StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always noticed choppers, cruisers, cafe riders and even some sportbikes with exhaust tape wrapped around their pipes and headers. I know that they reduce the radiated exhaust heat and maintains higher temperature inside the pipes allowing all fuel to burn and create greater horsepower but I NEVER see them on Vstroms or touring bikes for that matter. Why is that? Does the addition of the tape work against the Strom or do people simply find them to be ugly looking.:confused:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Unless you have a specific heat problem you're trying to address, I wouldn't recommend it. Bikes with undertail exhaust can sometimes benefit from it so you don't cook your *$& but the Wee doesn't really have a problem with that. Most people do it for the look. The tape will trap moisture under it, and can cause the exhaust to corrode without you seeing it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
1--ugly
2--may cause the exhaust pipe metal to overheat
3--it is not about fuel burn. It is about maintaining the high temperature of the exhaust gases so the sonic wave of the exhaust pulses remains at a high speed to promote efficient scavenging...the speed of the wave relates to temperature. And it is about being a poser. About those speed-of-sound waves: Burns Stainless LLC - Exhaust Theory

G

·
Something often missed is the fact that the Wee has a sophisticated and finely tuned fuel injection system. The fuel is metered for optimal burn rates and clean running.
Choppers tend to have carburetors which are crude and sloppy for lack of a better adjective. Nobody can tell me that Ace Choppers (or any of that ilk) will give the fuel system the same care as the Suzuki engineering people. They lack they tools and time to do a thorough job.
Think fine mist versus fire hose....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input guys. I should've figured the tape to be more applicable to bikes with a carb system but I thought there would be some more insight on some other benefits. won't be adding tape to my Wee.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts

A few years ago when I owned my "Connie", while cleaning out my pilot jets one spring, I decided to wrap the headers down to the 1st junction. I did a good job and even used the supplied protective paint. The results with this 4 carb. transverse 4 were that it made a noticeable difference in the low to mid range and my fan ran less in the hot summer heat. I did check it a couple of times for rust which it didn't get.
As far as the theory goes the tape stops the cold ram air from hitting and cooling the pipe near the exhaust outlet which in turn causes a sharp resistance to the exhaust flow rates especially in the low to mid-range area. Of course it keeps interior cowling temps down which help cylinder cooling.

I have wondered about trying it on my Wee but as mentioned carb equipped engines are different from FI equipped engines.
That said I might still give it a go as it would be much easier to do on the Wee.

If you in fact do try it (can't hurt can it) let us know how it works out.

I think a ceramic coating would be better but way too expensive just to experiment with.

Great topic though!
Gary

·
Registered
219 Posts
The benefits of keeping the heat inside the exhaust-pipes is well documented. I dont think we need to re-hash that fact.
Also, I doubt very much that the way the fuel is fed into the engine really has any bearing how well the exhaust gasses are flowing.

HOWEVER: An EFI engine would tend to 'respond' to wrapping the exhaust differently than carburetor simply due to the fact that EFI has 'feedback' from the O2 sensor to maintain engine-efficiency. Obviously, a carberated engine would need to be 'manually' re-tuned to take full advantage of *any* changes in the way engine-breathing behaves.

When it comes insulating the exhaust-pipes, there are other options besides the standard cloth-like "tape" or a ceramic-coating.

If you do any research on the subject you will find there are also available pipe-wrap material which is held on with metal bands. There is even 'sleeving' which is slipped over the pipe.

Check out this website for all kinds of options. ==> Heatshield Products

·
Registered
244 Posts
i wrapped the front pipe - definitely love the serious utility look it provides :]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wrapped Pipe

I would recommend against it. Performance improvement would be unnoticeable and durability would decrease.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts