StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a curious thought. I ride with +2 on the rear sprocket and the last time I changed my chain, I added an extra link to give me more room for adjustments. Does that affect anything or is performance based strictly on the gears themselves?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You actually added 2 links. None of that makes any difference. It's the bigger rear sprocket that makes a difference, not the length of the chain. As long as the chain has the proper free play, it doesn't matter how many links it has.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sprocket and gear size affect performance (speed/torque)... The length of the chain will only effect your wheel base... Wheel base distance has it's own set of characteristics... such as wheelie abliity vs hwy stability, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Theoretically: a larger sprocket will have less "stress" on a chain.......i.e. longer chain life. You will never see any difference in the real world, but on paper, the chain is happier........!!!!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! That's how I though it worked, but it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Sometimes racers searching for that last .0000001% of handling prowess will add or subtract chain links in order to shorten or lengthen wheelbase a wee bit.

It makes no conceivable difference in the real world, of course.

Having done a bit of race wrenching, I can tell you the placebo effect is real...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chain Length Effect

Ditto Bwringer, especially with the DLs being on the long side, you'd have to take off 2" or more to begin to notice a difference in turns...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts