StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never run into an oil filter that has to be this tight on any other motor.:mod2_eek: I have seen this type of gasket/O ring before too. It just seems like it is way too tight, and I was wondering if anyone has experimented to see if it can be less tight & still not leak?:cool: Bob...

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm with Tom on this one, why would you not just do the manufacturers procedure? It is not that difficult to put on or get off.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I have a loose definition of "first contact".

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
2 turns past first contact is not really that tight. I noticed this last weeked when I did my oil change. With the suzuki wrench and a 3/8 rachet, it does not take much torque to get there. Best to go by the book on this one...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You will note the Zook filter o-ring is round, it requires further tightening than your more common flat sided o-ring.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Two turns past "Actual" contact is pretty tight and usually won't go further without breaking something. Too tight might make a clunk when you ride over smart bumps.

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
The first time I change my oil I thought damn that's tight and just spun it on as tight as I could by hand since I didn't have an endcap type wrench. Well I had to go buy one so I could tighten the now dripping oil filter.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Again, should you use pretty much any aftermarket filter, you will follow the instructions on that filter. Most are 3/4 turn after contact. Its all I ever do.

cheers

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys & gals. I have the answer. Turn it down till it won't leak:cool:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Thanks guys & gals. I have the answer. Turn it down till it won't leak:cool:

This is madness, utter madness.

Oh, the humanity.............

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
These are your people.
Your people are my people and my people are your people, too.

Incidentally, I'm doing an oil change today.

I think I'll get a documentary film crew out here to do an hour-and-a-half feature on the oil filter torquing process.

Watch your PBS stations for details.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Upside-downside

Certainly the fat round o-ring is different than just about every other oil-filter gasket I've ever seen. With the use of a 5 dollar flat strap oil filter wrench, the specified tightness is easily reached and reversed when it is time to change the filter. Then why not do it the way Suzuki says? If that filter ever comes loose and falls off when you're riding it, you'll be lucky if it just siezes your engine, as opposed to lubing your rear tire and dropping you on the pavement. Hmm, five dollar wrench vs. trashed engine and crash. What to do?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I just did it the "Suzuki way".

With a cheap stamped steel socket-type oil filter wrench.

I needed a flashlight and magnifying glass to accurately determine "first contact".

It was almost painless.

Hooray for me!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts