StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean I am close to buying that bike but this concerns me a bit,
why 650 can run on poor gas and 1000 cannot?
Does it mean if I ride to Africa on 1000xt will the engine still work?
Or maybe there is some dongle to plug in like KTM uses to make it work?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
If by "premium" you mean higher octane fuel then the answer is no. USA 86 octane or the equivalent will suffice.

Riding to 3rd world countries I'd imagine finding clean fuel is more of a worry verses finding an suitable octane rating.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
My manual for my Canadian 2015 DL1000 says to use 90 octane (AKI). That is roughly the same as 96 octane in Europe (don't know about Africa's ratings). I normally use 91 here in Canada.

Having said that there are times when traveling that there was no 91 or higher fuel available an it runs just fine on regular (87 octane.). I do avoid higher throttle settings at lower revs when running lower octane though.

The 2018+ DL1000 meets newer emission standards which might make it more fussy about fuel than mine.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
The only way the newer DL's would require higher octane fuel is if Suzuki increased the compression ratio.
There is more to it than just compression ration.

The 2014+ DL1000 makes much more torque at lower RPM's than first gen models. This means higher cylinder pressure at lower rpm which can make detonation (knocking or singing) more likely. That's why I avoid higher throttle at lower revs when running regular gas.

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,331 Posts
There is more to it than just compression ratio. Flame front propagation has a lot to do with detonation. The 2014+ DL 1000 has a larger bore. Which means a different piston. Don't know about combustion chamber design or camshaft changes, but the larger bore and different piston might mean they ran into detonation under some extreme condition and decided to call for premium fuel. To be safe. To cover their ass.

If all I could get was 86 octane up in the mountains, that is what would go in it. But I would probably run premium otherwise. Just to be completely safe.

There are plenty of reports of owners running 87 octane in them with no ill effects.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
There is more to it than just compression ration.

The 2014+ DL1000 makes much more torque at lower RPM's than first gen models. This means higher cylinder pressure at lower rpm which can make detonation (knocking or singing) more likely. That's why I avoid higher throttle at lower revs when running regular gas.

..Tom
My Valkyrie 1500 is nothing but TORQUE at lower RPM or any RPM, wonder why then it doesn't need premium? :confused:

Reactions: Webfors

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Yep, manual calls for 90+ octane (PON/AKI), so I run 91 in the new bike.

As V-Tom and realshelby have stated, lower octane can be used, but I would make it the exception not the rule, and I would follow V-Tom's advice on low rpm load.

Since I'm a bit of an oil and additive nerd, I would run Techron, Gumout or other quality PEA additive through a fill up regularly if there was a probability of using lower octane fuel. Carbon buildup can be a trigger to detonation.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
9.8 compression ratio is your answer there. Displacement over cylinder pressure wins!
Makes sense....and Dolores does have her some displacement. :grin2: How you liking that new toy, when you gonna come back down this way to see us?

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Makes sense....and Dolores does have her some displacement. :grin2: How you liking that new toy, when you gonna come back down this way to see us?
Loving it! Just dropped some green on top and side racks and new top case. Accessories for a new '18 aren't cheap!

Once that's installed I'll be itching for a road trip!

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
Loving it! Just dropped some green on top and side racks and new top case. Accessories for a new '18 aren't cheap!

Once that's installed I'll be itching for a road trip!
I have plenty of room to host ya and I'm a pretty good host, and we have some pretty damn good roads here in Ohio, plus we can jump over to WV as well. :wink2:

·
Registered
325 Posts
My V2 has a sticker on the dash (never removed it) saying 91 octane required. Choices here are 87, 89, or 93 so it gets the 93 octane. Not that noticeable in cost for the miles a year I ride. 45 ish mph average in mixed riding since I purchased new and it’s already 50% better fuel economy than our best car can get. I take the bike to work instead of the truck then I’m getting close to 3x the fuel economy. I’m not going to complain for the slightly higher fuel cost. Works out to about $1 more per week over the 87 octane if I commute with it. If I’m out on a pleasure ride, then doesn’t matter anyway because I’m burning fuel for the sake of burning fuel.. if it gets too expensive for pleasure rides then I need to find a new hobby

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Up here in Canada the higher octane fuel is corn free, so I buy that. It also helps with distance calculations, the more corn, the less miles you go. I have used regular gas lots of times though with no noticeable effect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My V2 has a sticker on the dash (never removed it) saying 91 octane required. Choices here are 87, 89, or 93 so it gets the 93 octane. Not that noticeable in cost for the miles a year I ride. 45 ish mph average in mixed riding since I purchased new and it’s already 50% better fuel economy than our best car can get.
my question has nothing to do with cost but the availability, like if I put in 82 will it die on me?

·
Registered
325 Posts
my question has nothing to do with cost but the availability, like if I put in 82 will it die on me?

I had that same concern. Was traveling a few months ago, and trouble finding the higher octane. One member on this forum suggested that fuel offering had to do with altitude. At the time I was at higher elevation.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Up here in Canada the higher octane fuel is corn free, so I buy that. It also helps with distance calculations, the more corn, the less miles you go. I have used regular gas lots of times though with no noticeable effect.
I dont think all stations higher octane offerings are corn free up here. I do know that the shell premium is for sure. unless they're advertising it, I'd assume they are not.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
When in doubt carry some octane booster

1 - 20 of 24 Posts