StromTrooper banner

Does your Wee/Vee tires have chicken strips?

• Yes, I'd never think of leaning that far over

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Yes, but I can't figure out how to get rid of them

Votes: 66 33.8%
  • No, I'm a regular knee-dragging canyon carver on my Strom

Votes: 45 23.1%
  • No, I ride the dark side

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Piggy-backing from the 'how to not panic in a turn' thread, I just want to see if any Strom riders really push the edge with their typical street riding.

I suppose I never took my sportier YZF's/CBR's all the way to the edge, but after a few recent rides on my Wee where I thought I was leaning it pretty far over, turns out I still had about 1cm of tire left. Anyone regularly wear out their whole tire?

https://picasaweb.google.com/105791926808521321197/Desktop#5866817612746995490

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I have a belt-sander and centerstand.

My chicken strips are gone.

So are my feelers.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Garandman does, but on the track.:yesnod:

·
Registered
833 Posts
I dont know with other tires, but with PR3 you scrape the feelers before the last 5mm of rear tire usable zone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BT023s and the rear has 1/4". Front has 3/8-1/2. Drag and fold pegs and still, it's as close as it gets. I'm not a racer, but I like making sparks.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Some tires and riding styles will make it hard to get rid of chicken strips.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was always under the impression "Chicken Strips" refers to having a flat strip down the middle of the rear tire because you were to "chicken" to lean it over and keep a round profile on the tires. (of course this also happens if you put on loads of highway miles). But it seems many people refer to the outermost rubber mold fingers as chicken strips. In other words, you don't lean the bike over far enough to wear off the rubber doohickies.

Is there a universally accepted definition? Or maybe I was always wrong about my definition.:confused:

(a little googling and apparently I'm the only one that thinks the worn middle area is the chicken strip).

·
Super Moderator
13,087 Posts
I was always under the impression "Chicken Strips" refers to having a flat strip down the middle of the rear tire because you were to "chicken" to lean it over and keep a round profile on the tires. (of course this also happens if you put on loads of highway miles). But it seems many people refer to the outermost rubber mold fingers as chicken strips. In other words, you don't lean the bike over far enough to wear off the rubber doohickies.

Is there a universally accepted definition? Or maybe I was always wrong about my definition.:confused:

(a little googling and apparently I'm the only one that thinks the worn middle area is the chicken strip).
I've always understood chicken strips to be the part of the tread nearest the sidewall that does not have wear on it. I usually don't have much there but who cares? It's all good fun to joke about but in reality it means very little.

..Tom

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have "chicken strips" Only because most off the roads where I live are flat and straight... that said, I do enjoy pushing the edge as far as I can!

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Most of my tire changes are due to side wear to the indicators that say "Time to Buy New". I normally have sufficient tread in the middle to really make it painful to get rid of them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Street riding, yes, every bike has some virgin territory near the edges, the amount varying with the bike and it's intended use.

Track riding, it's all getting used, every last millimeter.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I have eliminated the chicken strips on a Strom, I stopped using Anakees because I was tearing up the sidewalls on the rear tyre. Not making a point of it, just happened to happen at that time.

Last few sets of tyres, no, but we've had many months of either very hot or wet weather, neither of which are conducive to spirited riding.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
Some sets I've had a strip, some I've run out to the edge. Mostly depends if a set was on the bike for a trip to Arkansas with friends on sport bikes. They're always amazed when they get done smoking knee pucks through a long stretch of twisties and I'm still right there in their mirrors. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
One of the former Ducati riders calls them "the millimeter of shame".

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would never be critical of a non-sportbike with chicken strips on the tires. However, a full on sport bike (GSX-R, CBR, R1, etc), I'm more judgmental of.

I still have pretty big chicken strips on my Glee, but that is because there are no twisty roads in S. Texas and I'm still getting used to the handling of the bike.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts