StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I just left the FZ1 community with the untimely passing of my FZ1 in the mountains of WV (I had the choice of running over the guy in front of me who low-sided, or running over his bike. I chose his bike which didn't end well for my bike. I survived with some broken bones.)

I JUST purchased my '06 Vee this past weekend, and the seller threw in a set of 2 Bros. slip-ons still in the box. I see on this board that the general consensus is that these pipes are pretty frickin loud. I guess that's for me to decide. What I want to know is whether swapping the stockers for the 2 Bros. is going to require me to plunk down on a power commander and re-map. Perhaps this was answered years ago in a thread far far away, but I hadn't come across it. In general, I really like the way this bike performs, and don't really want to tinker too much at the risk of screwing something up as this will be my year-round mode of transportation (save for the snowy/icy days.)

Or, in lieu of a power commander, are there any other options?

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
You need a remap or a PCIII in my opinion, the Stroms already flirt with running too lean with the stock set-up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
comander vs Cobra

Hello dare.....

I have an 06 Vee with Akrapovic cans installed by the previous owner, the bike also has a Cobra "fuel thingy" and it seems to smooth the bike out......

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I can't argue with the PC III recommendation. But the way I look at it, since every bike is different, why not slap on the 2 bros and get a custom map done with a dyno? IMHO beats tinkering with settings on a PC III by butt sensors and ears.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'll only post what I find to be true about my '07 Vee.

I have a set of the newer design 2 Bros. with the DB killer tips and I find the note emmiting from the pipes to be descent and it doesn't offend my neighbors. I can't say the same for the 1st design pipes that I tried earlier.

My bike runs a little lean down below 4,000 rpms with the stock pipes or the 2 Bros installed. It isn't obtrusive and the surging is very minimal at best. The mapping in my ECU is stock and my TB's are in sinc and TPS are adjusted like they should.

I did try running with a PCIII with a Fuel Moto map installed and it did clean-up the bottom end a little but the decrease in fuel mileage wasn't worth it. Yes I could have spent a lot of time playing with the map, but I'd rather be riding.

A buddy has a Yosh box and I may play around with it and try to clean up the bottom end a little, but so far I'm very happy with the way my bike runs. I ride about 90% of the time below 4,500 rpms so if it was bad I'd know.

One thing I'll say about this, if your bike has chudder issues the leanness will exaggerate this issue. This is purely subjective on my part though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Jucs box I'm also coming from a FZ1 to an '07 V. Still have my FZ though. I have a yet to be installed PCIII and some Leo Vice SKB's on the way. Maybe we can compare notes.

I am going to first try the Fuel Moto map but if fuel economy drops that won't work for me. Will have to see.

If I understand correctly, our bikes do not have an O2 sensor and the ecu sets fuel delivery based on coolant temp, ambient temp, altitude, throttle position and rpm. It doesn't have the ability to actually know what the air fuel ration is so it won't adjust for intake or exhaust mods. Any more knowledgeable person please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I can't argue with the PC III recommendation. But the way I look at it, since every bike is different, why not slap on the 2 bros and get a custom map done with a dyno? IMHO beats tinkering with settings on a PC III by butt sensors and ears.
I'll answer with my opinion:

The 2Bros map for PCIII works great; there is a very minor loss of smoothness at low RPM, but otherwise, the bike runs very well.

The DynoJet map for a completely stock bike really improves the fueling.

So, if you decide to remove the 2Bros for whatever reason, you will still enjoy benfits from the PCIII. I got a used one for $300. In my area, that's the price of a single dyno tuning session.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I rode my Vee with the 2Bros slip-ons for about 10K miles without a PC. I found I really had to stay on top of the throttle body balancing and even then, when I rode from high altitude to low altitudes, I had a heck of a time keeping the bike from snorting and popping. So, I added a PC-V and all my problems went away. So did my gas mileage, but the bike runs a lot better. I should probably qualify that last statement. I get 38-40 mph running over the highway. Where I live the interstate is posted 75 mph and I often need to be going that fast or higher to stay in traffic. I do get over 40 mpg at more reasonable speeds.
Steve

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have an 02 and mine definitely needed the PCIII after putting on the 2Bros. I had previously Yoshed the ECU but decided that I wanted to be able to fine tune and dyno at a later date so I Yoshed it back to stock had a horrible ride home (very lean, surging and loss of power). Put the PCIII on and haven't looked back. Yes my gas mileage suffers but I didn't buy the 1000 for MPG. It's a blast to drive compared to the stock map. DO IT!!!

·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
My old 2005 with Leo Vince race exhaust, PCIII and stock air filter always averaged in the 40's, also hit 50 a few times while On trips. The issues with fueling on the 1000 models isn't exaggerated, it is for real.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Straight answer: YES

For me, I bought a PC3 because the bike ran lean with the stock cans. I sampled a few maps on that thread, settled on one from Cheff or Crisco and was content. I installed the 2Bros cans with the DB killers and settled once again with a map from the thread. Then I got the bug to have it Dyno'd professionally last year. WOW! :jawdrop: What a difference! The bike runs like butter from idle to red line. Therefore, I would certainly recommend it. You'll find it's money well spent.

(EDIT: My map by is posted somewhere around page 22 or 23 of the PCIII map thread.)

As for volume, the 2Bros exhaust seems loud at first (probably because we're used to stock) though now seems to have quieted over time. Don't have comparison numbers v. new v. OEM but, at 1 meter a couple weeks ago, it was 93db at idle and 102db at 4k rpm. The reality, at highway speeds, the wind noise is louder than my exhaust.

All that said, I've always worn earplugs even before installing the aftermarket cans.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that was awesome of you all to chime in for the noob. Like one member said, I enjoy my time riding much more than tinkering. Once it's set up, I'm done. With that said, I think I'm gonna stick with the stockers for now, and when I have the money to have it professionally tuned, I'll probably go that route. I will definitely post up my thoughts on the before an after. I kinda assumed the aftermarket exhaust would inherently be less fuel efficient as they are "performance" mods. I'm okay with that. If some on here are still getting into the 40s MPG with aftermarket mods and mapping, that works reall well for me. I was probably up around 40 on my Fazer with aftermarket exhaust. I really love this Vee. It's totally different from anything I've owned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Obviously throttle control will ultimately dictate fuel consumption.

I've gotten as little as 33MPG when riding quite spiritedly and around 42 at a steady even 75mph.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, that was awesome of you all to chime in for the noob. Like one member said, I enjoy my time riding much more than tinkering. Once it's set up, I'm done. With that said, I think I'm gonna stick with the stockers for now, and when I have the money to have it professionally tuned, I'll probably go that route. I will definitely post up my thoughts on the before an after. I kinda assumed the aftermarket exhaust would inherently be less fuel efficient as they are "performance" mods. I'm okay with that. If some on here are still getting into the 40s MPG with aftermarket mods and mapping, that works reall well for me. I was probably up around 40 on my Fazer with aftermarket exhaust. I really love this Vee. It's totally different from anything I've owned.
Actually performance mods will improve fuel mileage if they are set up properly and the bike is still operated in a prudent manor. An engine is nothing but an air pump. The easier it breaths and exhales the more efficient it becomes. The lack of efficiency comes from a heavy hand that wants to extract all that new found power:mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts