StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Mexico you can buy 87 octane for around $2.75/gallon. For about $0.10USD more you can have 91 octane gas. Does it make sense to buy premium at this cost differential?

I have never really known what getting higher octane gas can do for you; or if it's even necessary on the V-Strom.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
No. Unless regular has ethanol and premium doesn't, the only benefit of premium is it prevents knocking on engines built to use premium. Strom engines are built to use regular so there is no benefit to using premium unless the engine has a problem that causes knocking/pinging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried using Shell's premium (nitrogen) twice in a row and noticed that the engine did not perform well. This is personal opinion/experience only. :yesnod: I stopped immediately and switched back to the mid grade (89), hoping that it can help clean the engine.

·
38,103 Posts
I usually use Shell regular and almost always a top tier brand. I've never had a problem. You might have had a preconceived notion and need to do a double blind test. Shell Canada and USA are top tier gasolines. Top Tier Gasoline so the regular grades have as good an additive package as the premium grades.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
87 octane probably wont hurt if u ride ez. but, i definitly wouldnt rule it out. specially see n how i get a couple more mpg on 91R+M/2 or better. IMHO the better the mpg the better for my engine. i recommend do your own compar-o 87 vs 91 or better. which ever gives u best mpg is going to be best fuel for your bike.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Here we go again...

:confused:
:argue:
:green_lol:
:headbang:
:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I had to laugh at myself

There are some stations in Vermont that have real Gas with no ethanol

When I was there I only took 2 1/2 gallons

AND TADA !!!!

went from 39 to 37 mpg for that tank

hurray me

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I had to laugh at myself

There are some stations in Vermont that have real Gas with no ethanol

When I was there I only took 2 1/2 gallons

AND TADA !!!!

went from 39 to 37 mpg for that tank

hurray me
What % ethanol are other state's gas? In FL, the pumps say <10%. I don't think there's any at all except for the very few E85 pumps, which are rare but growing.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i run only 87 octane now. i was running premium or 91/92 octane at first, but my bike didn't seem to like the top tier gas as much (i have another thread here discussing this issue) well i switched the bike over to 87 and now the bike runs better, and i get better fuel mileage with regular 87 octane. and i have put multiple top tier gas's in my bike and they all seem to run well in it. all of the gas here in washington that i have found may contain up to 10% ethanol.

·
38,103 Posts
I've seen reports of better mileage with lower octane and higher octane as well as smoother running with one or the other. There should be no difference.

It's a really involved science project to test for differences as there are so many variables. Such a project cannot really be done properly on the street with commercial fuel suppliers.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Off topic: Our local pipeline supplier screwed up last week and delivered gas to many stations in the area with up to 65% ethanol. There are a lot of rough running vehicles in these parts.

Somewhat on topic: I don't normally use premium but switch to Shell's non-oxygenated premium (no alcohol) this time of year, to make sure that the bike has non-alcohol fuel in it when the snows come. Then I top it off, add stabilizer and put it to bed for the winter.

·
Registered
22,343 Posts

·
38,103 Posts

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I run Shell 87 all the time with no noteworthy issues good or bad. I am right in the meat of the fuelly curve (47-51). The only things I've noticed effecting mpg are riding style, sitting unridden longer periods, and ethanol (see Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada for E0 sources).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts