StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or does it come mounted from the factory?

I bought my 2009 DL650 new 16mo ago and haven't had the front fender off for any reason yet but I just noticed that the left side of the fender was a bit loose and noticed a small gap under the screw head.
Thought it strange that the screw didn't seem loose with my fingers but still had the gap :confused:...well I found out why when I went to use a 4mm socketed hex wrench on it and rounded out the hex head trying to back that sucker out! :headbang::furious:
Put the bike away and came back to it today after some prayer and meditation. :yesnod:
I was able to slip a piece of aluminum flashing behind the head to protect the fender from the Dremel cutoff wheel, good thing too, notice the cut mark on the white flashing. :jawdrop:
Next step was some PB blaster and a crescent wrench. :thumbup:
Notice the galling on the thread near the end of the screw.
I ran an M6 tap through the lower fork tube boss to chase the threads and then replaced both sides with metric screws & washers I bought for my old Concours fairing.
I think I like the black screws better anyway. :thumbup:

I can't believe that if a cognizant human being put this screw in why they didn't feel it binding on the way in and stop turning it, :thumbdown: :confused: or maybe they did and it was too late? :bom_shocked3:

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
You're assuming that cognizant human being cared.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The dealer installs the front end on the bike. It's shipped that way to make the crate smaller.

I found a pic at http://www.stromtrooper.com/105898-post7.html

The fender is already on. The dealer just installs the wheel.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I dremeled "slots" in those screws a long time ago!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I can't believe that if a cognizant human being put this screw in why they didn't feel it binding on the way in and stop turning it, :thumbdown: :confused: or maybe they did and it was too late? :bom_shocked3:
Been there. I chased all the threads on the fork tubes last month when I had the forks off.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
It is the Zen nature of aluminum to become one with stainless steel fasteners that are not installed with antiseize.

In other words, dey all do dat.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It is the Zen nature of aluminum to become one with stainless steel fasteners that are not installed with antiseize.

In other words, dey all do dat.
It shouldn't do it badly enough to damage threads on the engine where heat increases chemical activity. There should be practically zero activity on the fork leg.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Stainless fasteners do indeed seize and damage unprotected threads on aluminum engines within a few months -- I've seen it many times on vintage bikes with zooty new stainless bolt kits. The owners fail to read the directions and skip the required antiseize. A merry galvanic reaction ensues, and the next time the fastener is removed, the aluminum threads come with it... If you're paranoid, blue or purple Loctite will also protect the threads. You just need a barrier of some sort between the stainless and aluminum.

Same thing on the fender bolts into the aluminum fork legs, just a bit slower. These bolts were seized on my 2002 Vee the first time I took it apart. Fortunately, the threads in the fork leg didn't get too badly damaged and I was able to clean them up with a tap and install new bolts.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stainless fasteners do indeed seize and damage unprotected threads on aluminum engines within a few months
Same thing on the fender bolts into the aluminum fork legs, just a bit slower. These bolts were seized on my 2002 Vee the first time I took it apart. Fortunately, the threads in the fork leg didn't get too badly damaged and I was able to clean them up with a tap and install new bolts.
I guess they saved a few bucks by skipping the Heli-coils and just tapped the aluminum. :thumbdown:
I oiled up my new screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts