StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Wee and love it most of the time. I keep thinking I would like a more powerful engine when on the open desert highways. A Tiger might suit me but not the price. Would I find the Vee a more relaxed highway cruiser than the Wee? The idea of owning both seems nutty on some level.
The only negative I find on the Wee is that I get tired of the constant gear shifting when scooting around town? I test rode a BMW f800st and pretty much could leave it in 2nd gear for all in town speed limits. But the tall riding position and visibility on the Wee offset the constant shifting.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a Wee and love it most of the time. I keep thinking I would like a more powerful engine when on the open desert highways. A Tiger might suit me but not the price. Would I find the Vee a more relaxed highway cruiser than the Wee? The idea of owning both seems nutty on some level.
The only negative I find on the Wee is that I get tired of the constant gear shifting when scooting around town? I test rode a BMW f800st and pretty much could leave it in 2nd gear for all in town speed limits. But the tall riding position and visibility on the Wee offset the constant shifting.
Absolutely the Vee is going to be more relaxed on the highway as it has a true overdrive 6th speed.

Around town, I love my Wee. The first 3 gears on the bike are very short and spaced closely together. I find that 4th works well for me from 30-60 mph which is pretty much all of my in-town riding. If you don't feel the short lower gears are appopriate, why not try a different final drive ratio. Throw a different front sprocket on there (1 tooth larger) and see what you think before dumping the Wee. That would give you some good 3rd gear cruising and make the bike more relaxed on the highway.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The Vee is a great all rounder for just about anything. most of the time I go down the intown highways in 5th gear, I don't need to go to 6th. the wind doesn't blow you around as much on the highway either, both are great bikes and a sprocket change may help you get a little more of what you are looking for for a lot less money. Cheers-BB

·
Registered
671 Posts
I also agree that the Vee would be more relaxed on long highway stretches.

I will say that I chuckle every time a bike rider says that they don't like shifting gears. You know - there is a fix for that. A scooter or one of bikes that come with Auto transmission (I think FJR has the option).

To me - gear shifting on the bike is natural. I don't see how you will shift less with a Vee though. You will have better experience on the highway, but otherwise - you will have to shift the same if you are coming to a stop or slowing to a crawl?

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I've ridden both. I have about 2,000 miles on a DL1000 through the Arizona desert and it is far more relaxed on the highway than the 650 is.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's funny. The thing I find boring about my Vee is that I can scoot around town at all speeds in 2nd gear. I'd almost consider getting a Wee as a 2nd bike and changing it for lower gearing. The 996 has enough power to lop up any hill in 1st. But, unless you work the clutch, 1st gear at idle revs gives you 10mph. I wouldn't mind being able to ride slower in 1st without slipping the clutch. [I have the 43-tooth rear -- YMMV]

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've owned both. The Wee is better for in town commuting, and stop and go traffic. The Vee is far superior on the interstate. It has a true overdrive which is awesome after constantly looking for 7th gear while riding the Wee

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I have both parked outside right now. I have only good things to say about both bikes. If you find yourself longing for more power the Vee delivers. The engine is very relaxed on the highway compared to the Wee. That said, the Wee is no slouch on the highway. It is spinning faster and you do notice it, but you're far from straining the engine.

I can't say I've ever noticed that I'm doing a lot of shifting while riding through town on either bike. I guess if you're only using a very limited range of RPMs then it would require a lot of shifting. I can't really tell a difference between the two.

Bottom line is the Vee fits my personality. I never find myself wanting to ride the Wee over the Vee. My wife will tell you the exact opposite regarding the Wee over the Vee. Size wise it fits her better. To be honest I'd be afraid to see her with more power. She's already so ridiculously fast on the Wee that I might never catch her if she had a Vee.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
My wife will tell you the exact opposite regarding the Wee over the Vee. Size wise it fits her better. To be honest I'd be afraid to see her with more power. She's already so ridiculously fast on the Wee that I might never catch her if she had a Vee.
I am so jealous! I wish I could interest my wife in learning to ride.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I will say that I chuckle every time a bike rider says that they don't like shifting gears. You know - there is a fix for that. A scooter or one of bikes that come with Auto transmission (I think FJR has the option).
Actually, you still have to shift gears on the FJR AE. This is a regular, conventional motorcycle sans the clutch lever. I have heard people call it a "clutchless" bike too which is a misnomer. It has an electronic clutch. The computer operates the clutch for you. I have ridden one and it is a bit odd, but works pretty well.

There are other bikes out there such as the new Honda DN-01 and whatever that new Aprilia 800 or 850 with the auto transmission. All of the above are quite expensive and would kind of defeat the purpose of having an inexpensive commuter bike like a Wee or even a Vee.

There are plenty of scooter choices out there (Burgman, Majesty, T-max, Silverwing, even Kymco) but then you'd be riding a scooter. Do you really want to ride a scooter? In all honesty, I could see myself on a Burgman 400 for everyday commuting as they are a very nice riding scoot, but geez I wouldn't fit the demographic of that.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Actually, you still have to shift gears on the FJR AE. This is a regular, conventional motorcycle sans the clutch lever.
I sat on one at a dealership today. Reached for the clutch lever...it wasn't there. Yuck...it really changed my attitude about the bike. Didn't think of it as a "real" motorcycle after that. Strange because I love my automatic ATV, but a bike needs a clutch lever.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I sat on one at a dealership today. Reached for the clutch lever...it wasn't there. Yuck...it really changed my attitude about the bike. Didn't think of it as a "real" motorcycle after that. Strange because I love my automatic ATV, but a bike needs a clutch lever.
Yep, it is weird indeed. I think it would be perfect for somebody who has issues with their left hand or arthritis in their hands as it would help alleviate the stress of pulling in and letting out the clutch.

Edit: Which ATV are you referring to, the Vinson or the KFX? Those Kawis are some bad mamajamas. Have you ever ridden the Can Am Renegade 800?

·
Banned
88 Posts
Have you considered an FZ1?

Have you ever considered an FZ1? That bike has a comfortable riding position and I'm 6'7". I like the older, early 2000's ones better for the looks. They usually don't have many miles on those bikes.

I get to ride 4 different bikes regularly and the FZ1 is one of them and it is the easiest bike out of the lot to drive. Here is what it has going for it....

1) 140 hp engine that has a huge rev range(11.5K) and typically I don't get over 5K ever riding around town as it pulls strong from 3k. It is a smooth engine and very easy to control.

2) Cable clutch that has a very light weight pull so it isn't tiring in traffic to hold in. The transmission is light, fast, and effortless to shift also. My Vee bike I truely like as a highway bike is like shifting a tank transmission in 1st and 2nd gear and 1st gear is geared low so you have to shift quick. You can take your time going to 2nd on the FZ1. The FZ1's engine is happy in any gear and any rpm above 2.5K and you can stay in a gear a long time since the rev range is huge.

3) The FZ1 is my friends bike and I tease him by calling it the scooter. He replies that it is a "Super scooter." I call it a scooter because of the riding position and that it is so easy to ride and it handles really well. And when you want you have a very fast bike. The Vee is no whimp but that R1 engine in the FZ1 will have you saying "holly crap" when you get on it.

4) The FZ1 is quite comfortable but if I had a choice for highway cruising I'd probably pick the Vee for the riding position even though the inline 4 engine of the FZ1 has lower amplitude vibrations.

Just a thought, as having different engine types keeps things interesting.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
RE: Does anyone own a wee and a vee?

I own a 2007 Vee and I had a 2008 Wee for about a year at the same time. I enjoyed the Wee but I kept the Vee. I sold the Wee in May. I found the Wee fun for tooling arount the Island but for 2 up or for the canyons I love the Vee. On the open hiway there is no comparison, the Vee has passing power at 75mph , just drop it down to 4th gear tac it up to 8grand, I hit 5th and I am doing a bucktwenty no problem, then I back off and it calms right down, I throw it into 6th gear and I am back to citizen commuter at 75mph. I can't really find anything I don't like about my DL1000.
Good Luck on your decisionm I made mine.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Edit: Which ATV are you referring to, the Vinson or the KFX? Those Kawis are some bad mamajamas. Have you ever ridden the Can Am Renegade 800?
All my ATVs are automatic. I use the KFX on the MX track and I love the fact that it is always in the right gear. Shifting would slow me down. It's a double standard on my part, but the auto on the track is fantastic. Never had a chance to try the Renegade.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wee vs. Vee

I just did a 5 day camping trip on the Wee. Went like this. Tucson, Az > Moab, Utah > Grand Junction, Co. > Telluride,CO. > Mesa Verde, CO. > Ouray, CO. > Mesa Verde,Co. > Tucson, AZ.
The weather was threatening the entire way but I only dealt with monsoon like rains from Globe, Az back to Tucson, on the way home, at night.
We all know what sidewinds are like on a tall loaded bike.
The Wee is simply amazing. I wish I had time and money to try every bike out there. But there was nothing this little inexpensive bike didn't handle with aplomb. And at 5'6" 180 lbs., I can lift it and wrestle it when I get tired and am stumbling around a parking lot. I can barely touch my toes to the ground with the stock suspension.
What would the $12000 version be if Suzuki made it?
I realize I won't buy a Vee unless it is near home and the price is too good to pass up. The added weight high up from the larger cylinders (?) has me worried.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts