StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the MPG indicator for both trip 1 (which represents all the miles I have ridden) and trip 2 vary quickly (it will go from 57 mpg to 40 mpg and in between) within a 100 mile trip. I am wondering if this monitor is similar to long and short fuel trim readings on autos.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I find that the kind of riding I do straight after a reset seems to affect the whole reading until the next one. So if I set off quickly after a reset the meter shows a low mpg until the next one. But if I set off at a gentle pace the opposite applies.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's just the mathematics of it, as an average it needs some distance to register a typical reading since the last reset of a trip meter. As the others have said the early readings will depend on what kind of riding you are doing.

ie Reset and coast down a hill for 500 meters and see how awesome it is. Reset again and ride back up in first and see how bad... It's only going back to the last reset of the trip meter.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
I have noticed that the MPG indicator for both trip 1 (which represents all the miles I have ridden) and trip 2 vary quickly (it will go from 57 mpg to 40 mpg and in between) within a 100 mile trip. I am wondering if this monitor is similar to long and short fuel trim readings on autos.
I don't know your auto reference but in my car (2010 VW GTI) there are two overall trip computers: one resets only when you reset it, the other resets when I reset it or when they car is switched off for about two hours. So when I first get in the car in the morning trip 1 has always reset while trip 2 keeps it's settings. I reset trip 2 when I refill.

On the 2012+ DL650 both displays only reset when I reset them.. I reset trip 2 when I fuel and I generally reset trip one at the beginning of any rides(even when riding to or from work.)

The displays show average fuel mileage so near the beginning any change in throttle has a dramatic effect on the average but as the miles/Km's accumulate there is less effect on the average. There are people that never reset their trip computer so their mileage display may be from when they first got their bike and will rarely change.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I actually question what the "overall" MPG is calculating.

I use my #1 trip meter for each tank, so the MPG linked to it should be the MPG of that tank.

I use my #2 trip meter for long trip measurements, so the MPG linked to it should be the average MPG of the entire trip; say a 4000 mile trip, it should give me the average MPG of that trip.

However, #2 (my overall) seems to fluctuate a lot from my #1, and I often get readings that I don't believe are consistent. For example, if I ride for 5 tanks and each one runs about 45 mpg on trip meter #1, logically, I should be seeing about 45 mpg as an average for #2; yet I often see 35 mpg on #2 when I know that I have never been at that MPG on average for trip #1. Does that make sense?

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
I'm not sure exactly the calculation it uses, but I would be surprised it it simply doesn't start measuring the fuel consumed from the time of the reset and use the distance travelled from the reset to calculate the mileage. If all the tanks were at (say) 40 mpg then the overall should be in the same range but wouldn't necessarily be an average of the tanks.

One thing that just crossed my mind: the trip computers reset themselves after a certain amount of mileage. Not sure if it is 1,000 or 10,000 km. That would mess up your calculation. I'm sure Greywolf knows.

..Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
...One thing that just crossed my mind: the trip computers reset themselves after a certain amount of mileage. Not sure if it is 1,000 or 10,000 km. That would mess up your calculation. I'm sure Greywolf knows.

..Tom
I use Trip 2 to track my oil changes, so I know it's good for at least 5,500 miles before resetting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find that the kind of riding I do straight after a reset seems to affect the whole reading until the next one. So if I set off quickly after a reset the meter shows a low mpg until the next one. But if I set off at a gentle pace the opposite applies.
My experience is exactly the same.

As far as Trip 1 and 2, I use 2 for oil changes and 1 for fill-ups, and 2 is very close to my averages for 1.... So not sure why MeefZah's trip 2 would be doing what it's doing.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I've had them (MPG calculator) on several bikes but I still just do the math for the most accurate reading. Gallons to miles. Works great every time

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I use a phone app to track my fuel consumption (Mileage on Android). On the issue of using it as a diagnostic tool, I've noticed a sudden improvement in mileage after fixing a mostly pulled out plug lead, but without knowing if it's going to be a consistent improvement or just due to some variation in riding conditions the data really isn't worth much. If the improvement is consistent across several fills then I'll take it as a win.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts