StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a minor back problem and would like as back rest when she rides with me. Do any of the top cases (Givi, etc.) function well as a back rest, or would I do better with something like a Sergent or Pirates Lair (which are the same), or some other brand? I have an 07 Wee.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Most of the top boxes come with a backrest or have one available as an option. Be sure to have her sit on the bike so you can position it properly before bolting it to your existing rack. It will need to be further back than you think. Look at GIVI, Shad, JC Whitney, etc.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The Shad SH-52 I have came with one. Not sure how useful it is as the wife was already 6 months pregnant when it arrived. It may be a while before I get any passenger feedback from her. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
One of the GIVI cases I use has one one it. On the GIVI cases there is no option as far as where to put the back rest pad - it has to go in one place only due to the curve of the case. Passengers report that it is better than leaning against the molded hinges, but it is not comfortable. After a while it becomes irritating.

·
Registered
988 Posts
We just used bungee straps to affix a butt pad on the front of the case. My wife says it works fine.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I considered getting a back pad for my Givi case, but it's not needed. The back armor that's in my wife's jackets offers plenty of padding -- she doesn't even notice the hinges.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My girlfriend has been very happy with the backrest on the JC Whitney case, and they're on sale right now through Sears so you wouldn't be out to much even if she didn't like it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My girlfriend has a minor back problem and would like as back rest when she rides with me. Do any of the top cases (Givi, etc.) function well as a back rest, or would I do better with something like a Sergent or Pirates Lair (which are the same), or some other brand? I have an 07 Wee.
I have the Givi with the backrest; my daughter (5'7" 145#) loves it, but my wife (5'2" 115#) hates it - says it pushes her forward too much.
I would suggest trying different setups as much as possible to see what fits best.

KevinL

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I considered getting a back pad for my Givi case, but it's not needed. The back armor that's in my wife's jackets offers plenty of padding -- she doesn't even notice the hinges.
+1 I've offered several times to buy the back pad for my Givi but the wife says it's not needed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got a JC Whitney top box mainly for a backrest with the added benefit of storage, without having to pay the price of one of the popular brands. Wife loved it and kid loved it compared to riding with nothing at all, and I loved the storage. Then it popped off going 60 miles an hour on the way home from work (no one on the back, thank God). Then it popped off again before getting home.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and I thought I had done a pretty good job of installing it considering the quality was commensurate with the price (you get what you pay for). I sent the pieces back to JC Whitney and they gave me a full refund plus shipping, no questions asked. Now I am shopping for a box I can trust, and willing to spend a little more.

Before I bought the box, I'd read a review where the same thing happened to someone else. I wrote it off as a single case, and they probably were not as good as me with a file and a wrench. I should have had my head examined for cheaping out on the backrest for a passenger.

There are a few posts on the forum where people have had their JCW boxes for a long time and like them, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
251 Posts
well.........

What I have done 2 times now is to go to my local upholstery shop and have Robert make me a pad. He's done a bang up great job 2 times and the price was way more reasonable than a factory job. He made on for my BMW RT and he made one for the second of my FJR's and they both were color coded and looked and worked good.

Flint

1 - 14 of 14 Posts