StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a set of aluminum panniers in the $300 range and found a few links to guys that used to make them and sell them to fellow adv riders on various sites like here and advrider and vsri, etc. But it seems as though they all either quit making them or, in at least one case, he didn't send product after recieving payment. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put Pelican Storms on my DL1000, $117.50 each. I bought the mounting kit from, Happy-trail.com for $50.00, and the racks on Ebay for $75.00, plus $25.00 for shipping. The Pelicans are plastic and wont dent like aluminum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Aluminum bags look cool, I will admit. But, finding ones in that price range will be unlikely. Which is why I'm so stoked with the ugly ass pelicans I have on the bike now. Absolutely bombproof, watertight and inexpensive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Aluminum bags look cool, I will admit. But, finding ones in that price range will be unlikely. Which is why I'm so stoked with the ugly ass pelicans I have on the bike now. Absolutely bombproof, watertight and inexpensive.
I didn't get mine because they look cool, I got them because they're tough, waterproof, and if they act as crash guards, I can hammer them back into some semblance of their original shape so they can get me home. I just don't like plastic luggage, I don't trust it, though I'm considering a Pelican top case because I think they make a good product.

To the OP, another option that might be in your price range is Happy Trails scratch and dent stuff. Do you already have a rack? That'd drop the price nicely, possibly not to $300, but close. I got my scratch and dent Cascades for $575 shipped with a rack.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have Journey Rider Panniers and they were around $350 but I see from the website he has a set up for $299. He's out of Illinois and the cases have been good for me so far with no issues (and they've been through some torrential downpours and still kept my kit dry.

You can check him out here

The mounting hardware was the cost bit hardest around $560 for all of the SW Motech mounting gear.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My buddy just made a set ofthese into some really nice, side opening Aluminum bags...they cleaned up nice (painted the inside 2/3rds black and outer 1/3 cover color-matched!:thumbup:

More traditional, these are just over $300.

I was looking at Muffin Top at around $300 per set.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just don't like plastic luggage, I don't trust it, though I'm considering a Pelican top case because I think they make a good product.
You may want to look at a couple of manufacturers other than Pelican. I got a brand new Explorer 4820 hard case (similar to a Pelican 1550) for $25 on eBay. Very tough and completely waterproof.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You may want to look at a couple of manufacturers other than Pelican. I got a brand new Explorer 4820 hard case (similar to a Pelican 1550) for $25 on eBay. Very tough and completely waterproof.
Is the brand "Explorer"? I have a top plate I can tweak to mount whatever, just need something hard that I can use for electronics and the like.

Sorry for the thread jack OP, hope you're getting the info you're looking for.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I should have mentioned top-loaders are a must for me which eliminates Pelicans. I'm just looking for a lighter alternative to my ammo cans which are great but weigh 39 pounds a pair.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks guys. I should have mentioned top-loaders are a must for me which eliminates Pelicans. I'm just looking for a lighter alternative to my ammo cans which are great but weigh 39 pounds a pair.
Pelicans do come in a top loading variety, 1430 and 1440's IIRC.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Pelican makes 1430 and 1440 top-loaders. The 1430s are 5.6 lbs each.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pelican makes 1430 and 1440 top-loaders. The 1430s are 5.6 lbs each.
Did not know that---thought they were all suitcase style.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have Journey Rider Panniers and they were around $350 but I see from the website he has a set up for $299. He's out of Illinois and the cases have been good for me so far with no issues (and they've been through some torrential downpours and still kept my kit dry.

You can check him out here

The mounting hardware was the cost bit hardest around $560 for all of the SW Motech mounting gear.
Just got off the phone with the Journey Rider guy and he doesn't sell them anymore.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I bought a set off of Ebay. I think I paid $375.00 with shipping.I used them for a month. They are sitting in my garage on a shelf. I had them powder coated. Some welds had to be redone(not a problem with a few friends that know how to weld). They are 9" wide. The butt print was 42" or 43" wide. I switched to ammo cans. They are 7.5" wide. I modified the lids to use only one lock per can.The lids stay on permanently. I had them powder coated. The cost was $28.00 for the cans, $10.00 for SS hardware, $40.00 for powder coating and 3 hours of my time.
I really like aluminum panniers but 9" is a bit big.Aluminum panniers really need some type of coating, paint or an inside bag. This is the best "Cheap" Solution. Another excellent "Cheap" Solution is Pelican or Pelican Type Case. I have side opening bags on my BMW. You get used to either way pretty quickly. Ammo cans with rattle can paint should run near $40.00.

Les

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Happy Trails To You

They're not the cheapest, but it's really hard to beat Happy Trails.

Suzuki Vstrom DL650/1000 Pannier Kit - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers

I have the cliff cut Denali's powder coated black and they have served me for thousands of miles and never a single problem. My Alaska trip was over 10,000 miles and it rained probably 20 of the days I was on the road, but they never leaked a drop. Their puck mounting is da chit...... Do what I did and take baloney sandwiches to work for a couple months to save up the cash because they are worth it. I had pelicans previously, but IMO they are not even in the same ballpark as the Denali's so its not a fair comparison.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts