by my experience. Dealers are 1) clueless with new models because they haven't taken the time to read up on whats standard or optional, OR 2) quietly being selective about options so they can save or make an extra buck.

If you ordered a top box which is an option, that be why you got a tail plate too.
Not so.
I talked to the owner/dealer:

Me: It's got a tail plate. Does the top box come standard as well? If so, where is it?
Him: "Ummm... I'm not sure."
Me: Might hand guards be standard as well?
Him: "Ummm... I don't know."

(long pause)

Me: Okay, so will you check on those things AND LET ME KNOW EITHER WAY?
Him: Oh. Yeah.

Ten minutes later he came back to explain the top box and hand guards were not part of the ADV package.

Did I get my questions answered? Yeah.
Did I get taken by not getting a top box? Maybe, depending your perspective. I honestly didn't want it anyway given it was too large for my liking.

My thoughts were the tail plate can always be sold or made to work with an aftermarket box.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey I appreciate where you're coming from, but these forums rarely provide factual answers on stuff like that.... It's not cut n' dry. By my experience dealers are 1) clueless with new models because they haven't taken the time to read up on whats standard or optional, OR 2) quietly being selective about options so they can save or make an extra buck.

Not so. The boxes/windscreen/crash bars AND tail plate were already installed. I didn't order anything.
I talked to the owner/dealer:

Me: It's got a tail plate. Does the top box come standard as well? If so, where is it?
Him: "Ummm... I'm not sure."
Me: Might hand guards be standard as well?
Him: "Ummm... I don't know."

(long pause)

Me: Okay, so will you check on those things AND LET ME KNOW EITHER WAY?
Him: Oh. Yeah.

Ten minutes later he came back to explain the top box and hand guards were not part of the ADV package.

Did I get my questions answered? Yeah. Did I get taken by not getting a top box? Maybe, depending your perspective. I honestly didn't want it anyway given it was too large for my liking.

My thoughts were the tail plate can always be sold or made to work with an aftermarket box.

·
Registered
90 Posts
top plate

YES. THe adv. comes with a top plate. When I sold my Trax bags to Colin, and we were mounting the bags on his standard, we needed the aluminum top plate for some reason. Hardy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine came with the top plate on the bike and the regular rubber cover the top plate replaces in a box with the standard windscreen and two extra locks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts