StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put on 1000miles of hwy riding on new 2014 Vee2.

Average mileage was ~38 miles/US gallon, so ~188 miles/tank. I was was running between 70-75 miles/hr (indicated not GPS corrected).

Those numbers are lower than what I've seen on fuelly.

The last tank I got 42 miles/US gallon which is closer to what I had expected.

What are folk's experiences, does it get better with more use?

Ps: bike is stock except for soft saddle bags (more wind resistance), Givi Airflow screen at low setting, Zuk hand guards, SW crash bars, small 25l low profile tail box, Rick's soft luggage plates. I'm 5' 9" at 200lbs without gear.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Just put on 1000miles of hwy riding on new 2014 Vee2.

Average mileage was ~38 miles/US gallon, so ~188 miles/tank. I was was running between 70-75 miles/hr (indicated not GPS corrected).

Those numbers are lower than what I've seen on fuelly.

The last tank I got 42 miles/US gallon which is closer to what I had expected.

What are folk's experiences, does it get better with more use?

I get a steady 36.5 mpg on average on my V2. I've never hit the 40's yet and I've got almost 3k miles on it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The first time I checked my mileage with pen and paper on my V2, it got 52.5mpg. The bike has 1,200 miles on it now and yesterday it got 59.7 mpg. I just love riding the N.GA, NC., TN. area.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey Vdubfreak67, was that question for me or zig-zag?

For me my numbers were all based on Hwy riding doing the up down thing on the throttle as per the break in process (ie: don't keep a constant speed for the first ~1000 miles). I was running between 70-75 m/hr indicated by the speedo, not GPS corrected.

Zig-zag, what speeds were you averaging, was it mainly city, hwy, or a combination of speeds for those awesome fuel numbers?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Speed, colder air temperature, winter blend fuel and added stuff in the air stream are probably the biggest factors in lowered fuel economy on a bike.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The first time I checked my mileage with pen and paper on my V2, it got 52.5mpg. The bike has 1,200 miles on it now and yesterday it got 59.7 mpg. I just love riding the N.GA, NC., TN. area.

I just can't see how that's possible. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just can't see how there's such a significant difference between yours and mine. I do have a full exhaust, K&N air filter, and PCV so maybe that's causing the major loss in MPG's but even before that it was still low from what I remember.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks GW.

Any idea what your average m/gal is for hwy riding?
I'm getting 43.5 on 32mi round trip to work where I can only avg about 33mph due to lights and stop signs.

I'm looking forward to seeing some 70mph hwy cruise results soon. :wink2:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm on my 4th V-Strom, 3 of those are the DL1000.
The V2, in my experience gets about 5mpg less (at comparable speeds) than the other two DL1Ks I had.
On the first gen bikes, I rarely got below 42 at any speed, and on slower roads I would be 50, sometimes higher.
I don't get anything like that with the new bike.
Each bike had a K&N air filter, stock exhaust, and the same fat boy riding it.
FYI miles on each bike
2005 DL1000 - 58,000
2008 DL1000 - 98,000
2014 DL 650 - 10,200
2014 DL1000 - 24,000

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
If you keep the RPM's below 4k your mileage will go way up. On long trips I noticed the gas gauge stops moving like this and it makes a significant difference. I also use ethanol free fuel whenever possible which helps with mileage.

Check your tire pressure too, low air pressure makes your bike suck more gas.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like my mileage is in the range of what other folks are getting.

Crappy to hear that the new DL1000 is getting worse mileage than the previous 1000 (new bike is lighter so is that because the power band has been shifted to lower RPMs or....?).

Thanks for the <4000rpm tip, I'll be trying that on the boring straight sections but all bets are off once I enter a corner!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Mileage is better on my 2014 VS my 2004 if I keep revs below 4k, I can get close to 400km/tank on V2 VS 300km on V1, and V2 has smaller tank.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Either of my first gen 1000's always averaged in the 40's no matter how I rode them. Gas mileage is all over the place on the 1000 models, the 650's seem to be much more averaged.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
I just can't see how that's possible. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just can't see how there's such a significant difference between yours and mine. I do have a full exhaust, K&N air filter, and PCV so maybe that's causing the major loss in MPG's but even before that it was still low from what I remember.
Oh that makes a difference my friend, and that heavy right wrist you have does not help matters. >:)

Reactions: NyMeTsFaN912

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Oh that makes a difference my friend, and that heavy right wrist you have does not help matters. >:)

LMAO! My wrist has a twitching problem, it's not my fault! Yea I realize that the exhaust and other mods I have cause a loss of MPG's but when someone is getting around 20 more than me makes me wonder if I really do ride too hard. I'd like to hear from someone else with a full exhaust, PCV or other fuel controller, and an aftermarket air filter on their average mpg.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
LMAO! My wrist has a twitching problem, it's not my fault! Yea I realize that the exhaust and other mods I have cause a loss of MPG's but when someone is getting around 20 more than me makes me wonder if I really do ride too hard. I'd like to hear from someone else with a full exhaust, PCV or other fuel controller, and an aftermarket air filter on their average mpg.
Did you buy that bike for gas mileage? :wink2:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I averaged 37 mpg on my '06 and average 43 (back roads and 80 on the freeway) on my '14. I saw 50 once only because a state trooper was in front of me for 30 miles.

·
Administrator
13,564 Posts
FYI miles on each bike
2005 DL1000 - 58,000
2008 DL1000 - 98,000
2014 DL 650 - 10,200
2014 DL1000 - 24,000
You put 98,000 miles on the 2008 in three years! Wow, that's a LOT of riding!

..Tom

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mileage is better on my 2014 VS my 2004 if I keep revs below 4k, I can get close to 400km/tank on V2 VS 300km on V1, and V2 has smaller tank.
Wow that's impressive indeed, I'd be satisfied with ~350km on a tank so will be seeing if I can keep it below 4K rpm.

Wonder how the 16 tooth front sprocket I'm going to install will muddy things up?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts